ZTCHarry E. Dyer, retired Harford administrative judgeJudge...



Harry E. Dyer, retired Harford administrative judge

Judge Harry E. Dyer, who was the Harford County administrative judge before retiring from the Circuit Court there in 1976, died Wednesday of pneumonia at his home in a retirement community in Matthews, N.C. He was 79.

A memorial service will be conducted at 11 a.m. Sept. 12 at Emmanuel Episcopal Church in Bel Air.

Judge Dyer, who moved from Bel Air to the North Carolina community in 1991, was named a Circuit Court judge in 1963. From 1955 to 1963 he was state's attorney in Harford County. He declined to run for a third term as prosecutor.

He had been a trial magistrate before being elected state's attorney.

Born in Nashville, Tenn., he moved as a child with his family to Havre de Grace, where he lived until moving to Bel Air in the early 1970s.

A 1934 graduate of the University of Maryland, he received his law degree from that university in 1939.

He began practicing law in 1940, but subsequently was drafted into the Army for service in World War II. He was promoted to captain and served in the field artillery in the Pacific.

A tall man, who wore his white hair in a crew cut for many years, Judge Dyer was a former commander of the Joseph L. Davis Post of the American Legion in Havre de Grace, a member of the Mount Ararat Lodge of the Masons, an adult leader of the Boy Scouts and a founder of the Harford Highland Society.

He also was a founder of the Harford-Cecil County Law Club and a member of the International Academy of Trial Judges and the Harford County, Maryland State and American bar associations.

He is survived by his wife, the former Sara Booth Gallion; a daughter, Martha Booth Dyer White of Albemarle, N.C.; a sister, Marjorie McDermott of South Orleans, Mass.; and a granddaughter.

Services for Kacynthia Maria Clark, a clerk in the attorney general's office who was stabbed and killed Monday morning at her home, will be held at noon today at Canaan Baptist Church, 713 Tessier St.

Ms. Clark, who was 28, was killed by a man who had knocked on her door in the Windsor Forest Apartments.

She had worked in the attorney general's office since July. For nearly four years before that, she had been employed by the Department of Juvenile Services.

The former Kacynthia Marie Futrell was born in Baltimore. She was valedictorian of the class of 1979 at Lombard Junior High School. A 1982 graduate of Western High School, she attended Towson State University.

She enjoyed playing tennis and bowling.

Her survivors include a young daughter, Brittany Harrison; her mother and stepfather, Gloria Green and Ernest R. Green; a sister, Carlene Lisa Futrell; a foster sister, Angie Thompson; and her grandparents, Fred and Mary Futrell, and Odell Green. All are of Baltimore.

George A. Novotny

Machine shop executive

George A. Novotny, a retired partner in a family machine shop business, died Tuesday at University of Maryland Medical Center of pneumonia. He was 75.

Services will be held at 11 a.m. today at Grace English Evangelical Lutheran Church, 8601 Valleyfield Road in Lutherville.

Mr. Novotny moved from Towson to Glen Rock, Pa., 15 years ago. He had retired in 1976 as secretary-treasurer of the AF&G; Tool and Die Co. in Arbutus, with which he had been associated since the mid-1940s.

Earlier, he worked for the Acme Tool and Die Co. in Dayton, Ohio, where he was born and graduated from high school before moving to Baltimore with his family. He took night courses at Baltimore Polytechnic Institute, then returned to Dayton to work.

After moving to Glen Rock, he helped his wife operate two antiques businesses.

A former member of the council at Grace English Evangelical Lutheran Church, Mr. Novotny had been a coach in youth athletic programs.

He was a member of the Palestine Lodge of the Masons and the Scottish Rite, and was a trustee of Boumi Temple.

He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Emma M. Dvorsak; two daughters, Barbara N. Waller of Reading, Pa., and Kathy S. Mantione of Pasadena; five grandchildren; and a great-grandson.

Aimee J. Aguilar

Ran Pimlico bakery

Aimee Jeanne Aguilar, who operated Martin's Bakery in Pimlico for more than 20 years after the death of her husband, died Wednesday of heart disease in her sleep at her home on Harvest Farm Road in Eldersburg. She was 95.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Joseph's Roman Catholic Church, 915 Liberty Road, Eldersburg.

Her husband, Martin R. Aguilar, started the bakery in 1933. It specialized in pastry and other sweets. She ran the business herself from his death in 1941 until her retirement in 1965.

The former Aimee Jeanne Leveque was a native of Vannes, in northwestern France, who met her future husband during World War I while he was serving with the Army in Brest. They were married in France in 1918 and she came to Baltimore the next year.

She is survived by two sons, George M. Aguilar of Eldersburg and Gifford Aguilar of Rodgers Forge; three grandsons; and eight great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2020, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad