This week, Mount Hebron's field hockey team went from the depths to the heights. It began the week with a loss to Centennial but finished with a 1-0 overtime victory over visiting and previously unbeaten Glenelg yesterday.
Tierney Clark's goal with 4:36 left in overtime beat Glenelg (7-1, 2-1).
The Vikings (6-2, 2-1) won their second straight league game after dropping a 4-1 decision to Centennial. On Wednesday, the Vikings edged Hammond, 1-0.
Yesterday's decision gave them two straight victories over teams they had not beaten under third-year coach Jeanette Ireland.
"Monday [the loss] could be the best thing that could have happened to us," Ireland said. "It could have been the breaking point of our season."
The Vikings, outplayed during much of regulation, broke Glenelg in overtime. Twice, Hebron drew Glenelg goalie Kirsten Turner -- who did not have a save during regulation -- out of the cage to make saves. Her second venture proved costly.
After Turner knocked away a shot from close range to the right of the goal, Hebron's Carey Butera sent a pass across the circle to Katie Anders in front of a wide-open cage. Anders missed her shot and accidentally hit the ball a few feet to her left.
But Clark was there and hit the game-winner.
"We've been reading too much press about how good we are," said Clark, who echoed Ireland on the lessons of the Centennial defeat. "That was kind of a new awakening for our team."
* Fallston 1, Bel Air 0: Lauren Grabowski scored the only goal of the game in the first five minutes to lead No. 7 Fallston (8-0-1) over Bel Air (5-3-1, 2-1-1) in a Harford County game.
* Loch Raven 7, Sparrows Point 0: Lauren Volk had four goals and Kristin Patscowsky added two as the Raiders (8-0) blanked the Pointers in Baltimore County 2A-1A action.
* Annapolis 2, Southern-AA 0: Christina Allan and Shannon Cordell each had one goal as visiting Annapolis beat Southern in an Anne Arundel County game.
* Centennial 3, Oakland Mills 0: Amber Saunders, Kari Chichester and Abby Forbes each scored one goal as No. 10 Centennial (7-1, 3-0) defeated Oakland Mills (5-4, 2-1).
* Dulaney 3, Dundalk 0: Erika Broslat, Kristen Dyke and Beth Baker each scored one goal as Dulaney (5-2-1, 5-0-1) downed Dundalk (2-6, 1-4) in a Baltimore County 4A-3A game.
* Hammond 1, Howard 0: Junior Amber Duckworth scored the game-winner four minutes into the second half on as assist from senior right wing Becky Snyder as host Hammond (4-2, 1-1) edged Howard.
* St.Mary's 2, Broadneck 0: Senior wings Renee Kretkowski and Robyn Lanasa scored to lead St. Mary's (9-2) over host Broadneck (2-5-1).