Helen K. TaylorSoprano, clerkHelen K. Taylor, who...


Helen K. Taylor

Soprano, clerk

Helen K. Taylor, who began a singing career as a young woman, died July 15 at a hospital in Cleveland.

A memorial service for Mrs. Taylor, who was 96 and moved 10 months ago from Towson to Cleveland where her daughter lives, will be conducted at 10 a.m. Aug. 22 at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, Charles Street and Melrose Avenue.

Mrs. Taylor had retired 26 years ago after working for 20 years as a control clerk at the U.S. Army-Air Force Exchange Service office in Baltimore.

The former Helen Kalstrom was a native of Washington and a graduateof Rollins College.

A soprano who studied voice privately, she sang in the 1919 Memorial Day observances in the amphitheater at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

General of the Armies John Joseph Pershing, who became known as Black Jack during World War I, asked her for an encore.

She continued singing in churches and at public events while living in Orlando, Fla., in the 1920s shortly before moving to the Baltimore area.

Her husband, Murray C. Taylor, died in 1956.

She is survived by a son, Murray C. Taylor Jr. of Towson; a daughter, Sue Ellen McCann of Cleveland; eight grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.


Mary H.B. Burns

Former nurse

Mary Herbert Brooks Burns, a former practical nurse who would have been 100 on Nov. 27, died after a stroke July 7 at her Mount Washington home.

She was one of nine children born in South Baltimore to John and Anna Herbert, and their last surviving child.

At age 14, Mrs. Burns moved to Mount Washington to do housework and cooking for a family. About seven years later, she began caring for infants at what was then the Thomas Wilson Sanitarium for Children in Baltimore.

Later, she worked as a private nurse for the Maurice Eastwick family in Mount Washington until she married Grover C. Brooks in 1923.

After Mr. Brooks died in 1951, Mrs. Burns worked as a nurse at what is now the Mount Washington Pediatric Hospital until the late '50s and did volunteer nursing work after that.

In 1966 she married John Burns. He died in 1977.

Mrs. Burns was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Ladies Auxiliary Post No. 193, the Women's Club of Mount Washington and a member of the Women's Circle at Elderslie-St. Andrew's United Methodist Church at 5601 Pimlico Road.

She is survived by a son, C. Herbert Brooks of Baltimore; and two daughters, Elizabeth B. Freyman of Mount Washington and Katherine B. Leight of Rock Hall.

Services were held July 10 at the Burgee-Henss Funeral Home at 3631 Falls Road.

Retired Army Brig. Gen. Kenneth S. Sweany, former deputy state director of civil defense, died Aug. 8 of congestive heart failure at a nursing home in Burlington, Vt.

Services for General Sweany, who moved to South Burlington from Towson in April, will be conducted at 10 a.m. tomorrow in the Old Cadets Chapel at the United States Military Academy at West Point.

He retired from the Army in 1955 and joined the state civil defense agency the next year. He served as deputy director for a decade before his final retirement in 1972.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1919 graduate of City College and a 1923 graduate of West Point.

His decorations while serving in the Pacific during World War II included two Silver Stars, two Legions of Merit, the Bronze Star and Air Medal.

He is survived by his wife of 68 years, the former Laura Ward; a daughter, Jean S. Nekola of South Burlington; a son, Philip W. Sweany of Rochester, N.Y.; and seven grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Parkinson's Disease Foundation, 650 W. 168th St., New York, N.Y.

Jack E. Dux

Retired salesman

Jack E. Dux, a retired restaurant supply salesman, died Aug. 6 at St. Joseph Hospital of congestive heart failure.

Private services were conducted for Mr. Dux, who was 66 and lived on Chicory Court in Glen Arm.

He retired in June from the Adams-Burch Co. after about four years there. However, he had been a restaurant supply salesman for about 20 years and earlier worked in a department store and for a food products company.

Born in Johnstown, Pa., he was a 1944 graduate of the Mercersburg Academy and a 1951 graduate of Pennsylvania State University. He served in the Army Air Forces during World War II and moved to the Baltimore area in the mid-1950s. A member of the Mount Moriah Lodge of the Masons, he also

belonged to the Scottish Rite and Boumi Temple.

Survivors include his wife of 25 years, the former Margaret Warren; two sons, Jon Dux of Selbyville, Del., and William W. Dux of Gaithersburg; two sisters, Elizabeth D. Bond and Patricia Rhoades, both of Wilmington; a brother, William H. Dux of Hagerstown; and a granddaughter.

Elizabeth E. Jones

Roland Park resident

Elizabeth E. Jones, who lived in Roland Park for many years, died Wednesday at Stella Maris Hospice of complications of leukemia.

A memorial service for Mrs. Jones, who was 84, is scheduled for 12:30 p.m. Sept. 12 at St. David's Episcopal Church, 4700 Roland Ave.

The former Elizabeth Evans was a native of Baltimore who was educated at the Roland Park Country School and Stuart Hall in Virginia. She was fond of playing bridge and of sailing on the 40-foot sloop the family kept at Gibson Island.

Her husband, James Touchstone Jones II, retired general agent for the Hartford Life Insurance Co., died in 1984.

She is survived by a son, James Touchstone Jones III of Baltimore; six grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to St. David's Church or to Me Too!, a support program of Stella Maris Hospice for bereaved children.

Charles M. Adams

Middle River resident

Charles Marion Adams, a retired Western Electric Co. employee and a resident of Middle River, died yesterday of cancer at Franklin Square Hospital Center. He was 74.

Services for Mr. Adams will be at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Connelly Funeral Home of Essex, 300 Mace Ave.

He was born in Clarksburg, W.Va., and moved to Middle River in 1941 to work for Western Electric as a tool and die maker. He retired in 1980.

Mr. Adams was a member of the Ormes Methodist Church in Middle River; the Jephthah Masonic Lodge No. 222; the Square Club, a fraternal Mason group; Boumi Shriner's Temple; Baltimore Yacht Club; and the Telephone Pioneers.

His wife of 54 years, the former Alva Leach, died three months ago.

Mr. Adams is survived by a son, Charles S. Adams of Atlanta; a daughter, Sandra Tomasi of Edgewood, Md.; a brother, Winfield Adams of San Antonio, Texas; a mother-in-law, Alva Dorsey of Bel Air; four grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.


Thomas O'Rourke

Retired Army captain

Thomas J. O'Rourke, a Locust Point native and 30-year Army veteran, died Aug. 10 at Humana Hospital in Fort Walton Beach, Fla., of complications from surgery last year for an aneurysm. He was 78.

Mr. O'Rourke retired to Deerfield Beach, Fla., in 1975. For about the past six months, he lived in a convalescent home in Shalimar, Fla. In the early 1970s, Mr. O'Rourke lived in Chartwell.

He joined the Army in 1941 and served in Guam during World War II. He retired as a captain in 1971.

Mr. O'Rourke, who lived in Riviera Beach as a youth, attended Our Lady of Good Counsel School and Baltimore City College.

His first wife, the former Norn Scherer, died in 1975. They were married 30 years.

He was divorced from his second wife, the former Grace Morgan of Deerfield Beach, in 1991 after a year of marriage.

A brother, J. Carroll O'Rourke, died in 1978.

Mr. O'Rourke is survived by a son, Brian O'Rourke of Fort Walton Beach; a brother, Edward F. O'Rourke, and a sister, Gertrude Lawton, both of Riviera Beach.

Private services will be held this week at Arlington National Cemetery. Mr. O'Rourke will be buried with military honors.

Al Hicks

Real estate broker

Al Hicks, a real estate broker in Baltimore and Washington, died Aug. 4 at Shady Grove Adventist Hospital after a heart attack. He was 63.

Mr. Hicks of Hicks and Associates lived in the Inner Harbor area for the past year. He moved to the Washington area in 1984 to do real estate work for the law firm of Glassie, Pewett, Beebe and Shanks.

He began working as an independent real estate broker about a year later. He was a certified real estate appraiser and commercial arbitrator.

Before moving to Washington, he was the director of economic and job development for the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce.

He was a member of Phi Sigma Alpha and the California State Republican Central Committee.

Mr. Hicks was born in Vicksburg, Miss., and raised in California.

He was married and divorced twice.

He is survived by his mother, Ethel Hicks of Redwood City, Calif.; a brother, Ernest Hicks of Palo Alto, Calif.; two daughters, Melinda Hicks of Redwood City and Brenda Hicks of San Francisco; four sons, Stanley of Oakland, Calif., Dennis of Redwood City, and Anthony and Imond, both of Alexandria, Va.; and two grandchildren.

Services were held in California.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad