Teen fashions this fall are an eclectic mix of styles: street-wise and baggy, updated preppy and western-influenced are just a ** few of this season's cool looks.
Here are a few suggestions on how kids can make the grade this school year by dressing up their favorite silhouette.
* Multicolored nylon backpacks are teens' replacement for the venerable book bag. But today, in embroidered and brightly colored patchwork styles, the emphasis is more on fashion than function.
* Heavy-soled Dr. Martens lace-up shoes are cool and kind of clunky -- and not just for the boys.
* Vests in button and zip closures are popular with both boys and girls. It's a sophisticated way to feel dressed up but not weighed down.
* Don't forget an outer layer for those crisp fall days: motorcycle ,, jackets in velour and nylon, silk bomber jackets, denim jackets with leather or pearl trim, varsity jackets and sweaters, and oversized boyfriend jackets.
* Caps and hats: For boys, it's baseball caps worn turned around. For girls, the look is close-fitting -- caps, decorated berets and cloches worn close to the head to frame the face.
* Cool accessories this fall include bracelets, funky belts with all kinds of hardware hanging off them, and, for girls, whimsical conversational pins in fun shapes.
* Take note: Acid-wash jeans and pre-ripped knees are definitely out this school year.