* Name: Tina Wang, 17, of Ellicott City.
* School: Centennial High School.
* Why Tina was chosen: Tina is a semifinalist in the National Merit Scholarship Competition; feature editor of the school newspaper, The Wingspan; co-editor of the school's literary magazine, The Aquila; and co-captain of the Centennial High math team. In her spare time, she plays the cello in the school orchestra and in the Howard County Advanced Orchestra.
* Tina's comments: "The power of the English language is amazing. You place two words together and it has a magical quality about it. With math, there's a concrete answer. It's not as abstract. It has a solid base, and that's reassuring."
* Tina's goals: Tina said she would like to study chemistry or biochemistry at Princeton University. "I'm really interested in the sciences, but I want to keep my options open."
To make a nomination, call Sherry Joe, 418-8031 from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. weekdays. Nominations also may be faxed to 418-8016.