Patrick R. HickeyRetired Chessie managerPatrick R. Hickey,...

Patrick R. Hickey

Retired Chessie manager


Patrick R. Hickey, a retired payroll manager for the Chessie System railroad, died Sunday of cancer at his home on Washington Avenue in Lansdowne.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Hickey, who was 65, was to be offered at 9:30 a.m. today at St. Clement's Roman Catholic Church, 2700 Washington Ave., Lansdowne.


He retired in 1986, having begun his career with the Baltimore and Ohio railroad in 1944 as a part-time employee in Gassaway, W.Va., while still a high school student.

The native of Elkins, W.Va., he served in the Army in the late 1940s and graduated from the University of Dayton in 1951, the same year the railroad first sent him to the Baltimore area.

He is survived by a sister, Mary Jo Crimi of Rochester, N.Y.; two brothers, John D. Hickey of Indiana, Pa., and the Rev. Paul Hickey of Huttonsville, W.Va.; a longtime friend, Genevieve F. Debus of Lansdowne; and many nieces and nephews.

Rodney L. Edwards

Army employee

Rodney L. Edwards, a civilian employee of the Army at Fort Meade, died Thursday of cancer at Baltimore County General Hospital.

Services for Mr. Edwards, who was 31 and lived in Odenton, were to be conducted at 1 p.m. today at Chestnut Grove A.M.E. Church in Rocks.

He had done personnel work at the Army post for about three years. Earlier, he managed Foot Locker shoe stores in the Baltimore-Washington area for about five years after working in the Washington area as a department manager for Peoples Drug Stores.


Born in Baltimore but reared in Aberdeen, he was a graduate of Aberdeen High School.

He is survived by his mother, Dorothy Edwards of Aberdeen; his father, Jesse L. Edwards of Edgewood; four sisters, Lawana L. Edwards of Baltimore, Linda L. Brown of Fayetteville, N.C., Sharon L. Hall of Havre de Grace and Robbin L. Thomas of Darmstadt, Germany; a brother, Jesse L. Edwards Jr. of Aberdeen; four nephews; and a niece.

Scott Newhall

Newspaper editor

Scott Newhall, the flamboyant newspaper editor whose love of lively writing helped make the San Francisco Chronicle a regional powerhouse, has died at age 78.

Mr. Newhall died Monday night of acute pancreatitis at a hospital in Valencia, his son, Skip Newhall, said.


As executive editor, Mr. Newhall turned the Chronicle from a stolid and sedate newspaper into an iconoclastic and aggressive one.

In a 1971 interview, Mr. Newhall recalled that when he took over in 1952, the paper suffered because it "gave indications of being self-consciously self-important."

The Chronicle's circulation was then 155,000, stuck in third place behind the Examiner and the Call-Bulletin. It beat out only the News.

Helped by zany stories and such circulation boosters as a camel race and a treasure hunt with a $1,000 prize, the Chronicle was the city's top newspaper 10 years later with nearly 400,000 readers.

When he left in 1971, the Call-Bulletin and the News were no more and the Examiner had moved to the afternoon turf.

"He was a truly inventive, newspaper genius who was always extremely controversial," said Richard Reinhardt, who worked with Mr. Newhall and frequently lectures journalism students at the University of California.


He bought the Newhall Signal in 1963 and continued there as editor until 1988.