Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

Howard couple blames illness on store carpet They were forced to close business


Wincing as she walks, Marie Fitzgerald shuffles slowly across her kitchen in Howard County to greet a visitor. The leather soles of her shoes scrape against the ceramic tile.

"Look at this," she says, pulling down the collar of her blouse to reveal swelling around her neck. "We've been poisoned."

During the last three years, Mrs. Fitzgerald, 47, and her husband, Chuck, 45, have suffered chronic headaches, sore throats and slurred speech, they say.

The culprit, they believe, is the carpet at their recently closed lighting store.

At 9 tonight on the CBS news magazine show, "Street Stories," the Fitzgeralds will tell their story.

Mrs. Fitzgerald says she has a pain "like someone has stabbed you in the back with a knife." Another pain, below her left knee, appears so severe that it causes her to occasionally stumble about her West Friendship home.

The sickness, which no physician has been able to diagnose, has cost the couple their livelihood, they say. Financial losses due to illness forced the Fitzgeralds to shut down their store -- Lighting Limited -- on U.S. 40 in Ellicott City earlier this month.

"Mentally, it's pretty well done us in," Mr. Fitzgerald said.

In addition to the Fitzgeralds, their employees and customers also suffered similar symptoms at their store. A lab in Georgia found no problems with the Fitzgeralds' carpet. However, a Massachusetts firm found that air that passed through the carpet killed mice.

Between 1988 and early 1990, 335 people complained to the federal government about health problems they attributed to new carpets, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. Most said they suffered headaches, watery eyes and other symptoms soon after having carpets installed.

The commission is now studying the chemical emissions from carpets to figure out what, if any, hazards they pose. A report is due later this fall.

The Fitzgeralds' problems began in November 1989 within weeks of installing a new brown and white carpet. Soon, all seven employees had developed symptoms, including dry throats, a burning sensation in their eyes and occasional forgetfulness. The couple brought in engineers to test the air conditioning system and the Maryland Occupational Safety and Health Program to test the air. Neither could find anything wrong.

Frustrated, the Fitzgeralds sold much of their inventory at a loss and moved to another store. However, soon after they installed carpeting in the new store, everybody began to get sick again.

Mr. Fitzgerald had used a remnant from the old carpet to line the bottom of the company van to transport lamps to the new store. One day, he noticed that the serial number on the bottom of the remnant almost matched the one on the new carpet.

Upon investigation, Mr. Fitzgerald learned that both carpets had been made by the same manufacturer. He declined to name the company, because he has not filed suit, something he says he plans to do.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad