The following are recent bankruptcy filings in U.S. District Court in Baltimore.
* Thomas Morgan (EMS Financial, Moulsdale, Morgan & Walker and T.J. Morgan & Co.), 6920 Donachie Road, Apt. 1104, Baltimore. Financial consultant filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $5,667. Liabilities: $64,620.
* DeNittis Pizzeria Inc., 906-910 Trinity St., Baltimore. Restaurant filed for Chapter 11. President: Blaise J. DeNittis. Assets: $149,228. Liabilities: $399,075.
* Hallmark Homescape Inc., 1502 Handy's Meadow, Salisbury. Real estate business filed for Chapter 11. President: Lloyd A. Tillman. Assets: $915,626. Liabilities: $1,842,437.
* Harbor Pointe Limited Partnership, 1502 Handy's Meadow, Salisbury. Real estate development partnership filed for Chapter President: Lloyd A. Tillman. Assets: $500,000-$999,000. Liabilities: $1,000,000-$9,999,000.
* P.W.T. Associates Inc., (Mr. B's Wine and Cheese, Mr. B's Beer, Wine and Deli), 2151 Defense Highway, Crofton. Retail seller of beer, wine and delicatessen foods filed for Chapter 11. President/secretary: Stanley P. Prisco. Assets: $86,000. Liabilities: $165,000.
* Fred W. Allnutt Sr. (JFC, JFC Excavating and Construction Leasing), 10370 Baltimore National Pike, Ellicott City. Construction company filed for Chapter 11. Principal: Fred W. Allnutt Sr. Assets and liabilities: $1,000,000-$9,999,000.
* Francis G. Ryan (Ryan's Turn), 3924 Link Ave., Baltimore. Owner of restaurant filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $6,150. Liabilities: $12,996.
* Lander Engineering Inc., 648 West Pulaski Highway, Elkton. Automotive machine shop filed for Chapter 7. President: David A. Leithren. Assets: $5,200. Liabilities: $24,484.
* Perma Id Inc., 9049 Moving Water Lane, Columbia. Personal Identification Registry filed for Chapter 7. President: Claude A. Rankin. No assets. Liabilities: $31,500.
* Joan Ruth Fillmore, 1004 W. 38th St., Baltimore. Owner of real estate business filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $353,519. Liabilities: $484,755.
* William Norval Owens Jr., 16 N. Main St., Shrewsbury, Pa. Management consultant filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $1,614. Liabilities: $34,038.
* John C. Stamato (Mid-Atlantic Lock & Bath Co., Stamato Brothers Inc.), 1603 Parkridge Circle, #293, Crofton. Assets: $1,265. Liabilities: $189,742.
* Uriel P. Utz and Judith F. Utz, 3485 Kirby County Drive, Taneytown. Owners of medical transportation company filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $184,100. Liabilities: $627,802.
The following are the most common types of filings under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
CHAPTER 7 -- Liquidation. A trustee is appointed to take charge of all the debtor's property, except for certain exceptions allowed in the law. The trustee will sell the remaining property for the benefit of creditors, and unless a creditor objects and is upheld by the court, the debt will be discharged in whole or in part.
CHAPTER 11 -- Reorganization. Available to all individuals or businesses, this chapter is primarily intended to allow an ongoing business to restructure its debt. A successful reorganization depends on filing a plan and obtaining its approval by creditors and the court.
CHAPTER 13 -- Adjustment of debts of an individual with regular income. This chapter provides a method for individual debtors to repay creditors, in full or in part, over a period of up to five years. It ordinarily involves less than $100,000 in unsecured debt and $350,000 in secured debt.