THB, Banditos, Wayward and more confirmed for Cosmic Cocktail!

Man charged in slaying of wife held on $1 million bail


A Patuxent Institution correctional officer accused of fatally shooting his estranged wife Monday while she worked at the Kennedy Krieger Institute was being held today on $1 million bail at the Baltimore City Detention Center.

The slaying, witnessed by several of the victim's co-workers, ended a bitter dispute between the prison guard and his wife, both of whom had sought criminal harassment charges against the other, records show.

Michael Hudgins, 29, had been arrested twice this year for alleged assaults against his wife. He, in turn, had alleged in a police complaint that he feared his 27-year-old wife and that she had threatened him with a gun.

"It seems like he had an obsession with her," said city Homicide Detective Walter Akers.

"According to people who knew the couple, there was trouble from the start of the marriage that ended in the Monday inci

dent," Detective Akers said.

An arraignment date has not yet been set, the officer said.

State Division of Correction records show that Mr. Hudgins, who worked at Patuxent Institution, was arrested Jan. 10 and June 1 in cases involving domestic violence.

City police allege that on Monday Mr. Hudgins, dressed in his correctional officer's uniform, went to the institute's administrative office in the 2900 block of E. Biddle St. and fatally shot his wife, Donna Hudgins. He is charged with first-degree murder and using a handgun in the commission of a felony.

Ms. Hudgins, who worked for one year as a clerk in the institute's billing office with about 50 other employees, recently had left Mr. Hudgins. She was living in the 2400 block of Winchester St., a police spokeswoman said yesterday.

Scott McCauley, spokesman for the state Division of Correction, said Mr. Hudgins, of the 6000 block of Greenmeadow Parkway in Northwest Baltimore, was arrested Jan. 10 and charged with assault after he allegedly pistol-whipped his wife, hospitalizing her.Mr. McCauley said the case was dropped in city criminal court for unknown reasons.

Mr. Hudgins was arrested June 1 in his vehicle by Baltimore County police on a city warrant charging him with assault and battery and harassment of his wife. That case has not gone to court.

E. Jay Miller, a Baltimore County police spokesman, said Mr. Hudgins also was charged with a handgun violation when the arresting officers found a .25-caliber semiautomatic handgun under the seat of his car.

"He told us he was carrying the gun because he feared his wife," Mr. Miller said.

Three days earlier, May 28, Mr. Hudgins filed a complaint against his wife, claiming she had approached him on the Security Square Mall parking lot and pointed a black revolver at him, Mr. Miller said.

In the complaint, Mr. Hudgins said his wife ordered him away from the Toyota Corolla he was driving -- a car they jointly owned -- and said to back away or she would shoot him. He also told police he had been married to his wife for one year, but they had separated.

Two weeks earlier, he alleged, she had come at him with a knife and had slashed his mother's car tires, Mr. Miller said.

Mr. Miller said investigators informed Mr. Hudgins of the procedure to apply for an arrest warrant against his wife.

Roni Young, assistant state's attorney and director of the Domestic Violence Unit, said a hearing was held on the allegation against Mrs. Hudgins and that it was postponed until Aug. 22.

"At that time, Mr. Hudgins was quite upset about the postponment," Ms. Young said today. "There was certain language used in the courtroom that should not have been used to register a difference of opinion."

Correctional officials said no personnel action had been taken against Mr. Hudgins because he had not been found guilty in the first allegation against him and because no criminal judgment had been reached in the second allegation.

But when he was charged with murder, Mr. Hudgins' superiors suspended him without pay yesterday "pending possible dismissal charges," Mr. McCauley said.

Mr. McCauley said state rules prevent him from discussing the suspect's work record. Mr. Hudgins, described by police as an Army veteran, was hired by the Division of Correction in May 1989.

As the initial shock of the fatal shooting abated, friends and co-workers of the victim were given time off yesterday to deal with their emotional trauma, said Dr. Gary Goldstein, president of the institute.

"All the workers there are very upset," Dr. Goldstein said. "We told them all they needn't come to work [yesterday] so they can DTC deal with their emotions."

He added those workers were referred to the institute's employee assistance program for counseling.

"There were people all around when this happened," a city police spokesman said.

Dr. Goldstein said personnel records showed the couple had no children. He was not aware of any recent legal action taken by either spouse, although he was aware they were separated.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad