With less than three weeks to go until Election Day congressional candidates are stepping up their campaigns in Anne Arundel County.
In the close 1st District race, Democratic Rep. Tom McMillen stumped in the district earlier this week in a lumbering camper followed by supporters in pickup trucks.
Joining him on the eight-stop tour were Maryland Comptroller Louis L. Goldstein, state Sen. Gerald W. Winegrad and Maryland Democratic Party Chairwoman Vera P. Hall.
His opponent, Republican Rep. Wayne T. Gilchrest, campaigned early this week in the Annapolis business district, met voters in Severna Park and attended a candidate's forum for Spanish-speaking voters.
Mr. McMillen has picked up endorsements from the Anne Arundel Fraternal Order of Police, the Veterans of Foreign Wars, and the National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare.
Meanwhile, Mr. Gilchrest released a statement showing that the American Farm Bureau Federation rated his voting record higher than it rated Mr. McMillen's.
The two incumbents are pitted against each other because of redistricting.
Future appearances by congressional candidates in the county include:
* Mr. McMillen: 7:30 tonight at Congregation Knesset Israel; 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, debate sponsored by Severn River Association, Legislative Services Building, Annapolis.
* Mr. Gilchrest: 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, debate sponsored by the Severn River Association, Legislative Services Building, Annapolis; noon, Oct. 22, Annapolis Rotary Club; 2 p.m. Oct. 22, senior citizens meeting, College Parkway Plaza Apartments, Arnold; Oct. 25, door-to-door campaign, Severna Park; 5:30 p.m. Oct. 25, Anne Arundel County High Tech Council, County Office Building; 8:30 a.m. Oct. 28, Middleton Tavern, Wednesday Breakfast Club; 12:30 p.m. Oct. 28, Annapolis Chapter National Association of Retired Federal Employees, Magic Dish Restaurant, Severna Park; 11 a.m. Oct. 29, Odenton Senior Center; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate, Anne Arundel Community College.
* Rep. Helen Delich Bentley, Republican candidate: 6 p.m. Wednesday, door-to-door campaign in the Arundel Beach community; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate at Anne Arundel Community College.
* Mike Hickey, Democratic candidate: Tuesday, Lake Shore Democratic Club; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate at Anne Arundel Community College.
* Rep. Benjamin L. Cardin, Democratic candidate: 7 tonight, 32nd District Democratic Club, Ferndale Fire Station; 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., Oct. 24, Linthicum Country Fair, St. Johns Field, West Maple at Hammonds Ferry roads; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate at Anne Arundel Community College; 6 p.m. Oct. 30, 32nd District Democratic Club, fashion show, Michael's 8th Avenue.
* William Bricker, Republican candidate: 11 a.m. Oct. 29, O'Malley Senior Center; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate at Anne Arundel Community College.
* Rep. Steny H. Hoyer, Democratic candidate: noon Saturday, State Democratic Women's Club, Holiday Inn Annapolis; Tuesday, door-to-door campaigning; 7:15 p.m. Oct. 28, Deale Chamber of Commerce; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate at Anne Arundel Community; 2 p.m. Nov. 1, rally at Chaney's Promise in Edgewater.
* Larry Hogan, Republican candidate: 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday, bull roast, Edgewater; 7 a.m. to 8:30 a.m., Monday, sign waving ** on routes 2 and 214, Edgewater; 7:30 to 8:30 a.m. Wednesday, Wednesday Republican Breakfast Club, Middleton Tavern, Annapolis; Oct. 24, whistle- stop tour through Anne Arundel; 8 p.m. Oct. 28, Deale Chamber of Commerce; 7 p.m. Oct. 29, debate at Anne Arundel Community College.