Kitchen fire damages home in Ellicott City
A kitchen fire caused $25,000 in damage to an Ellicott City home Sunday.
Fire officials said Kevin Headley, his wife and three-month-old child returned to their home, in the 2300 block of Ballard Way, to find their two-story frame house afire about 5:30 p.m. Sunday.
Battalion Chief Donald R. Howell, of the county fire and rescue services, said the fire apparently started after someone left a pan on the stove.
The one-alarm fire spread to the kitchen's appliances and cabinets, Mr. Howell said. It was extinguished at 5:40 p.m., he said.
Three local students get degrees
James Madison University in Harrisonburg, Va., has awarded degrees to three local students. About 570 degrees were awarded during the summer 1992 graduation ceremonies. Degree recipients from the area included:
Mathew Edmonds, Kathleen O'Donnell and Peter Robbins, all of Ellicott City.
* Ellicott City: 10200 block of Baltimore National Pike: Someone stole a $600 radio from a 1986 AMC car between Thursday and Friday.
* 3600 block of Cragsmoor Road: Someone entered a 1991 Jeep Wrangler Saturday and stole a $450 Kenwood AM-FM stereo, cassette and CD player, a $300 light brown leather jacket, a $50 yellow jumper cables and $78 worth of cassettes.
* 8500 block of High Ridge Road: Someone smashed the left rear side window of a 1988 Chevrolet Corsica Saturday.
* Woodbine: 3200 block of Florence Road: Someone stole a $15 black mailbox between Friday and Saturday.
* 3200 block of Brookmede Road: Someone put a half-inch hole in the front door of a house Saturday.
* 8200 block of Main Street: A suspect was seen pounding on a window to Papa's Garden Saturday. He left and later returned, smashing the window. He was seen taking jewelry. He fled on foot.
* 3300 block of North Chatham Road: A red 1990 Acura Integra was stolen Thursday or Friday. The Delaware plates are 474740.
* 8700 block of Town and Country Boulevard: A black 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier was stolen Friday or Saturday. The Maryland plates are TAT-400.
* Elkridge: 6200 block of Washington Boulevard: A High's clerk reported a man took a package of paper plates from a shelf and ran away Sunday.
* 7800 block of Mikeshed Place: Someone stole a $10 "vote no for Question 6" sign from a front yard between Oct. 10 and Friday.