Bessie C. RobertsWest Virginia nativeBessie C. Roberts,...

Bessie C. Roberts

West Virginia native


Bessie C. Roberts, who came to Baltimore in 1960 to join her children, died Wednesday at St. Agnes Hospital of heart failure.

Services for the 89-year-old Eagle Street resident were held Saturday.


The former Bessie C. Seel was a native of Mount Hope, W.Va.

Her husband, the Rev. Percy R. Roberts, a retired coal miner, died in 1958.

She is survived by three daughters, Clara Mullins and Mary Ward, both of Baltimore, and June Jones of Joppatowne; five sons, Emory Roberts of Delray, W.Va., and William, Roy, Horace and James Roberts, all of Baltimore; 16 grandchildren; 24 great-grandchildren; and a great-great-grandson.

Margaret H. Lowe

Family adviser

Margaret Heldmann Lowe, who retired as patient family adviser at Memorial Hospital at Easton, died Monday of heart failure at a hospital in Newark, Del.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mrs. Lowe, who was 73 and lived in Queenstown, was offered Saturday at St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church in Queenstown.

She held the counseling post at the hospital from 1980 until she retired in 1986. Earlier, she was head nurse in the hospital's intensive care unit, which she helped to organize in the mid-1960s. For several years before that, she did private-duty nursing at Memorial and at what is now the Anne Arundel Medical Center.


Born in Baltimore, the former Margaret Heldmann graduated in 1937 from Mount St. Agnes High School and in 1940 from the Mercy Hospital nursing school.

She moved to the Eastern Shore after her marriage in 1943 to Dr. William Cook Lowe, who maintained a family practice in Queenstown until he was killed in an automobile accident in 1951.

In 1958, she helped to set up the upper Eastern Shore organization of the American Heart Association.

She is survived by three daughters, Carolyne Lowe of Friday Harbor, Wash., Margaret Mary Groh of Charlottesville, Va., and Nance L. du Pont of St. Michaels; a brother, Joseph C. Heldmann of Baltimore; two sisters, Mary Yenni of Baltimore and Agatha Heldmann of Randallstown; and five grandchildren.

James M. Hilbun

Electronic engineer


James M. Hilbun, a retired Westinghouse electronic engineer, died from a stroke Friday at North Arundel Hospital.

Services for the 69-year-old Glen Burnie Park resident were scheduled for 10 a.m. today at the Raymond C. Fink Funeral Home, 426 Crain Highway S.W. in Glen Burnie.

Born in Hot Coffee, Miss., Mr. Hilbun was educated in Mississippi schools and received his bachelor of science degree in 1958 from Tulane University in New Orleans. He was a corporal in the U.S. Army Signal Corps during World War II, serving in combat in Europe.

Mr. Hilbun moved to Maryland to work for Westinghouse, retiring in 1989 from the Electronics Systems Group after 30 years with the company. He was a member of Glen Burnie Moose Lodge No. 1456 and the Glen Burnie Moose Senior Citizens.

Surviving are his wife of 48 years, the former Ruby Purvis; three sons, J. Kenneth Hilbun of Manhattan, Kan., W. Stephen Hilbun of Glen Burnie, and L. Robert Hilbun of Norfolk, Va.; two sisters, Maidie C. Hilbun of Laurel and Ollie Burkett of Anderson, Ind.; seven grandchildren; and two great-grandsons.

G. Howard Dawson


Auditor for bank

G. Howard Dawson, a retired auditor for First National Bank and a former president and chairman of the board of the Archer Landry and Dry Cleaning Co., died Sept. 20 at a hospital in Bunnell, Fla., after an apparent heart attack.

Mr. Dawson, who was 73, retired from the bank seven years ago and moved from Towson to Palm Coast, Fla. He joined the bank after the family-owned laundry business closed in 1974.

A native of Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and the University of Baltimore.

He was a member of Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church of Baltimore County and the Country Club of Maryland and more recently of the Palm Harbor Golf Club and St. Mark's by the Sea Lutheran Church in Palm Coast where funeral services were conducted Wednesday.

He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Federline; a daughter, Judith Cobb of Norfolk, Va.; a son, Barton H. Dawson of Edmond, Okla.; two sisters, Genevieve Manley of Ellicott City and Lorraine Crosby of Timonium; a brother, Vernon Dawson of St. Petersburg, Fla.; and five grandchildren.


Charles Ricklin Jr.


Charles Ricklin Jr., a retired bricklayer, died Sept. 24 of emphysema at North Arundel Hospital.

Services for Mr. Ricklin, 67, were held Sept. 28.

The Baltimore native had worked at Bethlehem Steel for 27 years. He lived in Gambrills for 46 years, where he was a member of Delmont United Methodist Church and honorary member and past president of Gambrills Athletic Club and an honorary member of Gambrills Turtle Club.

He is survived by his wife, the former Marian L. Clark; one son, Charles Ricklin III of Gambrills; three daughters, Bonnie Kellough of Pasadena, Carol Ricklin and Ruth Mattingly, both of Gambrills; one brother, Clifton W. Ricklin of Dundalk; and three grandchildren.


The family suggests memorial contributions can be made to the American Lung Association, 1840 York Road, Timonium 21093.

M. Lindsay-Johnson

Lyric soprano

Margaret Lindsay-Johnson, a lyric soprano and a teacher at the Baltimore School for the Arts, died Thursday after an apparent heart attack at her home on West Forest Park Avenue.

Services for Mrs. Lindsay-Johnson, who was 44, were scheduled at noon today at Enon Baptist Church, 601 N. Schroeder St.

Mrs. Johnson was coordinator of vocal studies and associate conductor of the chorus at the arts high school, where she joined the faculty in 1985.


She began her career in the city schools in 1970. She had been choral director at Forest Park High School and earlier at Southern High School.

In 1988, she made her New York debut at the Carnegie Recital Hall and a New York Times music critic described her as having "a soaring voice with rich resonance."

She also sang with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra both as a soloist and chorus member and with the Chesapeake and Baltimore opera companies.

She was also a soloist with church choirs in Baltimore and Washington.

Her singing won a first prize in a Baltimore Music Club competition and she was named a regional finalist in a competition held by the Metropolitan Opera in New York.

Born in Baltimore, the former Margaret C. Lindsay graduated from Western High School and Morgan State University, where she also earned a master's degree and was a soloist with and assistant director of the choir.


She sang with Morgan's choir at the White House.

Her husband, Lloyd W. Johnson, who was also a Baltimore school teacher, died in 1984.

She is survived by her father, George W. Lindsay of Baltimore and many aunts, uncles, nieces and nephews.

James T. Bussey

Correctional officer

James Thomas Bussey, a retired correctional officer, died Sept. 24 at his Laurel residence after a lengthy illness.


Services were conducted yesterday for Mr. Bussey, 77.

Before Mr. Bussey moved to Laurel 13 years ago, he was a resident of Severn for 64 years. He retired in 1977 after 22 years as a correctional officer at the the Patuxent Correctional Institute in Jessup. In his spare time, he enjoyed hunting and fishing.

He is survived by one son, Thomas J. Bussey of Baltimore; two brothers, Grover and George Bussey, both of Severn; one sister Minnie Escavage of Westminster; three grandchildren; and a great-grandchild.

The family suggested memorial contributions may be made to the Hospice of Prince George's County, 96 Harry Truman Drive, Largo 20772.

Bessie E. Boblitz

Managed snack bar


Bessie Eileen Boblitz, who managed the snack bar at a bowling alley in Perry Hall, died Wednesday at her Perry Hall home of heart failure as a complication from cancer.

Services for the 59-year-old Joppa Road resident were conducted Saturday.

She managed the snack bar at the Brunswick Lanes for about five years.

Born in Baltimore, the former Bessie Eileen Litz was a graduate of Eastern High School. She liked to shop at flea markets and did paintings in oils and pastels.

Her husband, Raymond L. Boblitz, is a retired Baltimore policeman.

In addition to her husband, survivors include three sons, Bruce E. and Kevin S. Boblitz, both of Perry Hall, and Vernon S. Boblitz of Joppatowne; a daughter, Sandra R. Boblitz of Perry Hall; three sisters, Betty James of Baltimore, Madeline Litz of Cub Hill and Karen Hay of Glen Burnie; a brother, Joseph Litz Jr. of Cub Hill; and three grandchildren.


Deacon Paul Hinton

Active Baptist

Deacon Paul E. Hinton, a retired firebrick maker who was active in two Baptist churches, died Friday at the Greater Laurel-Beltsville Hospital after a heart attack.

Services for Mr. Hinton, who was 81 and lived in Jessup, were scheduled for 7:30 p.m. today at Mount Moriah Baptist Church, 2201 Garrison Blvd., where he was chairman emeritus of the Board of Deacons.

Mr. Hinton retired in 1976 after working for 30 years for General Refractories Co. and earlier as a construction laborer. The native of Rock Hall, S.C., came to Baltimore in 1936.

During World War II, he served in the Navy in the Pacific.


He was named assistant Sunday school superintendent at Mount Moriah Baptist in 1937 and was ordained a deacon in 1945. He was chairman of the board of deacons from 1946 to 1986. During that period, he helped to establish the church's women's choir and its annual Black History Month celebration.

In 1948, he helped to start a Sunday school in Jessup which grew into Community Baptist Church, where he was also active.

He also served as first vice president of the Deacons' Conference of Baltimore and Vicinity.

He is survived by his wife of 53 years, the former Catherine Bunn; three daughters, Rosa Lee Hinton Green, Paulette Thompson and Cornelia Moore, all of Baltimore; nine grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Shearman Dance Sr.

Active in organizations


Shearman Scott Dance Sr., a Lutherville resident and grandson of Maryland's last living Confederate soldier, died Friday at Greater Baltimore Medical Center of pneumonia, a complication of cancer.

Services for Mr. Dance, 75, were scheduled for 10 a.m. today at Central Presbyterian Church, 7308 York Road.

Since the late 1970s, Mr. Dance had worked with his sons at Dance Brothers Construction, a concrete construction company. Earlier, he worked with his uncle, Willard Dance, building homes in the Towson area.

Mr. Dance also had managed livestock farms in Kent Island and Owings Mills, where he raised beef cattle, sheep and hogs. He was a 1935 graduate of Towson High.

He was a member of the Historical Society of Baltimore County, the Long Green Volunteer Fire Department, the Confederate Sons of American and Central Presbyterian Church. He also was a Son of the American Revolution.

He was the son of Milton J. and Leta Shearman Dance and the grandson of Eli Scott Dance, Maryland's last living Confederate soldier. Eli Dance's father, Joseph, moved to Maryland from Bucks County, Pa., in 1833 and started a mill in Baltimore County on what is now Dance Mill Road, just north of Loch Raven Reservoir.


Mr. Dance is survived by his wife of 52 years, the former Helen Brown; four sons, S. Scott Dance Jr. of Baltimore, H. Stephens Dance of Towson, Thomas M. Dance of Houston and Anderson W. Dance of Cockeysville; a daughter, Martha H. Dance of Lutherville; a brother, Milton J. "Laddie" Dance Jr. of Monkton; 15 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Elizabeth Livingston

Ex-real estate agent, 106

Elizabeth Long Livingston, a one-time real estate agent, died Friday of heart failure at the age of 106 at her home in Glencoe.

Graveside services for Mrs. Livingston were scheduled for 2 p.m. today in Columbia, Pa.

She was active in the real estate business with the Mildred West real estate firm for about 10 years after the death of her husband, John G. Livingston in 1946.


Since 1949, she had made her home in a carriage house that she had converted on the Filston Manor estate in Glencoe. She was a member of Immanuel Episcopal Church in Glencoe.

Born in Washington and raised in Keyser, W. Va., the former Elizabeth Long came to Baltimore in 1903 to attend the Peabody Institute. She watched the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904 while a voice student at Peabody and was, according to her family, its oldest living graduate.

She is survived by a daughter, Elise L. Firey of Glencoe; and two grandchildren.