Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

City worker robbed, abducted for 12 hours


Kaiser Peterkin has a sore thumb, a swollen wrist and stiff muscles that ache, but he feels lucky to be alive.

"Physically, I'm OK . . . but inside, I'm still shaking," he said.

Mr. Peterkin, 52, of West Baltimore was abducted and robbed while on duty with the Baltimore City Department of Wastewater Friday afternoon and spent the next 12 hours tied to his tool box face-down in the back of his city van until an anonymous caller told police of his whereabouts.

Mr. Peterkin, a water conservation foreman employed by the city for 21 years, was on his way to lunch at about 1 p.m. Friday when he was approached by two black men as he sat in his van at a traffic light at the intersection of Cherry Hill Road and Waterview Avenue.

"They said, 'This is a stickup,' " Mr. Peterkin said. One of the men got in the passenger side, and the other slipped into the van behind him. The abductors told him to drive a bit farther before forcing him to stop and ordering him into the back.

They then tied him up and stole $657 from Mr. Peterkin, who had just cashed his city paycheck.

"They told me to 'keep quiet or we'll blow your head off,' " Mr. Peterkin said. Though the abductors never revealed a weapon, Mr. Peterkin said he thought he could see the outline of guns through their jackets.

During the next three hours, Mr. Peterkin said his abductors drove him to different locations, leaving him alone for various lengths of time. At about 3:30 p.m., Mr. Peterkin said he told the men that his shift ended at 4 p.m., and that the Department of Wastewater would soon report the van missing.

"All I wanted to do was just get myself out of there," he said. The abductors asked for his work number.

When it started getting dark, Mr. Peterkin said, the abductors left the van for several hours before returning. They moved it one last time, and left him. Police received a call regarding Mr. Peterkin's location at 12:45 a.m. yesterday morning.

Mr. Peterkin plans to return to work today.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad