Report says Mengele was freed in '45 No evidence of U.S. assistance is among findings, though


Josef Mengele, the infamous Auschwitz death camp doctor who became a symbol of the Holocaust, slipped through American hands even though he was held in two U.S. POW camps for at least six weeks in 1945, Department of Justice Nazi hunters have acknowledged.

But their 197-page report on the investigation that confirmed Mengele's death in Brazil in 1979 said that they found no evidence that U.S. intelligence agencies or other U.S. authorities knowingly gave assistance to the notorious "Angel of Death."

"It's very disappointing that he was not found alive and brought to the bar of justice, because he became in many ways a symbol and was associated with torture, degradation and mass murder," said Neal M. Sher, director of the Department of Justice's Office of Special Investigations -- the U.S. organization charged with locating and expelling former Nazis.

But Mr. Sher noted yesterday, and the report stated: "The many years he consequently spent hiding in near squalor in Brazil, tortured by his fear that Israeli agents were on the verge of capturing him, arguably provided a kind of rough, albeit inadequate, 'justice.' "

Mengele, a doctor at the Nazi concentration camp in Poland, was accused of performing "grotesque and pseudo-medical *T experiments on prisoners -- children and adults alike . . . ." He was said to have participated in a process that resulted in the murder of as many as 1.5 million people, mainly Jews, in the camp's gas chambers.

Key elements of the report, including Mengele's flight to South America and his death by drowning in Brazil, had been disclosed media and official investigations. But the report itself, buttressed by 442 pages of supporting documents, adds the government's official imprimatur to the details surrounding the failure of authorities to capture one of the world's most-wanted Nazi criminals.

The report was largely completed in the mid-1980s, but was released now after Germany and Israel officially accepted the conclusion that Mengele was dead.

In stating that Mengele was in U.S. custody in the summer of 1945, the report said: "It is possible that he was discharged under his own name even though he was, at the time of his release, listed as a war criminal on at least two wanted lists and was subjected to procedures designed to avoid the discharge of such individuals."

The report listed several factors that it said contributed to the failure of authorities to hold and prosecute him:

Mengele, a captain in the dreaded SS, which was an automatic flag to war-criminal hunters, had joined a Wehrmacht, or regular army, military hospital unit six weeks before his capture and did not have the blood-type tatoo worn by most SS men under their left arm.

Furthermore, he was released at the high point of the POW discharge program, when his U.S. captors were running out of food to feed their charges; and the wanted lists that included his name probably did not reach the unit that freed him in time.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad