The following are recent bankruptcy filings in U.S. District Court in Baltimore.
* Brian Myrel Constantine, 1254 Hoodsmill Road, Woodbine. Owner of service station filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $135,449. Liabilities: $205,019.
* W & S Enterprises Inc. (Snelling Personnel Services), 132 E. Main St., Salisbury. Temporary and permanent job placement agency filed for Chapter 7. President: William A. Sargent. Assets: N.A. Liabilities: 365,688.
* Potato World Inc., Suite 108, 7401 Osler Drive, Towson. Provider of management services for Greater Potater Harborplace Inc. and Greater Potater Union Station Inc. filed for Chapter 11. Principal: Anthony Bravos. Assets: $34,932. Liabilities: $386,031.
* Greater Potater Harborplace Inc., 301 Light St., Baltimore. Restaurant filed for Chapter 11. Principal: Anthony Bravos. Assets: $116,130. Liabilities: $467,229.
* Greater Potater Union Station Inc., Suite 108, Osler Drive, Towson. Restaurant filed for Chapter 11. Principal: Anthony Bravos. Assets: $107,783. Liabilities: $458,882.
* Jeffrey A. Freeland and Kathryn M. Freeland, 145 Haverhill Road, Joppatowne. Electrician filed for Chapter 13. Assets: $83,850. Liabilities: $76,207.
* Richard Shaler Johnson, 4902 E. Chase St., Baltimore. Building con
tractor filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $2,150. Liabilities: $94,352.
* Accurate Warehouse Services Inc., 3701-B Dillon St., Baltimore. Shipping and warehouse storage company filed for Chapter 7. President: Paul E. French. Assets: $6,000. Liabilities: $79,533.
* Branham Contractors Inc., 8133 Hog Neck Road, Pasadena. Construction business filed for Chapter 11. President: John E. Branham. Assets: $433,676. Liabilities: $1,158,667.
* Alexander's Fine Jewelry Inc., 122 Main St., Annapolis. Jewelry store filed for Chapter 7. Principal: Theodore C. Samaras. Assets: $50,000. Liabilities: $2,500,000.
* Barry's Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Inc., 1307 Philadelphia Road, Joppa. Refrigeration and air conditioning business filed for Chapter 7. Principal: Barry W. Burton. Assets: $50. Liabilities: $13,808.
* John Phillip Gilfeather and Lizette Mure Gilfeather, 105 Rock Lane, Stevensville. Environmental prescription eyeglass business filed for Chapter 13. Assets: $120,196. Liabilities: $138,229.
* Cleveland Pendergrass (C & F Cleaning Service), 5000 Pimlico Road, Baltimore. Owner of cleaning service filed for Chapter 13. Assets and liabilities: $50,000-$99,000.
* Larry J. Remines and Dawn E. Remines, 6707 Averill Road, Apt. 2C, Baltimore. Construction business
filed for Chapter 7. Assets: $14,765. Liabilities: $37,938.
* ABS Inc. (Music Gallery), 201 Marlboro Road, Easton. Retail and wholesale music business filed for Chapter 7. Principal: John Shostak. Assets: $47,000. Liabilities: $60,241.
* Meadowbrook Limited Partnership, 16916 Vine Court, Olney. Real estate business filed for Chapter 11. Principal: William J. Miller Jr. Assets: $2,400,000. Liabilities: $1,273,000.
* International Shelter Systems Inc., 7002 Golden Ring Road, Baltimore. Provider of modular office units filed for Chapter 11. President: Joe L. Lancaster. Assets: $588,814. Liabilities: $726,695.
The following are the most common types of filings under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code.
CHAPTER 7 -- Liquidation. A trustee is appointed to take charge of all the debtor's property, except for certain exceptions allowed in the law. The trustee will sell the remaining property for the benefit of creditors, and unless a creditor objects and is upheld by the court, the debt will be discharged in whole or in part.
CHAPTER 11 -- Reorganization. Available to all individuals or businesses, this chapter is primarily intended to allow an ongoing business to restructure its debt. A successful reorganization depends on filing a plan and obtaining its approval by creditors and the court.
CHAPTER 13 -- Adjustment of debts of an individual with regular income. This chapter provides a method for individual debtors to repay creditors, in full or in part, over a period of up to five years. It ordinarily involves less than $100,000 in unsecured debt and $350,000 in secured debt.