G. Harrold Carswell, Nixon nomineeTALLAHASSEE, Fla. --...


G. Harrold Carswell, Nixon nominee

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. -- Former federal appeals court judge G. Harrold Carswell, who was nominated to the U.S. Supreme Court by President Nixon, then rejected by the Senate in a bitter political battle, died yesterday. Mr. Carswell, who was 72, died of lung cancer, said his son, Scott Carswell of Tallahassee.

The former 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge died at Tallahassee Memorial Regional Medical Center, his son said. He had retired in the mid-1970s and lived in nearby Monticello.

Mr. Nixon nominated Mr. Carswell for the Supreme Court in 1970 after the Senate rejected his nomination of Clement J. Haynsworth in a battle over ethics and civil rights.

The Senate rejected Mr. Carswell after reporters uncovered a speech in which he endorsed racial segregation as a legislative candidate in Georgia. Law experts also questioned his qualifications.

Mr. Carswell resigned from the federal appeals court in New Orleans after his nomination was rejected.

He sought the Republican nomination for U.S. Senate in 1970 but was defeated in the primary. Mr. Carswell later practiced corporate law in Tallahassee.

In 1976, he was convicted of a battery charge and fined $100 for making homosexual advances to an undercover Tallahassee police officer in a men's room at a shopping mall. Mr. Carswell entered a written plea of innocent and refused to comment on the incident.

A graduate of Duke University and a law graduate of Mercer University, he served as a federal prosecutor for five years and a federal district judge for 12 years before joining the appeals court.

A funeral is scheduled for 4 p.m. tomorrow at St. John's Episcopal Church in Tallahassee.

In addition to his son, survivors include his wife, Virginia Simmons Carswell; two daughters; another son; and seven grandchildren. A Mass of Christian burial for Peter T. D'Anna, a retired executive of Mars Supermarkets Inc., will be offered at 10 a.m. today at Christ the King Roman Catholic Church, Sollers Point Road and Dundalk Avenue.

Mr. D'Anna, who was 77 and lived on Liberty Parkway in Dundalk, died Tuesday at the Ivy Hall Geriatric Center of complications of a stroke.

He retired because of ill health six years ago as chief produce buyer and supervisor of produce departments of the family-owned supermarket chain.

With Mars since 1956, he earlier owned a dry cleaning business called Veterans Dry Cleaners and before that, a fruit and vegetable stand in Lexington Market.

Born in Baltimore, he attended City College and was a member of the Dundalk Lodge of the Order of the Sons of Italy.

His survivors include two daughters, Concetta T. DeCrette of Dundalk and Patricia D. Glacken of White Marsh; two sons, Vincent F. D'Anna of Bel Air and Peter T. D'Anna Jr. of Joppatowne; four brothers, Joseph V. D'Anna of Dundalk, Carmen V. D'Anna of the Breezy Point area, Angelo N. D'Anna of Kingsville and Anthony S. D'Anna of Dundalk; a sister, Concetta T. D'Anna of Dundalk; 15 grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.

Marjorie A. Leland

Retired real estate agent

A memorial service for Marjorie A. Leland, a former real estate agent who had been active in church work, is set for 1:30 p.m. today at Trinity Episcopal Church, 120 Allegheny Ave., Towson.

Mrs. Leland, 92, moved to Annapolis from the Towson area about eight years ago.

She died last Saturday at an Annapolis nursing home of heart failure.

She had been an agent for Realty Inc. in Towson from 1954 until 1983.

A member of Trinity Episcopal Church until her death, she had been president of the Rectors Guild and the Altar Guild.

The former Marjorie Andrews was a native of New York City, where she completed her education at a business college before becoming secretary to the first vice president of the Bankers Trust Co. In 1925, she moved to St. Augustine, Fla., and became secretary to the adjutant general of Florida.

The next year, she married Warren Allston Leland, an engineer who worked in South Carolina for a time before they moved to the Baltimore area in 1933. Mr. Leland, who became president of the Bollinger-Leland Co., which did concrete construction, died in 1965.

Survivors include two daughters, Elizabeth L. Stanfield of Annapolis and Marjorie L. Blackwell of Piedmont, Calif.; three granddaughters; and three great-grandchildren.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to Trinity Episcopal Church.

Irving Taustin

Lawyer, businessman

Services for Irving Taustin, a retired New York City lawyer who had been active in businesses in Ocean City for many years, were held yesterday at Holloway Funeral Home in Salisbury.

Mr. Taustin, 87, died Wednesday at the Peninsula Regional Medical Center in Salisbury after an apparent heart attack.

He was a partner with his brother, Sam D. Taustin of Ocean City, in two restaurants and nightclubs, the Embers since the 1960s and the Bonfire since the 1970s. He was also active in another family business, the Candy Kitchen.

He had been active in businesses in Ocean City since he began spending summers in the resort in 1938. The businesses included at various times a bingo hall, the old Blue Dahlia nightclub and apartment buildings. He and his brother developed and owned for a time what is now the 28th Street Shopping Center.

Born in New York, Mr. Taustin was a graduate of Brooklyn College and the Brooklyn Law School. He practiced law in New York until 1969 when he retired and moved full time to Ocean City.

In Ocean City, he was known as Mr. Irv, especially to the Embers employees' softball team. He attended all their games and took the team to lunch when it won.

Besides his brother, survivors include his wife, the former Nina Santone Peters; a daughter, Ann Goydas of New York; a stepson, Walter Peters of Salisbury; two sisters, Helen and Thelma Taustin, both of Ocean City; four granddaughters; and two great-grandsons.

Ralph Harrington

C&P; manager

Ralph Harrington, a retired Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. manager, died July 21 of pneumonia at a nursing home in San Jose, Calif. He was 86.

Mr. Harrington was born in Rome, N.Y., and graduated in 1929 from Colgate University in Hamilton, N.Y., where he majored in mathematics.

In 1933, he married Irma Elizabeth Wyrens, and they lived in New York and Baltimore. Mr. Harrington worked in management with American Telephone & Telegraph Co. and its affiliates for 42 years, retiring in 1971.

The Harringtons moved from New York to Baltimore in 1944 and to Homeland in 1950. In 1989, they moved first to the Charlestown Retirement Community in Catonsville and later to San Jose.

Besides his wife, survivors include a daughter, Carol Jean Fitting of San Jose; a son, Robert Harrington of Prudenville, Mich.; and five grandchildren.

Services were private.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Alzheimer's Association, 540 E. Belvedere Ave., Baltimore 21212.

Ruth M. Mitchell

Active in organizations

A memorial service for Ruth M. Mitchell, who was active in the Roland Park area, will be at 4:30 p.m. Aug. 30 at Brown Memorial Park Avenue Presbyterian Church, 1316 Park Ave. It originally had been scheduled for the same time tomorrow.

Mrs. Mitchell, who was 82 and moved to Roland Park from Granite City, Ill., in 1978, died July 2 after a heart attack while on vacation in Emerald Isle, N.C.

She was treasurer of the Thomas Johnson Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution and served on the board of the auxiliary at Keswick.

The former Ruth Ann McCann was a native of Farber, Mo., but spent much of her life in Granite City. Her husband, Floyd T. Mitchell, died in 1967.

Survivors include a daughter, Ann Mitchell Holland of Baltimore; a brother, Jett McCann of Hardin, Mo.; four grandchildren and three great-grandchildren.

Funeral services were July 8 in Granite City.

The family suggested that memorial contributions could be made to the Arthritis Foundation for research on polymyalgia rheumatica.

Dr. Edmund Volkart

Sociology professor

Dr. Edmund H. Volkart, a native of Aberdeen and a retired professor of sociology at the University of Hawaii at Hilo, died June 27 at a hospital in Kailua, Hawaii, after several strokes.

Dr. Volkart, who was 72 and lived in Kailua, retired in 1982 after joining the faculty at the university in 1970.

A native of Aberdeen, he was a graduate of Aberdeen High School and St. John's College in Annapolis. He earned his master's degree and doctorate at Yale University. He taught at Yale, Syracuse University, Stanford University and Oregon State University before working as executive director of the American Sociological Society in Washington from 1966 to 1970.

Dr. Volkart was an officer in the Navy during World War II. He was wounded at Anzio and awarded the Legion of Merit.

Survivors include Dr. Volkart's wife of 43 years, the former Mary Ellen Drew; two daughters, Karen Lewis of Ohio and Kirsten Volkart-Pagan of California; two brothers, E. Pershing Volkart of Aberdeen and Kenneth L. Volkart of Forest Hill; and four grandchildren.

Services were private.

Roland E. Poore

Railroad executive

Roland E. Poore, a retired assistant vice president of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad, died Wednesday of cancer at his home in Boynton Beach, Fla.

Mr. Poore, who was 82 and was known as Barney, moved to Florida shortly after his retirement in 1971.

He had started working for the railroad as a messenger in 1925 and had held sales posts in New York City and Cincinnati before becoming an assistant vice president.

The Baltimore native had attended Polytechnic Institute.

He is survived by his wife of 58 years, the former Emily Miller; two daughters, Linda Scherer of New Oxford, Pa., and Gloria Mikus of Catonsville; a sister, Velva P. Grebe of Lutherville; seven grandchildren; a great-grandson; and a nephew, Roger Poore of Timonium.

Plans for a memorial service are incomplete.

Copyright © 2021, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad