Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

2 killed, 8 wounded in city Police kill man who pointed handgun at them; another man slain on playground


Ten men were shot in eight incidents in the city yesterday and early today.

Among them was an unidentified man who was fatally wounded by police when he pointed a handgun at them after breaking into a Mount Pleasant Street home and assaulting the residents.

Police said they were still seeking the identification of the dead man, described as betweeen 25-30-years-old.

Witnesses told police the man had gone to a house in the 3500 block of Mount Pleasant Street about 2:30 a.m. and allegedly said "I'm going to kill you." Residents said they did not know the man.

One occupant of the house wrestled to the street with the man. Police were called about the fight and found the man under a car.

Seven officers said the man came from under the car with a .25-cal. semiautomatic handgun and a knife. He was shot multiple times, a police spokesman said.

No officers were injured.

Seven other shootings occurred yesterday, including a homicide on North Spring Court.

Charles Smith, 25, of the 100 block of Aisquith St., was fatally wounded while he and a friend were talking to two men on a playground at the Frederick Douglass housing project in the 200 block of N. Spring Court about 2:30 p.m.

Police said the slaying of Mr. Smith and the wounding of his friend, Reginald McKeever, 25, of the 1300 block of E. Fayette St., appeared to be drug-related.

Shot in the right side, Mr. Smith was taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where he died about 3:15 p.m.

Mr. McKeever was shot in the arm, leg and side and was listed in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital.

In another shooting, Wendell McCoy, 19, of the 1400 block of N. Milton Ave., was shot in the right eye by a teen-age friend who was playing with a .38-caliber revolver in the basement of their home about 1:45 p.m.

Mr. McCoy is listed in critical condition at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Rickey Jones, 16, was charged with reckless endangerment in the incident and was being held at the Eastern District lockup.

Eastern District police reported four other men were shot in three incidents. Those incidents include:

* The wounding of Nathaniel Pryor, 29, of the 2100 block of E. Chase St., who was in the 1000 block of N. Collington Ave. when a gunman got out of a car and demanded Mr. Pryor's money about 10 p.m.

After he was robbed, Mr. Pryor turned and ran away when the gunman fired a shot, hitting him in the thigh.

Police said Mr. Pryor was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital and was listed in good condition.

* The wounding of two teen-age boys about 7:30 p.m. in the 300 block of E. Lanvale St.

Police said Marvin Watts, 16, of the 1700 block of Homestead St., and Reginald Tyler, 17, of the 400 block of Federal St., were sitting on the front steps of a house when they were approached by two men, one armed with a handgun.

Before the two victims could react, the gunman fired several shots at the youths.

Police said young Watts was hit in the right arm and right thigh.

His friend, police said, was shot in the back and shoulder.

Police said the two victims were taken to Shock Trauma, where they are listed in stable condition.

* The wounding of Anthony Moore, 28, of the 1900 block of N. Patterson Park Ave. He was walking in the 1800 block of N. Castle St. about 6:30 p.m. when a car approached and a gunman fired, hitting the victim in the left foot.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad