Marguerite Spence, park land donor, dies at...


Marguerite Spence, park land donor, dies at age 90

Marguerite Labrot Spence, a yachtswoman and philanthropist who donated land that became Sandy Point State Park, died of heart failure Friday at her farm, Holly Beach, near Annapolis. She was 90.

A memorial service for Mrs. Spence will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 710 Ridgely Ave., Annapolis.

Born in 1902 as the daughter of U.S. Rep. Charles O. Lobeck of Nebraska and his wife, Gladys, she was educated in Washington, D.C., and in Omaha.

She moved to Holly Farm in 1940 and lived there with her first husband, William H. Labrot, who was president of the Atlantic Creosote Co.

Mr. Labrot, who was a noted horse breeder and yachtsman, died in 1949.

She was the widow of Dr. William T. Spence, who died earlier this year.

Known as Peggy, Mrs. Spence was one of the few female members of the New York Yacht Club, which she joined in 1949.

She and her first husband often competed in ocean races aboard their yawl, Stormy Weather, which has since been sold and restored and is sailing in Antigua.

Mrs. Spence was active in the arts as well as the International Eye Foundation, Outreach, Child Reach and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.

She donated part of her farm to the state, which used the land to begin developing Sandy Point State Park in 1949.

Mrs. Spence is survived by a stepdaughter, Leonie Labrot Gately of Annapolis; a niece, Jane Young Davis of Annapolis; four great-grandchildren; and three great-nieces.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Evangelical Presbyterian Church, 710 Ridgely Ave., Annapolis 21401; the International Eye Foundation, 7801 Norfolk Ave., Bethesda 20814; and the Chesapeake Bay Foundation, 161 Prince George St., Annapolis 21401.

Helen P. Thorner

English teacher

Helen P. Thorner, who had chaired the English department at Sewanhaka High School in Floral Park, N.Y., died from complications of Parkinson's disease Friday at Meridian Health Care Center at Brightwood. She was 61.

Services for Mrs. Thorner, who moved to the Baltimore area about two years ago, will be conducted at 10 a.m. today at Riverside Nassau North Chapel in Great Neck, N.Y., where she had lived before moving to Washington about five years ago.

A daughter, Sally A. Thorner of Brooklandville, is a newscaster for WMAR-TV.

Mrs. Thorner retired in 1977.

The former Helen Plesser was born in New Hyde Park, N.Y. She received bachelor's and master's degrees from Adelphi University.

Her husband, Everett D. Thorner, died in 1981.

In addition to Sally Thorner, her survivors include another daughter, Pat Hunter of Pittsburgh; a son, John A. Thorner of Potomac; two brothers, David Plesser of Great Neck and Morton Plesser of Woodmere, N.Y.; two sisters, Natalie Schulz of Great Neck and Blanche Berkman of Myrtle Beach, S.C.; and seven grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Johns Hopkins Parkinson's Disease Center.

Margaret Morrissett

Foster care mother

Margaret Morrissett, who worked as a seamstress at home and cared for a total of 56 foster children over many years, died of cancer Aug. 22 at the Forest Haven Nursing and Convalescent Home in Catonsville. She was 79.

A memorial service for Mrs. Morrissett, who had lived in Ellicott City before her illness, will be held at 3 p.m. today at Elders Baptist Church in Eldersburg.

The former Margaret Wade was a native of Washington.

Her husband, William J. Morrissett Jr. of Eldersburg, is a retired steamfitter.

Mrs. Morrissett's other survivors include a son, Carl Moreland of Augusta, Ga.; two stepsons, William J. Morrissett III of Westminster and Dennis Morrissett of Burtonsville; four stepdaughters, Sandra Noel, Iris Baumann and Tammera Kushel, all of Eldersburg, and Linda Lock of Carney; a brother, Charles Wade of Hagerstown; and grandchildren and great-grandchildren.

Nancy B. Ingram

Former Towson florist

Nancy Bowyer Ingram, who had owned flower shops in Towson and Boca Raton, Fla., died Aug. 13 of heart failure at the Masonic Home of Florida in St. Petersburg. She was 80.

Graveside services for Mrs. Ingram will be conducted at 1 p.m. today in the cemetery of Govans Presbyterian Church, 5824 York Road.

The former Nancy Bowyer was a native of Towson and a graduate of Towson High School and Weber State College in Ogden, Utah.

She studied floral design in New York City before opening her Towson Florist business on Chesapeake Avenue.

She and her husband, William H. Ingram, moved to Hawaii for two years in the late 1950s and then to Boca Raton. Mr. Ingram died in 1973.

Before retiring and moving to St. Petersburg about seven years ago, she owned Boca Raton Flowers and Fruit in the Boca Raton Hotel and Club for 20 years.

A member of the Floral Designers of America, she won awards for her flower arrangements.

In Boca Raton, she was a member of the Soroptimist Club and the Order of the Eastern Star.

She is survived by a niece, Robin B. Bowyer of Waldorf; and several cousins.

Rose E. Grimm

Mount Airy resident

Rose Elizabeth Grimm, a retired sewing machine operator in a men's clothing factory, died Wednesday at the Manor Care Towson Nursing and Rehabilitation Center after a stroke.

Services for Mrs. Grimm, who was 66 and lived in Mount Airy, were conducted yesterday at the Burrier-Queen Funeral Home in Winfield.

She retired about 10 years ago after working for 35 years at the Rombro Brothers Sewing Co. in Mount Airy.

The former Rose Elizabeth Talbert was a native of Cockeysville and a 1942 graduate of Towson High School.

She moved to Mount Airy after her marriage in 1947 to William L. Grimm, who died in 1986 after retiring as a heavy equipment operator for the Chessie System.

Mrs. Grimm is survived by three daughters, Carol Rapisarda of Bel Air, Gail Murray of Westminster and Vicky Wilson of Millersville; a son, James Grimm of Mount Airy; a sister, Shirley T. Smith of Abell in St. Mary's County; three brothers, Donald Talbert of Deland, Fla., and Edward and Emory Stroh, both of Sparks; and 13 grandchildren.

Sister Humilia

Teacher, laundress

Sister Mary Humilia Graham, S. S. N. D., who had been an elementary school teacher, laundress and cook during her 74 years as a member of the School Sisters of Notre Dame, died of heart failure Thursday at Villa Assumpta, 6401 N. Charles St. She was 93.

A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Humilia was offered yesterday in the chapel at Villa Assumpta, the religious order's motherhouse.

The former Loretta Graham was a native of Baltimore and a graduate of 14 Holy Martyrs School.

She entered the order in 1918 and completed her high-school education while stationed in Malden, Mass., where she taught after 1921.

Then, after teaching at St. Mark School in Catonsville, she was a cook in St. Leo's Convent in Baltimore, Our Lady of Perpetual Help in Washington and St. Paul's in Ellicott City from 1932 to 1938.

Before her final teaching assignment, as a third-grade teacher at Mount Calvary School in Washington in 1967 and 1968, she taught at schools in Verona, Pa., New York City and Camden, N.J.

From 1968 until her retirement in 1989, she worked as a laundress for the order.

She had lived at Villa Assumpta since 1983.

Sister Humilia is survived by two nieces, Mrs. Henry Stanton of Walled Lake, Mich., and Mrs. Edward Powers of Catonsville.

Brother Malseed

Mathematics teacher

Brother Gerald Malseed, F. S. C., who taught mathematics at Calvert Hall College from 1953 to 1984, died Thursday of cancer at a Philadelphia hospital. He was 71.

A Mass of Christian burial for Brother Malseed, who had been teaching at La Salle University in Philadelphia since 1984, will be offered at 8 p.m. tomorrow in the university's chapel.

Before joining the faculty at Calvert Hall, he taught for one year at St. John's College High School in Washington.

A member of the Brothers of the Christian Schools for 44 years, he was a 1952 graduate of La Salle University.

He earned two master's degrees from Villanova University.

Born in Philadelphia and a graduate of West Catholic High School there, he served as a radio operator in the Army during World War II.

Brother Malseed remained interested in radio and television and since 1953 held an amateur radio operator's license. He was a member of the American Radio Relay League.

He is survived by a sister, Mildred Malseed of Glenolden, Pa.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad