Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

HOSPITAL CHECKS SCHAEFER'S HEART Governor being tested for possible cardiac problem at Johns Hopkins


Gov. William Donald Schaefer, who was hospitalized yesterday afternoon at Johns Hopkins Hospital for a cardiac-related problem, was expected to be discharged today, according to his press aide.

"The governor had a good night in the coronary care unit and we are expecting him to be released this afternoon following a series of standard cardiac tests today," said Page W. Boinest, Mr. Schaefer's acting press secretary.

She said test results from yesterday "were good and if everything

goes well with the tests today he will be discharged from the hospital."

Ms. Boinst said the 70-year-old governor had recently been working 15-hour days while attempting to hammer out a $500 million cut from the state budget, which he announced Tuesday.

She said the governor usually starts his day with a 7:30 a.m. breakfast meeting "and with the budget, he has been working until 10:30 a lot of nights recently.

"He looked kind of under the weather before he went to the hospital," Ms. Boinest said. She said she could not say whether the governor experienced chest pains, dizziness or other symptoms of a heart attack.

Mr. Schaefer was admitted to Hopkins at 3 p.m. yesterday for the tests, which had not been scheduled in advance.

Mr. Schaefer was taken from the State House in Annapolis to the Baltimore hospital by state troopers in his executive protection detail.

A source reported the governor was admitted to a room in the Osler Building, which houses the hospital's coronary care unit.

State police and hospital security officers allowed only physicians, nurses and at least one member of the governor's staff into the room.

As a result of his hospitalization, the governor's scheduled visit to Cambridge on the Eastern Shore today was canceled.

So were his plans to attend the National Football League exhibition game last night between the New Orleans Saints and Miami Dolphins at Baltimore's Memorial Stadium.

In Cambridge, Mr. Schaefer was to have participated in a ribbon-cutting ceremony at the new Chun King headquarters there.

Ms. Boinest said the governor was last hospitalized in 1988, when he complained of a stomach problem. He was hospitalized overnight at Mercy Hospital and released the following day, she said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad