Don’t miss Orioles players, John Means & Paul Fry, as they guest host at our Brews and O’s event!

Norma E. DittmarBaltimore nativeNorma E. Dittmar, a...


Norma E. Dittmar

Baltimore native

Norma E. Dittmar, a retired Comptometer operator, died of congestive heart failure Monday at the Meridian Nursing Center-Multi-Medical in Towson.

Services for Mrs. Dittmar, who was 91 and lived in Northeast Baltimore for many years, will be conducted at 11 a.m. today at the Ascension Evangelical Lutheran Church, 7601 York Road.

From 1939 until her retirement about 20 years ago, she worked through an agency, operating a calculating machine for companies that were taking inventory.

Earlier, she worked as an office manager for Hutzler's department store and taught piano at her home.

The former Norma E. Hildebrand was a city native who attended Eastern High School and the School of Music of the Institute of Notre Dame.

She was fond of playing bridge and other card games.

Her husband, John G. Dittmar, retired owner of an East Baltimore hardware store, died in 1972.

She is survived by two daughters, Carolyn E. Chlan of Rodgers Forge and A. Joan Pohlman of Towson; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.

Patricia M. McIlvain

Mercy High alumna

Patricia M. McIlvain, a native of Baltimore who owned a lawn service in Keen-Wik, Del., died Monday after a heart attack at her Ken-Wick home.

Services for Mrs. McIlvain, 34, are at 2 p.m. today at St. Peter's Lutheran Church in Ocean City.

The former Patricia Murphy was born in Baltimore and a graduate of Mercy High School. She began McIlvain's Lawn Care after moving 12 years ago to Keen-Wik, where she was also active as a volunteer in local schools and youth athletic programs.

She is survived by her husband, Steven E. McIlvain; a son, Shawn McIlvain of Keen-Wik; a daughter, Shanna McIlvain of Keen-Wik; her stepmother, Mary Murphy of Orlando, Fla.; TC brother, Michael Murphy of Orlando; and three sisters, Bridget Hutchinson of Bel Air and Colleen Arnold and Erin Murphy, both of Orlando.

Thomas A. Blair

Retired policeman

Thomas A. Blair, a retired Baltimore policeman, died Monday at the Dulaney-Towson Nursing and Convalescent Center of complications from a stroke.

A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Blair, who was 78 and lived in White Hall, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Baltimore and Ware avenues in Towson.

Mr. Blair, who lived in Govans for many years, served as a patrolman from 1941 until he retired in 1963. He retired from the Communications Division, but had long served in the Northern District.

Before becoming a policeman and for 10 years after his retirement from the force, he worked in the warehouse of Muth Bros., a wholesale drug company.

Born in Baltimore, he was educated at St. Peter's parochial school.

Over the past five years, he became known as Mr. Lollipop in several Giant supermarkets and veterinarians' offices in northern Baltimore County, where he handed out lollipops to employees. The practice began with his offering others some of the candy he carried for his grandchildren.

He was a life member of the Notre Dame Council of the Knights of Columbus.

His wife, the former Mary Patricia Fahey, died in 1987. He is survived by a son, T. Michael Blair of White Hall; two brothers, Charles I. Blair Sr. of Sparks and Joseph Blair of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.

Ethel H. Watts

Foster grandmother

Ethel H. Watts, 83, who had been active in a foster grandparents program in Baltimore, died Sunday at Sinai Hospital of heart failure.

Services will be held at 11:30 a.m. today at the Nutter Funeral Home, 2501 Gwynns Falls Parkway.

The former Ethel Holmes was a native of Portsmouth, Va., who came to Baltimore as a child with her family and was a graduate of Douglass High School. Her husband, William Watts, died in 1990.

She was a resident of Kenshaw Avenue.

Survivors include three daughters, Valerie Watts of Oklahoma, Hattie Johnson of Baltimore, and Doretha Beckham of Ellicott City; two sons, Maurice Watts of New Mexico and Frank Watts of Baltimore; and many grandchildren.

Sidney Hester Sr.

Honorary Trolley King

Sidney Hester Sr., a retired construction worker, died Saturday at Maryland General Hospital after a stroke.

Services for Mr. Hester, who was 94, are at 7:30 tonight at the Estep Brothers Funeral Home, 1300 Eutaw Place.

Mr. Hester retired nearly 20 years ago as a construction worker for the Richard Roofing Co. He was employed there for nearly 30 years after working briefly at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant.

Born in Raleigh, N.C., he moved to Baltimore after serving in the Army during World War II. In 1989 he was presented with a lifetime pass and a certificate naming him Honorary Trolley King by the non-profit organization that ran the trolleys for the city until 1991.

Two and a half weeks ago, friends from Chase House, where he had lived before breaking his hip nearly a year ago, arranged for the company that now runs the trolleys to honor his pass and give him another ride.

His wife, the former Elizabeth Harris, died in 1985. He is survived by six daughters, Deborah Butcher, Sylvia Butcher, Rosemary Shelby, Phyllis Hester, Ruth Orr and Angela Royster, all of Baltimore; two sons, Brian and Sidney Hester Jr. of Baltimore; a sister, Perlie Holman of Raleigh; 35 grandchildren; and 12 great-grandchildren.

Edmond Meade Jr.

Church musician

Edmond D. Meade Jr., a Baltimore church musician who did public relations work for a Washington bank, died Friday at Holy Cross Hospital in Silver Spring of complications of injuries from a July 31 fall on an escalator in Union Station in Washington.

Services for the 46-year-old North Central Avenue resident are at 11 a.m. today at Israel Baptist Church, Preston and Chester streets. For the past three years, he worked for the First American Bank in Washington. Previously, he had done clerical work at the Johns Hopkins Hospital.

The 1964 graduate of Dunbar High School attended the Baltimore City Community College and earned a bachelor's degree at the University of Baltimore. He did graduate work in public relations at American University in Washington.

A pianist and organist who studied at the Peabody Institute, he worked full time directing music at St. Francis Xavier Roman Catholic Church and part time at Memorial Baptist Church. The Baltimore native also served as minister of music at other churches, including Israel Baptist Church, where his late father served as pastor.

He was active in the Oliver Community Association and a member of the board of the East End Democratic Forum who ran unsuccessfully for a seat on the Democratic State Central Committee in 1986.

He is survived by his mother, Bernice West Meade of Baltimore; a sister, Bernice Waker of Baltimore; a niece, Andrea Waker of Silver Spring; and many cousins.

Edward L. Gant

Steel worker

Edward L. Gant, 94, a retired steel worker, died Sunday at Bon Secours Hospital of heart and kidney failure.

A Mass of Christian burial will be offered at 7:30 tonight at St. Pius V Roman Catholic Church, 521 N. Schroeder St.

Mr. Gant, a resident of West Baltimore, retired in 1963 after working for 19 years at Bethlehem Steel Corp.'s Sparrows Point plant. Earlier, he worked for the Western Maryland Railway.

A native of Dameron, St. Mary's County, he was a graduate of St. Peter Claver School in Ridge. His wife, the former Priscilla Walton, died in 1967.

Survivors include five daughters, Evelyn Peterson, Hortense Hubbard and Blanche Bettis, all of Baltimore, Elizabeth Taylor of Dameron and Charlotte Ann Reid of Capital Heights; three sons, Richard Gant of Dameron, Judson Gant of Baltimore and Robert Gant of Ridge; a brother, Robert Gant of Baltimore; 28 grandchildren; and 27 great-grandchildren.

Mary E. Palmer Perry

Former secretary

Mary Elizabeth Palmer Perry, a Baltimore native and former University Hospital secretary, died July 15 in her home at the Richmar Apartments in Owings Mills. She was 43.

The cause of death was uncertain. She was diagnosed with sickle-cell anemia at age 15 and had heart problems.

Mrs. Perry worked in the medical records department at University Hospital from 1977 to 1979.

She was in and out of hospitals during her life because of the sickle-cell anemia.

She is survived by her husband of 22 years, Gilbert William Perry; two daughters, Angela L. Perry of Baltimore and Rosemarie E. Perry of Owings Mills; a son, Daniel M. Perry of Ames, Iowa; her parents, Mary L. Nelson and James M. Palmer Sr. of Baltimore; a brother, James M. Palmer Jr. of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.

Services were conducted July 21 at the New Carmel Star Baptist Church in West Baltimore.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad