Kitchen fire damages home in Woodbine
Fire companies from Winfield, Sykesville and Lisbon in Howard County responded to a kitchen fire at the home of Michael Manley Brohawer, in the 1200 block of Hood's Mill Road in Woodbine, at 9:15 p.m. Friday.
According to Tim Warner, chief of the Winfield Fire Department, someone had been cooking food on the stove and left the house.
"The food caught on fire," Chief Warner said. "It caught the hood and the cabinet above it on fire and then spread horizontally and vertically in the cabinets."
The fire was confined to the cabinets in the kitchen, which firefighters removed from the wall after they extinguished the fire.
There was smoke damage in the kitchen and minor smoke damage throughout the house.
Six engines, an ambulance and 36 firefighters responded to the call, although several of those turned back after about 15 minutes when the fire was brought under control.
* Picketts Corner: Firefighters from Winfield, Mount Airy and Lisbon from Howard County, extinguished a chimney fire on John Pickett Road at 9:28 p.m. Wednesday. Firefighters were at the scene for 44 minutes.
Winfield: Firefighters from the Winfield station reponded to a call for wires down on Bethel Road at 4:16 p.m. Thursday.
Mount Airy: A natural gas leak on Main Street in Damascus, Montgomery County, required assistance Thursday from two units from the Mount Airy station. One was dispatched to the scene and the second was transferred to fill in at the Damascus station. The incident was reported at 2:30 p.m.