Tong SooHooOwned carryout shopsTong SooHoo, who owned...


Tong SooHoo

Owned carryout shops

Tong SooHoo, who owned carryout shops in Baltimore from the early 1940s until she retired about 10 years ago, died Monday of heart failure at Baltimore County General Hospital.

Services for Mrs. SooHoo, who was 87 and lived on Wild Cherry Road in Randallstown, were conducted yesterday at Grace and St. Peter's Episcopal Church, Park Avenue and Monument Street.

She operated the Hong Kong Restaurant in the 2100 block of Pennsylvania Ave. from the 1940s until the 1960s, when she became the owner of the House of Seto in the 5200 block of Reisterstown Road.

She operated the businesses and reared her family by herself because her husband, Gong SooHoo, who died in 1970, was ill.

The former Ang Soy Gin was a native of the Canton, China, area, and though they were married in 1923, she was unable to join her husband in this country until 1940, settling first in Scarsdale, N.Y.

Mrs. SooHoo was a volunteer in Chinese community programs at Grace and St. Peter's Church.

She is survived by two sons, Victor SooHoo of New Rochelle, N.Y., and W. Joseph SooHoo of Springfield, Pa.; two adopted sons, Donald SooHoo of Baltimore and Robert SooHoo of New York City; two daughters, Vicki Jean Wong of Oakland, Calif., and Helen Hayman of Nashua, N.H.; two sisters, one in Canton and one in Hong Kong; 13 grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.

Russell E. Eaton, a retired produce inspector who worked as a professional photographer, died Sunday at the Johns Hopkins Hospital of complications after heart surgery.

A memorial service for the 84-year-old Caton House Apartments resident will be conducted at 3 p.m. today at the Wesley Memorial United Methodist Church, 5602 Johnnycake Road.

He retired in 1970 after 41 years as an inspector for the Railroad Perishable Inspection Agency, checking cargoes of produce as they were delivered.

His career as a commercial photographer began as a hobby and continued until the late 1970s. For about 10 years after he ended his career in photography, he worked as an agent for Grempler Realty Inc.

The native of Chanute, Kan., served as an usher and as an adult Bible class teacher at the Wesley United Methodist Church. A member of the Palestine Lodge of the Masons, he was a former president of the Young at Heart Club at St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church in the Milford Mill area and studied wood carving at the Catonsville Senior Center.

His first wife, the former Ruth L. Hopkins, died in 1955; a son, Ronald Eaton of Basking Ridge, N.J., died June 11, and a stepdaughter, Constance Vail of Rochester, N.Y., died Sept. 26.

He is survived by his wife, the former Lucille V. Cronk; a daughter, Marilyn Hooper of Centreville; three stepdaughters, Marlene Horn of Rochester, N.Y., Carol Wilson of Abingdon and Susan Herreld of Bel Air; two brothers, Harold Eaton of St. Louis, and Eugene Eaton of Belleville, Ill.; 21 grandchildren; and 18 great-grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions could be made to the American Heart Association.

Mary Y. Griggs


Mary Y. Griggs, 31, a West Baltimore cosmetologist, died Thursday of a heart attack at the University of Maryland Hospital.

Services for Mrs. Griggs, who lived in West Baltimore for 10 years, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Gethsemane Spirit Temple, 3602 Gwynn Oak Ave.

She was a cosmetologist for 10 years at her mother's shop, Evelyn's House of Beauty, on Monroe Street near North Avenue.

Born in Baltimore, Mrs. Griggs was a 1977 graduate of Walbrook High School, where she was a varsity cheerleader.

She is survived by her husband of nine years, William Briggs; her parents, Evelyn Longus and Robert Longus Sr.; her brothers, Robert Longus Jr., Linwood Longus, Timothy Longus and Aaron Longus; and her sisters, Arlene and Charlene Longus. All are of West Baltimore.

The family suggests contributions to Gethsemane Sprit Temple, 3602 Gwynn Oak Ave., Baltimore 21215.

Ralph J. Smith


Ralph J. Smith, 80, a retired secondary school administrator and a former Army officer, died Wednesday of multiple strokes at the Keswick nursing home in Hampden.

Services for Mr. Smith, a resident of the West Baltimore neighborhood of Ashburton for 28 years, will be held at noon tomorrow at the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church, 2110 Madison Ave.

Mr. Smith worked for the city schools for 21 years, starting in 1956 as a mathematics teacher and department chairman at Dunbar High School. In 1968, he became an assistant principal at Douglass High School. During his last year before retirement in 1977, he served as assistant principal at Patterson High School.

Born in Miller's Ferry, Ala., he received his bachelor's degree in mathematics from Knoxville College in Tennessee in 1934.

He began his teaching career in 1935 in Alabama.

He went into the U.S. Army in 1941 and was commissioned in 1942. As a captain during World War II, he commanded a company whose mission was to create smoke screens in Belgium in 1944. He was promoted to major in 1950 and served six months in Korea. He returned to the Chemical Warfare Center in Edgewood, Md., and remained there until he left the Army in 1953.

In 1954, Mr. Smith received a master's degree in school administration from Columbia University in New York.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Marion Thacker; a son, Sidney Johnson of Inglewood, Calif.; a daughter, Susan Darnell Alston of Charlotte, N.C.; a brother, Huestis Smith of Washington; and five sisters, Tillie Kyle of Pine Bluff, Ark., Lucy Shelton of Culver City, Calif., Laura Perry of Englewood, N.J., Margaret Brooks of Detroit and B. Marie Jenkins of Baltimore.


Ray P. San Juan


Ray P. San Juan, an accountant and entrepreneur, died Wednesday of severe pneumonia at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He was 49.

Services for Mr. San Juan, a native of the Philippines who had lived in the Baltimore area for more than 20 years, most recently Perry Hall, are scheduled for 11 a.m. tomorrow at Rosedale Community Congregational Church, 7901 Redmore Road.

From 1988 until his death, Mr. San Juan ran Foxfield International Travel in Linthicum, which specialized in helping his countrymen visit their homeland.

"It was a losing business, and he turned it around through hard work, diligent effort and dedication," said his wife of four years, the former Dora Diokno.

Mr. San Juan was born in Santo Cristo Malolos in the Bulacan province of the Philippines. Trained as an accountant, he came to the United States when he was 26. He started work with Federal Yeast Co., in Dundalk as a cost accounting clerk and was later promoted to cost accountant and accounting supervisor. He later took a job as budget and pricing director with the Sealtest Dairy in Loch Raven, where he worked for 10 years.

In the 1980s, he worked as a comptroller, first at A. Frank & Sons on Redwood Street, then at the White Packing Co., in King George, Va. He later became project director at the Sealy Mattress Co. in Arbutus.

Mr. San Juan also was vice president of finance for Sleep Quarters in Norfolk, Va.

In addition to his wife, Mr. San Juan is survived by his son, Reynaldo San Juan Jr., of Parkside; two daughters, Mary Ellen San Juan and Sandra San Juan, both of Parkside; parents, Silvestre and Dolores San Juan, of Santo Cristo Malolos; four brothers, Freddie and Raul San Juan, both of Perry Hall, and Manny San Juan, of Hamilton Park, and Albert San Juan, of Santo Cristo Malolos; and a sister, Rebecca San Juan John, of Melbourne, Australia.

Marilyn D. Tatman, 57, an Anne Arundel County public school secretary for 21 years, died Tuesday of cancer at her home in Severna Park.

Services for Mrs. Tatman will be held at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at the Severna Park United Methodist Church, 731 Benfield Blvd.

Mrs. Tatman worked at Old Mill Middle School North in Millersville as secretary to the principal from 1975 until her death. Before that, she worked at Glen Burnie Park Elementary as an assistant secretary, after working a short time at Corcoran Elementary School in Glen Burnie.

She was born in Portsmouth, Va., and graduated from Granby High School in Norfolk, Va. She enjoyed gardening and making crafts.

Mrs. Tatman is survived by her husband of 36 years, Frank J. Tatman; two sons, Gary and John Tatman, both of Severna Park; two daughters, Leslie Siebold, of Millersville, and Linda Knight, of Glen Burnie; two sisters, Jane Margiotta and Jeannette MacQuity, both of Chesapeake, Va.; and a brother, Walter Deiotte, of Portsmouth, Va.

Andre S. Wickham

Retired teacher

Andre S. Wickham, a retired Baltimore city school teacher, died Tuesday at Baltimore County General Hospital of blood poisoning. He was 51.

Services for Mr. Wickham, who lived in the Northwest Baltimore neighborhood of Windsor Hills, will be held at noon tomorrow at ** the Christian Life Church, 6605 Liberty Road, Lochearn.

Mr. Wickham began his teaching career at Calverton Middle School in 1967 and in 1970 was named head of the foreign language department. In 1976 he became head of the language department at Winston Middle School, and later held the same post at Baltimore City College, Southern High School and Baltimore Polytechnic Institute.

He received many commendations for his service as a teacher, including certificates of merit from the Board of School Commissioners and Mayor Kurt L. Schmoke, and a Congressional Achievement Award from Rep. Kweisi Mfume, D-7th.

Mr. Wickham also served for a time as Eastern High School's track coach.

He retired from Hazelwood Elementary School in March 1991.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1960 graduate of Baltimore City College and earned a bachelor's degree in foreign languages from Morgan State University in 1965. Mr. Wickham was fluent in French, Spanish and Latin.

He was also been a minister for 11 years and earned a mortician's license while working part time with March Funeral Home in Baltimore.

Mr. Wickham is survived by two sisters, Rise Jones and Sondra Wickham, both of Baltimore; and three brothers, John Rodney Wickham, DeWayne Wickham and Myron Wickham, also of Baltimore.

Kenneth William Krauch, 68, an engineer who helped design military training simulators, died Thursday of cancer at Francis Scott Key Medical Center.

Services for Mr. Krauch, who had lived in the Northeast Baltimore neighborhood of Belair-Edison for 38 years, will be held at 9:15 a.m. tomorrow at Zannino Funeral Home, South Conkling and Gough streets.

Mr. Krauch was an electromechanical design engineer, who had worked for a number of firms, including Westinghouse in Linthicum, Consultants and Designers Inc. in Baltimore and Singer-Link in Silver Spring.

He was born in Baltimore, attended Patterson High School and received a degree from Baltimore Junior College in the 1940s.

Mr. Krauch is survived by his wife of 38 years, the former Catherine Tatarewicz; a daughter, Catherine Matteau of Belair-Edison; and a brother, Arthur Krauch of Westernport in Garrett County.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad