School programs offered
Northwest Middle School students will be offered several before- and after-school programs organized through the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services beginning Nov. 2.
The before-school program will be open 7:15 a.m. to 8:45 a.m. in the cafeteria, and offers a snack, social time and homework assistance. The fee is $5 to $10 per week, based on a sliding scale.
The after-school program offers five different activity sessions, one each day, from 3:30 p.m. to 6 p.m. in the school cafeteria. Each session operates six to eight weeks with a fee of $15 to $30, based on a sliding scale.
Afternoon fees include supervision, special instruction, snacks and activity fees; transportation home will be based on a sliding scale, ranging from free to $2.
The schedule of activities for the remainder of the year is:
* Mondays, Nov. 2 to Dec. 21, cheerleading.
* Tuesdays, Nov. 10 to Dec. 22, sports card collecting.
* Wednesdays, Nov. 4 to Dec. 16, drama.
* Thursdays, Nov. 5 to Dec. 17, health and beauty.
* Fridays, Nov. 6 to Dec. 18, bowling, with students meeting at Thunderheads Lanes at 4:30 p.m.;
all other dates meet in the cafeteria at 3:30 p.m.
To register, call Leslie Hinebaugh at 848-4049.
* Taneytown: An early morning electrical short was found in a building on Stumptown Road. The incident was discovered at 12:04 a.m. on Sunday.
* Uniontown: New Windsor firefighters were summoned to extinguish an automobile fire at 9:34 a.m. on Sunday on Middleburg Road.