4-year-old boy drowns in the bay
A 4-year-old Prince George's County boy drowned Sunday night after he fell off a pier and into the Chesapeake Bay.
Cordarro Douglas Miller, of the 2000 block of Oglethorpe Road in Hyattsville, was fishing with his family on a 100-foot pier off Magnolia Avenue in Arundel on the Bay. At about 6 p.m., family members noticed he was missing.
A rescue diver found the boy in the bay at 7:30 p.m. Doctors at Anne Arundel Medical Center tried to revive the child, but he was pronounced dead at 10:30 p.m., police said.
Teen-ager robbed by gang of five men
Five men robbed a 14-year-old Brooklyn Park boy Friday afternoon outside the Ritchie Highway Shopping Center.
Detectives said the boy was on his bike outside of Marc's Honda at 8:45 p.m. when the men walked up and started a conversation. One man tore a gold chain from the boy's neck and another took his bicycle.
The assailants were last seen running toward Church Street.
Annapolis man, 19, faces drug charge
A 19-year-old Annapolis man was arrested on a drug charge early yesterday after a city police officer reported seeing him drop a bag of marijuana into bushes.
Tyrone C. Johnson, of the 1100 block of Madison St., was arrested after the officer went to Belle Drive shortly after 2 a.m. to break up a fight, police said. The group of five people scattered when the police arrived. The officer searched the bushes and found marijuana, police said.
Mr. Johnson was charged with possession and released.
Severn man charged in growing marijuana
A Severn man was charged yesterday with the possession and manufacture of a controlled dangerous substance after police discovered a small marijuana patch in Hanover.
Patrick Walker, 39, of the 1800 block of Alderney Court, was arrested after a police officer stopped to check on his car, which was parked near an abandoned farm house off Ridge Road.
As the officer was checking the car about 2 p.m., a man emerged from a nearby field carrying a small plastic bag, police said. The officer reported the bag "was full of freshly picked marijuana leaves."
The man told police where the marijuana was growing.
Police discovered 13 plants in the field, with an estimated street value of $26,000. Police reported that drug paraphernalia and plant fertilizer were found in the man's car.
* Intro: A compilation of some of the crimes reported to Annapolis, Anne Arundel and state police:
* Annapolis: 900 block of Arbutus Road: Aug. 13, entry gained through door. Unknown property taken.
* Arnold: 500 block of Ritchie Highway: Aug. 13, entry gained through window. Unknown property taken.
* Crownsville: 1700 block of Severn Chapel Road: Aug. 14, entry gained through door. Unknown property taken.
* Glen Burnie: 7100 block of Renwick Court: Aug. 12, entry gained through door. Nothing taken.
* Edgewater: 2000 block of Shore Drive: Aug. 13, entry gained through window. Appliances taken. Total loss: $460.
* Hanover: 7500 block of Race Road: Aug. 14, entry gained through door. Unknown property taken.
* Jessup: 1800 block of Montevideo Road: Aug. 14, entry gained through door. Unknown property taken.
* Odenton: 1300 block of Chapelview Drive: Aug. 14, entry gained through door. Unknown property taken.