Rev. Charles James
The Rev. Charles James, associate minister of East Baltimore's First Baptist Church, died Saturday of cancer at his home on Garrett Avenue.
Services for Mr. James, who was 70, will be conducted at 7.30 p.m. today at the church at 525 North Caroline St.
Mr. James became associate minister there in 1961 and also served for a time as assistant to the pastor.
Earlier, he was pastor of True Vine Baptist Church and associate minister of Mount Carmel Baptist Church in East Baltimore.
A native of Newport News, Va., he was raised in Baltimore, graduating from Dunbar High School.
During World War II, he served in the Army in Europe with the rank of sergeant.
In 1952, he was baptized and became a deacon and assistant Sunday school superintendent of the Temple of God Pentecostal Church. In the late 1950s, he completed his studies at the Maryland Baptist School of Religion and became a minister.
While doing his religious work, he also drove a taxicab and, from 1970 until his retirement in 1984, was supervisor of grounds workers at Bowie State University. He chaired an employee grievance committee there.
In 1955, he married the Rev. Geraldine Stancil.
Mr. James was financial secretary of the United Baptist Ministers Evening Conference of Baltimore and Vicinity, a member of the Peacemakers and an adviser to the Abundant Life Christian Love Fellowship.
He was vice president of the trustees of the Gospel Messengers Center Inc., his wife's church.
In addition to his wife, his survivors include five sons, Charles Kenneth James of Fort Hood, Texas, and Isaac Kendall James, John Kevin James, Cedric Timothy James, and Tyrone Christopher James, all of Baltimore; two sisters, Martha Aurand Mildred Starks, both of Baltimore; five brothers, Randolph Jones, Gerard Jones, Austin Jones, Nelson Jones and Sylvester Jones, all of Baltimore, and five grandchildren.
John Marshall Smith, a retired insurance broker, died Aug. 17 of cancer at the Greater Baltimore Medical Center.
Born in New Haven, Conn., the 70-year-old Baltimore native attended Gilman School before joining the U.S. Army in 1942.
He served in an Army radar unit in the Pacific theater during World War II. After the war, he joined the Maryland National Guard and was commissioned a first lieutenant in the 224th Field Artillery Battalion. He also served as a recruitment officer.
He attended the American Institute of Banking and worked at the Calvert Bank founded by his grandfather, William Carter Page. After several years in banking, Mr. Smith entered the insurance business as an agent for Tongue Brooks and Co. Handling all lines of commercial insurance, he eventually formed his own company, Marshall Smith & Co., which he sold in 1968. He also served on a committee to help develop state certification requirements for insurance agents.
He then operated a small horse breeding farm in north Baltimore County with his wife until the time of his death. During the 1970s, Mr. Smith also started a light manufacturing business which employed the physically disabled in making decorative home products. He also designed and sold such one-of-a-kind handcrafted furnishings as floor screens. In his spare time, he enjoyed building intricate ship models.
Active in community service for many years, Mr. Smith was particularly interested in programs for disadvantaged youths. He was a past member of the Merchants Club, the Maryland Club and the Bachelors Cotillon.
He is survived by his wife of 40 years, the former Linell Chenault Nash; three daughters, Linell Nash Smith of Baltimore, Frances Rider Smith of Sparks and Brigid Smith Robbins of Fallston; a brother, Charles Page Smith of Santa Cruz, Calif., and a granddaughter, Miranda Rose Hall of Baltimore.
A memorial service for Mr. Smith is planned for 11 a.m. Sept. 4 at St. Thomas Episcopal Church in Garrison.
The family suggested contributions could be made to St. John's A.M.E. Church, c/o Mrs. Charles O'Donovan, 600 Greenwood Road, Towson, Md. 21204, or The Salvation Army/Camp Puh'tok, 2602 Huntingdon Ave., Baltimore 21211.
Trudy M. Hamby
Trudy M. Hamby, who had careers as an educational researcher and actress, died Saturday of leukemia at her home in Scarlett Place.
Services for Dr. Hamby, who was 69, will be held at 1 p.m. today at Christ Lutheran Church, 701 South Charles St.
Dr. Hamby was director of two teaching centers in Baltimore, MIND I and MIND II, where the students were tested to measure their intellectual growth. She taught at the University of Maryland in Baltimore and in College Park.
For five years in the late 1970s, she was a consultant to Head Start programs for the University Research Corp. in Washington.
Earlier, she taught at the University of Maryland Baltimore County as well as at the university's Baltimore and College Park campuses and at Towson State University.
The former Gertrude Bertha Nollmeyer was born in Withrow, Wash. She was helping to cook for a crew of 30 harvesters on her family's wheat farm by the time she was 10 years old. She worked as a maid while attending high school in Wenatchee, Wash., and Eastern Washington College in Cheney.
After her graduation, she taught at an elementary school in Vancouver and, in 1942, married Ray Irvin Hamby.
When a play her husband wrote was produced by a professional company in Hollywood, the couple moved to California where she, as Trudy Meyer, joined the American Guild of Variety Artists and performed a one-woman song and comedy act in nightclubs.
They came to Baltimore on a national tour and joined the Hilltop Theatre Company, appearing in summer theater productions in Brooklandville and in theater-in-the-round at the Belvedere Hotel.
In the 1960s, she began taking courses in early childhood educationat the Johns Hopkins University and earned a master's degree at the University of Maryland.
She then operated the Rainbow Kindergarten in Pasadena for three years before returning to the University of Maryland, where she earned a doctorate.
Combining her theatrical talents with her educational work, she wrote and directed video teaching aids, appeared on Public Broadcasting System shows and was a lecturer and seminar leader.
In addition to her husband, her survivors include a son, Ruben Irvin Hamby of Columbia; three brothers, Elmer Nollmeyer of Seattle, Wash., and Max and William Nollmeyer, both of Withrow, and a grandson.
Chester L. Lowery
Painter and athlete
Chester L. Lowery, a painter, welder and athlete, died Monday at Memorial Hospital at Easton.
Services for Mr. Lowery, who was 78 and lived in Tilghman, were held yesterday at the Newnam Funeral Home in Easton.
Born in Tilghman, he grew up in Baltimore. He returned to Tilghman in 1949, then moved to St. Michaels in 1984.
Mr. Lowery retired in 1978 after 20 years as a house painter for Modern Painters. He earlier worked as a welder for the Tilghman Packing Co. and for other employers in Baltimore, including the Bethlehem Steel Corp. shipyard in Fairfield and the U.S. Industrial Alcohol plant.
In Baltimore, he played soccer and boxed. He was a shortstop on the Wildwood semiprofessional baseball team and played football for the Brooklyn Athletic Association.
As a child in Baltimore, he was known as Hoodles, then a popular name for the game of marbles that he liked to play.
He belonged to Tilghman United Methodist Church, the Granite Lodge of the Masons in St. Michaels and, in Baltimore, the Brooklyn Boosters, of which he was a life member.
In 1934, he married Margaret Stoll, who died in 1987.
He is survived by a daughter, Betty Jane Fluharty, and a son, Carroll S. Lowery, both of Tilghman; seven grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the St. Michaels Volunteer Fire Company Ambulance Fund.