Alfred CohenTravel agentAlfred Cohen, retired travel agent,...

Alfred Cohen

Travel agent


Alfred Cohen, retired travel agent, active volunteer with several Baltimore organizations and accomplished tennis player, died of cancer Saturday at Union Memorial Hospital.

Services for the 73-year-old Roland Park resident will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at the Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral home, 6010 Reisterstown Road.


Mr. Cohen was an outstanding amateur tennis player throughout his life. He collected books on tennis, ordered by mail from Foyles' Bookstore in London. Foyles' called his tennis library one of the largest private collections of tennis books in the world, his wife said.

He continued to be an avid tennis player until he became ill last spring.

Born in Cairo, Egypt, Mr. Cohen attended the Lycee Francais in Alexandria, Egypt. After graduation, he worked in his father's import-export business. He also played bridge in Egyptian championships.

After the Arab-Israeli war of 1957, he immigrated to Rome where he worked as a travel agent.

There he met -- and married in 1968 -- Marion Cleveland, granddaughter of President Grover Cleveland. In 1973, when Mr. Cohen retired, the couple moved to Baltimore because Mrs. Cohen had relatives here.

In Baltimore, Mr. Cohen was an active volunteer for various organizations. He did cost analysis work for Planned Parenthood. He worked with nursing home patients and residents at Keswick. And because he was fluent in English, French and Italian, Mr. Cohen helped the Baltimore Council for International Visitors.

In addition to his wife, survivors include a brother, Mordehay Cohen of Israel; a son from a former marriage, Livio Cohen of Rome; two grandchildren; and several nieces and nephews.

The family suggested contributions to the World Jewish Congress, P.O. Box 90400, Washington, D.C. 20077, or to Animal Rescue, P.O. Box 35, Maryland Line, Md. 21105.


R. L. Washington

NSA retiree

Raymond L. Washington, retired chief of the Office of Engineering Services and Special Operations at the National Security Agency, died of kidney failure at Howard County General Hospital on Wednesday. He was 72.

Services were held yesterday at Christ Episcopal Church in Columbia.

Mr. Washington began working at NSA during World War II and retired from the agency at Fort Meade in June 1973.

Born in Blackstone, Va., Mr. Washington came with his family to Baltimore at the age of 6. Following graduation from Frederick Douglass High School in 1940, he enlisted in the Air Force. He served as a technical sergeant with the 332nd Fighter Wing and in 1944 was awarded the Bronze Star.


During his employment with NSA, he studied at several institutions, including Temple University and Michigan State University, from which he received a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering in 1969.

Mr. Washington was an active member of Christ Episcopal Church, serving as a member of the vestry and as chairman of the cemetery committee.

His hobbies included photography, computers, electronics, bowling and golfing.

He is survived by his wife of 16 years, Dorothy Butler Washington; three daughters, Agnes Anderson, Lorraine Washington and Rosina Garrett; a son, Raymond Leo Washington; a stepdaughter, Rita Whiting; a half-sister, Betty Sue Harrison; 16 grandchildren; and 17 great-grandchildren.

Mr. Washington's first marriage, to the former Pauline Woodland, ended in divorce. She died in 1988.

The family suggested contributions could be made to the Howard County Kidney Fund, P.O. Box 1284, Ellicott City, Md. 21041.


Norman L. Long

Hardware salesman

Norman L. Long, who worked for more than 40 years in hardware sales and was a retired lieutenant colonel in the Maryland Army National Guard, died Thursday at St. Joseph Hospital of complications from a digestive ailment.

A Mass of Christian burial for the 62-year-old Chestnut Ridge resident will be celebrated at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 101 Church Lane in Texas, Md.

Born in Cockeysville, Mr. Long lived his entire life in the Pikesville and Reisterstown areas.

Not long after graduating from Franklin High School in 1947, he began his career in hardware sales as a clerk for T. R. Caltrider Hardware in Pikesville.


In 1964, he bought Walter Brush Co., a wholesale brush company that was on West 24th Street and later moved to North Central Avenue in East Baltimore. The company sold household and paint brushes to many independent hardware stores in the Baltimore area. Mr. Long sold the company in 1975.

At his death, he was area group manager for the mid-Atlantic region for Servistar Corp.

Mr. Long, who enlisted in the National Guard in 1948, retired from the service in 1977. He was a field artillery officer who served with the 224th Field Artillery Battalion and the 1st Battalion, 110th Field Artillery -- both units of the 29th Infantry Division.

He was a member of Baltimore's Best Committee and former vice president of the Chestnut Ridge Community Association.

He is survived by his wife of 39 years, Patricia B. Long; a daughter, Kathleen Shull of Timonium; two sons, Michael Long of Towson and David Long of Lutherville; a grandson; and a step-grandson.