Jeanne H. FeinbergConcert organizerJeanne Harriet Feinberg, who...


Jeanne H. Feinberg

Concert organizer

Jeanne Harriet Feinberg, who was executive director of the Shriver Hall Concert Series at the Johns Hopkins University for 13 years, died Sept. 16 of heart failure at her home in Easton.

Mrs. Feinberg, who was 84 and had lived in Easton since 1983, received a citation for her work from the president of Hopkins at the last concert of the 1983 season.

After moving to Easton, she organized a lunchtime concert series at the Easton Academy of the Arts.

Before taking the Hopkins post in 1970, she was a founder of the Baltimore Choral Arts Society and the Baltimore Chamber Music Society.

The former Jeanne Harriet Gruber was born in Russia but reared in Baltimore, where she attended public schools.

A member of the Baltimore Hebrew Congregation, she was a librarian for the Enoch Pratt Free Library before her marriage in 1934 to Harry Feinberg, chairman of the board of Duron Inc., a paint company.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include two daughters, Charlotte Isabelle Feinberg-Brody of Bethesda and Trudi Emily Cohen of Charlotte, Vt.; a son, Robert Samuel Feinberg of Bethesda; two sisters, Doris Fishman of Baltimore and Sylvia Kadish of Rockville; and six grandchildren.

Services for Mrs. Feinberg were private, but the family suggested memorial contributions to the American Cancer Society or the Easton Academy of the Arts.

G. Howard Dawson

Retired bank auditor

G. Howard Dawson, a retired auditor for First National Bank and a former president and chairman of the board of the Archer Laundry and Dry Cleaning Co., died Sunday at a hospital in Bunnell, Fla., after an apparent heart attack.

Services for Mr. Dawson, 73, who moved from Towson to Palm Coast, Fla., seven years ago, were conducted yesterday at St. Mark's by the Sea Lutheran Church in Palm Coast.

He retired from First National just before moving to Florida. He had worked at the bank since 1974 when the family-owned Archer firm was closed. The city bought the Archer plant on Eutaw Street so that Madison Street could be extended to McCulloh Street.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of City College and the University of Baltimore.

He belonged to the Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church of Baltimore County and was a member of the Country Club of Maryland. In Florida, he was a member of the Palm Harbor Golf Club.

He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Federline; a daughter, Judith Cobb of Norfolk, Va.; a son, Barton H. Dawson )) of Edmond, Okla.; two sisters, Genevieve Manley of Ellicott City and Lorraine Crosby of Timonium; and five grandchildren.

James W. Flattery

Professional golfer

James W. Flattery, known as Jimmy in his years as a golf professional and founder of a junior tournament named for him, died Sunday of cancer at his home in Lutherville.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Flattery, 78, was to be celebrated at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane in Texas.

He retired in 1976 as the professional at the Forest Park Golf Course, a post he held since the end of his World War II naval service.

However, he continued to teach golf first at the Longview Golf Course and then at the Hunt Valley Golf Club, where he continued to work until about six months ago.

For many years, until he formally turned it over to the professional at Hunt Valley, he also operated the annual Jimmy Flattery Tournament with classes for youth as young as 2.

Many professionals, including Carol Mann, who is in the Ladies Professional Golf Association Hall of Fame, played in his tournaments.

It was a sport in which he was active since his childhood in Peabody, Mass., where he worked at golf courses as a boy and served as captain of the high school golf team. He also won a state title at age 14.

He became a professional at age 18 and worked at clubs in Peabody and New Rochelle, N.Y., starting his tournaments while working in Peabody. In 1936, he came to Baltimore and became assistant professional at what is now the Country Club of Maryland and then at the Baltimore Country Club, where he remained until he entered the Navy.

His wife, the former Elizabeth Bowden, died in 1988.

He is survived by four sisters, Harriet Carr of Salem, Mass., Alice Sullivan of El Paso, Texas, and Mary Carroll and Lillian Tomeo, both of Beverly, Mass.; and 14 nieces and nephews.

Elsa A. Cruickshank, a native of Baltimore, died Sunday of heart failure in a nursing home in Chattanooga, Tenn.

Graveside services for Mrs. Cruickshank, who was 92 and had lived in Chattanooga for 25 years, were conducted yesterday.

Serving as a volunteer, the former Elsa A. Schroedl helped entertain soldiers during World War I and was an air raid warden during World War II.

Her husband, William J. Cruickshank, a customs agent, died in 1946.

She is survived by a daughter, Shirley Ann Byers of Signal Mountain, Tenn.; a son, William J. Cruickshank Jr. of Ellicott City; and three grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Signal Mountain, Tenn., Presbyterian Church.


Theodore Bogacz

Academy professor

Theodore "Ted" Bogacz, an associate professor of history at the U.S. Naval Academy, died Friday of complications of surgery Anne Arundel General Hospital. He was 49.

A memorial service for Dr. Bogacz, who lived in Annapolis, was to be held at 4 p.m. today in the Naval Academy Chapel.

Dr. Bogacz had taught in the academy's history department since 1980.

The Chicago native received his bachelor's degree from the University of Illinois in Champaign and his Ph.D. in modern British history from the University of California at Berkeley in 1982.

His studies included work at the Universities of Freiburg and Gottingen in Germany.

Before coming to the Naval Academy, he taught in German secondary schools in Northeim and Gottingen, the University of California at Berkeley and the U.S. Navy's Chapman College. From 1986 to 1987, he was an exchange professor at the British Royal Military College at Sandhurst.

Dr. Bogacz had written extensively about "shell shock" and war-related neuroses during World War I and had nearly completed a comprehensive analysis of British culture during that war.

He was actively involved in the History Club, a program to help potential Rhodes scholars and the history department honors program during his years at the academy. He also was a frequent visiting tutor in the graduate institute of St. John's College in Annapolis since 1985.

His survivors include his wife, Sally A. Bogacz; and his mother, Henrietta Bogacz of Chicago.

Sister Frances Kirner

Teacher, administrator

Sister Frances Kirner, S.S.N.D., an elementary and high school teacher and college administrator, died Sunday of heart failure at the Maria Health Center at Villa Assumpta, the motherhouse of the School Sisters of Notre Dame.

A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Frances, who was 78, was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at Villa Assumpta, 6401 N. Charles St.

At the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, she served as assistant registrar from 1970 to 1975 and then for a year as secretary to the president.

Then she worked part time in the registrar's office until 1977, when she became secretary in the development office where she remained until 1983. She retired in 1983 but continued to work in the convent at the college for three years. In 1986, she moved to the motherhouse.

Sister Frances taught business and other courses in elementary and high schools. She taught at Archbishop Keough High School in 1969 and 1970, and at the Institute of Notre Dame in 1967 and 1968. From 1962 until 1967, she served on the faculty of the Notre Dame Preparatory School.

A faculty member at St. John's School in Westminster from 1947 until 1954, she also taught at schools in Bergenfield, Fort Lee and Camden in New Jersey; Malden, Mass.; and Philadelphia.

A native of Philadelphia who entered the School Sisters of Notre Dame in 1930, she was a graduate of the Institute of Notre Dame, and Holy Angels Normal School in Fort Lee. She earned a bachelor's degree from Fordham University and a master's degree in business education from Catholic University.

For some years after entering the order, she was known by the religious name Sister Mary Ermina.

She is survived by a sister, Loretta Kling of Philadelphia; a brother, Edmund Kirner of Philadelphia; and several nieces and nephews.

Edward O'Donnell

Insurance agency owner

Edward J. O'Donnell, an insurance agency owner and a former salesman and official for the Liberty Mutual Insurance Co., died Sunday of cancer at his home in Severna Park. He was 70.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. O'Donnell was to be offered at 11 a.m. today at St. John the Evangelist Roman Catholic Church, Ritchie Highway and Cypress Creek Road, Severna Park.

Mr. O'Donnell had been operating his own agency in Severna Park since he retired in 1977 from Liberty Mutual. He had joined Liberty Mutual in Baltimore after his graduation in 1948 from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania.

In Baltimore, he sold casualty insurance to individuals and became a sales manager before being transferred to the company's business sales division in Rockville, where he was an executive sales representative and an account executive. He won many sales awards and for 16 straight years was a member of Liberty Mutual's Top Producers Club.

Born in Coaldale, Pa., he was a 1939 graduate of St. Mary's High School there. A basketball player, he was named to an all-state Catholic school team in his senior year.

He served in the Navy during World War II and had begun preflight training at the University of Iowa by the end of the war.

He is survived by his wife of 45 years, the former Anne Kohler; five daughters, Peggy Turnblacer of Severna Park, Patty Rush of Solebury, Pa., Kit Peyton of Lancaster, Pa., Anne Magnuson of Arnold and Erin O'Neill of Minneapolis; a sister, Anna McGorry of Lehighton, Pa.; and 16 grandchildren.

Virginia O'Neill

Owned placement agency

Virginia J. O'Neill, retired owner of an executive placement agency, died Monday at St. Joseph Hospital of an infection. She was 75.

A Mass of Christian burial was to be offered for Mrs. O'Neill at 11 a.m. today in the chapel at Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road. A resident of Stella Maris Hospice for 13 months, the Baltimore native moved to the adjacent St. Elizabeth Hall 11 years ago, just before she retired.

The former Pikesville resident had worked in the employment agency business for 20 years, the last five as owner of Virginia O'Neill Associates. She was a member of the Public Relations Council and the Baltimore Business and Professional Women's Club.

The former Virginia J. Bode was the wife of Martin A. O'Neill, a retired tool and die maker.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include four sons, Martin J. O'Neill of Chicago, Thomas J. O'Neill of Alexandria, Va., Michael A. O'Neill of Blacksburg, Va., and Bernard F. O'Neill of Mount Airy; three daughters, Virginia M. Koski of Towson, Marie E. Griffith of Reston, Va., and Gertrude A. Brown of Ellicott City; a sister, Marie E. Bode of Towson; 30 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.

Enolia E. Dyer

Fort Meade clerk

Enolia E. Dyer, a retired civilian clerk at Fort Meade who served in the Army during World War II, died Sept. 17 of pneumonia at St. Agnes Hospital.

Services for the 85-year-old Forest Park resident were scheduled for 10 a.m. today at the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynns Falls Parkway.

She retired in 1977 as a supply clerk at Fort Meade, where she had worked since the late 1940s. Born in Baltimore, she was a Douglass High graduate.

A member of the Disabled American Veterans, she also belonged to the American Legion.

She is survived by a daughter, Enolia D. Goodwin of Glen Burnie; two sisters, Ella Brooks of Glen Burnie and Dorothy Dyer of Baltimore; and a granddaughter.

Chester H. Clark, former parts department manager for Park Circle Motors, died Friday at his home in East Falmouth, Mass., from complications of heart disease.

A graveside service for Mr. Clark, 80, was to be held at 1:30 p.m. today at the National Cemetery in Bourne, Mass.

He lived in Reisterstown from 1954 until 1969 while serving as parts manager for the Baltimore dealership. After he retired and moved to Massachusetts, he served as a group sales account executive for Sheraton Inn and more recently on a part-time basis for the Shoreway Acres Inn.

Born in South Portland, Maine, and reared in Waltham, Mass., he was a graduate of Colby College, where he sang on his own weekly radio show. During World War II, he was first an enlisted bombardier in the Army Air Forces and then was commissioned and headed motor pools in New Orleans.

Before coming to Baltimore, he had been a salesman for a Boston car dealer and made sales training films for the General Motors Corp.

He is survived by his wife, the former Eleanore Eldridge; his mother, Mildred Clark of Falmouth; a daughter, Shirley Ann D'Este of New Seabury, Mass.; and a granddaughter.

Winifred Hendler

Baltimore artist

Winifred Hendler, a Baltimore artist known as "Winni," died Monday at Sinai Hospital after a stroke.

Services for the 74-year-old Pikesville resident were scheduled for 3 p.m. today at Sol Levinson & Bros., 6010 Reisterstown Road.

The former Winifred Siff was born in Hunter, N.Y., and a graduate of Penn Hall in Chambersburg, Pa. She studied art at the Newark School of Fine and Industrial Arts, New York University, Pratt Institute, Maryland Institute, Goucher College and the Johns Hopkins University.

She did oil paintings, collages, prints and pen-and-ink drawings and later bronze sculptures and brightly colored, three-dimensional constructions in acrylic.

Her works were exhibited throughout the United States and are included in private collections in this country and in Mexico, Israel, South America and Europe, and in the collections of educational institutions, including the University of Arizona and the University of Maryland.

She received an award from the National League of American Pen Women in 1968 for her sculpture, "Owlet," and another award at the 1981 Invitational Art Exhibit at Loyola College for an acrylic piece.

She came to the Baltimore area after her marriage in 1943 to

Albert Hendler, retired chairman of the board of the Hendler Creamery Co.

In addition to her husband, her survivors include two sons, Dr. Nelson Hendler of Owings Mills and Bruce Hendler of New York City; a daughter, Rosalind Sexton of Pikesville; and seven grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial donations could be made to the the American ORT Federation, the Baltimore School for the Arts, or the American Cancer Society.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad