Cosmic Cocktail in 2 weeks: Get your ticket today before they sell out.

A NIGHT OF VIOLENCE Six shootings are reported as city begins new effort to curb crime


Hours after the city Police Department inaugurated a task force on violent crime, seven people were shot -- one killed -- in six separate shootings around the city yesterday and last night.

In the fatal shooting, a 17-year-old West Baltimore boy died after being shot while in the lobby of a high-rise apartment building near his home.

Also shot yesterday was an 11-year-old boy, who was wounded by cross-fire on a South Baltimore street. In another shooting, a 14-year-old boy was grazed by a bullet in East Baltimore. In Northeast Baltimore, a would-be robber was critically injured when a shop owner shot him in the head, police said.

Here's a rundown of yesterday's shootings:

* The first occurred at 4:50 p.m. at the Lexington Terrace apartment building in the 700 block of W. Mulberry St., where Muata Juanne Franklin, 17, who lives in the same block, was shot in the lower left back, police said. The youth was found lying near the lobby elevator, shot with what police said is

a large-caliber handgun.

He was taken to University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead at 6:24 p.m. Police said they had no suspects or motive in the slaying.

* At 6:30 p.m., at the Hamilton Quik Stop store in the 3400 block of Hamilton Ave. in the Northeastern District, police said two robbers walked inside, posing as customers wanting to buy snow cones.

Once inside, they announced a robbery. But the manager, David Noland, 41, pulled out a .38-caliber handgun and fired at one of the men, hitting him in the head, police said.

Both men fled. The injured man, later identified as Dorrell PTC Redmond, 23, of the 400 block of N. Lakewood Ave., collapsed in the parking lot.

Police said he is listed in critical condition in the intensive care unit at Johns Hopkins Hospital. Robbery and weapons charges against Mr. Redmond were pending.

Early today, a second man sought in the robbery attempt gave himself up to police at the Central District after he learned that police had been to his and his girlfriend's home looking for him.

Police said the man, Vaughn Thomas, 21, of the 800 block of Benninghaus Road, was charged with armed robbery and using a handgun in the commission of a felony. He was being held at the Eastern District pending a bail hearing today before a District Court commissioner.

Police said that the shooting appeared justified and that no charges were expected to be placed against Mr. Noland.

* At 8:20 p.m., one man was seriously wounded and an 11-year-old boy injured by a stray bullet, police said. The victims, who were shot in the 1600 block of McHenry St., were identified as Joseph Flint, 41, of the 300 block of S. Parrish St., and Tavon Dishman of the 1500 block of W. Pratt St.

The boy was shot in the right forearm and was in good condition today at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Police said Mr. Flint, shot in the head and chest, was in critical condition today at Maryland Shock Trauma Center.

Witnesses reported seeing three men arguing before about six shots were fired. Police said a gunman and his accomplice were seen fleeing on South Mount Street.

Early today, police said they went to a motel at the Baltimore Beltway and Washington Boulevard in Baltimore County and took a man into custody who may have been involved in the shooting.

* At 6:20 p.m. in the 700 block of N. Patterson Park Ave., a 14-year-old boy fired at another 14-year-old with whom he had argued earlier, police said.

After the boys initially argued, one got a gun and went after the other, police said. The first boy found the other in front of the house and fired a shot, hitting the teen in the left side, police said.

The victim was taken to Johns Hopkins Hospital for a graze wound, police said. The assailant, as well as a third 14-year-old who allegedly supplied the silver-plated handgun, were charged juveniles with several shooting and handgun charges.

* At 9:30 p.m. an unidentified man fired several shots at a city police officer in the 500 block of Gold St.

The officer, a member of the newly assigned task force, was not hit. The officer returned fire, hitting a man at least once in the shoulder.

Police said the officer, whose name was not released, saw the man flinch just before he dropped his own gun, a .44 Magnum revolver. Police said the wounded man then pulled out a second gun, believed to be a small caliber semi-automatic, and fired at least one more shot at the officer before he fled.

Despite a manhunt by several Western and Central District officers, the wounded man escaped and remained at large. Police said area hospitals were alerted in case the man seeks medical treatment. Police recovered the Magnum at the scene.

* At 10:30 p.m., a man was shot while walking in the the 500 block of E. 27th St. near Greenmount Avenue.

Police said Shawn Byrd, 22, of the 400 block of E. Lorraine Ave., was walking down the street when he heard three gunshots and felt a burning feeling in his back. Police said Mr. Byrd fell to the ground and was found moments later by Northern District police responding to a report of a shooting.

Mr. Byrd, police said, was taken by ambulance to the University of Maryland Medical Center, where he was treated for two bullet wounds to the lower back and one to the buttocks and was today listed in critical but stable condition.

PD Police said they had no witnesses to the shooting and no motive.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad