L. W. Jennings Sr.Horse trainerLawrence W. Jennings...

L. W. Jennings Sr.

Horse trainer


Lawrence W. Jennings Sr., a native of Baltimore who trained thoroughbred horses that raced at tracks in Maryland, New Jersey and Florida, died July 6 of cancer at a hospital in New Hyde Park, N.Y.

Mr. Jennings, who was 74, lived in Oceanport, N.J., in the summer and Hialeah, Fla., in the winter.


He was vice president of the L. W. Jennings Racing Stable Inc., the training business he started in 1954 and which now is headed by his son.

Mr. Jennings was a graduate of Baltimore City College and served in the Army during World War II.

Although he earlier had trained horses belonging to his father, Omer Jennings, who once owned the Pimlico Hotel, the younger Mr. Jennings began training other horses in 1954 at Maryland tracks. He kept horses at Maryland tracks until 1960, adding Monmouth Park in New Jersey as a racing venue in 1957.

After 1960, he trained and raced horses, some of which he owned, at Monmouth and the Meadowlands in New Jersey and at the Florida tracks.

His wife, the former Norma Bailey, died in 1969.

He is survived by his son, Lawrence W. Jennings Jr. of Eatontown, N.J., and Hialeah; and a brother, Omar Jennings of Catonsville.

The family suggested memorial contributions to the Larry Jennings Backstretch Recreation Fund, for the benefit of racetrack workers, in care of the New Jersey Horsemen's Protective and Benevolent Association, 148 Route 537, East Colts Neck, N.J., 07722.

Rev. William Horton


Professor of religion

The Rev. William F. Horton, S. J., who taught at Georgetown University and served churches and other institutions in Maryland, died Tuesday of pneumonia at a Philadelphia hospital.

A Mass of Christian burial for Father Horton, who was 80 and lived in the infirmary at the Jesuit residence at St. Joseph's University in Philadelphia, was offered Thursday at St. Matthias Roman Catholic Church in Bala Cynwyd, Pa.

He taught philosophy of religion at Georgetown from 1957 to 1968 and remained there for another 20 years as a counselor and retreat leader.

An assistant at St. Ignatius Church in Baltimore in the mid-1940s, he also served in the mid-1950s as retreat director at Loyola-on-Potomac in Faulkner and later was assigned to Woodstock College.

Born in Baltimore, he was a 1929 graduate of Loyola High School, then attended the Jesuit novitiate at St. Andrew-on-Hudson and Woodstock College, where he was ordained in 1942.


He also taught at St. Joseph's Preparatory School in Philadelphia and served in the 1940s and 1950s as assistant master of novices and as spiritual director at the Jesuit novitiate at Wernersville, Pa.

He is survived by a sister, Dorothy McKenna of Libertyville, Ill.; and by nieces and nephews.

Ruth G. Streckfus

Office manager

A memorial service for Ruth G. Streckfus, who retired about a year ago as office manager of the Industrial Roll Co., will be held at 3.30 p.m. tomorrow at Timonium United Methodist Church, 2300 Pot Spring Road.

Mrs. Streckfus, 71, died of cancer July 15 at the Wilson Health Care Center of the Asbury Methodist Village in Gaithersburg. She had lived for many years in Cockeysville.


She had worked for about 30 years for the Baltimore factory equipment company.

The former Ruth G. Pyke was born in Atlanta and reared in China, where her parents were Methodist missionaries. She studied piano and voice at the Oberlin Conservatory of Music in Ohio.

Mrs. Streckfus was a long time supporter of the Chinese Overseas Christian Mission.

She is survived by a son, Frederick Michael Streckfus of Glen Arm; a brother, the Rev. James H. Pyke of Chevy Chase; a sister, Louise P. Bowling of Gaithersburg; and four grandchildren.

Martha W. Pointer

Music teacher


Martha Williams Pointer, who retired in 1972 as a music teacher in Baltimore public high schools, died Tuesday at a hospital in Columbia, S.C., after a heart attack.

Services for Mrs. Pointer, who was 79 and lived in Garden City Beach, S.C., were held Thursday at Trinity Presbyterian Church in Surfside Beach, S.C.

Joining the city school system in 1949, she taught at Patterson, Southern and Western high schools and headed the music departments at Southern and Western. For about the last 20 years of her career, she was also a part-time faculty member at the College of Notre Dame.

She played the piano, and had served the schools as a choral director and band director.

She also supervised the work of students at the Peabody Conservatory who were practicing to be music teachers.

Born in Jackson, Miss., the former Martha Williams was a graduate of Hillman College in Clinton, Miss., had a bachelor's degree from the University of Maryland and did graduate work at the Johns Hopkins University and at Peabody.


In Baltimore, she lived on Park Avenue in Bolton Hill.

She is survived by a long-time companion, Barbara Diering of Garden City Beach; and a sister, Marynel Eames of Georgetown, S.C.

The family suggested memorial contributions to Trinity Presbyterian Church in Surfside Beach.

Andrew T. Gray

Social Security worker

Andrew T. Gray, a retired Social Security Administration employee, died July 14 of cardiac arrest at a hospital in Apollo Beach, Fla. He was 64.


Mr. Gray, who moved to Apollo Beach nine years ago, retired in 1980 after working at the Social Security headquarters in Woodlawn for about 15 years.

Earlier, he worked for the Department of Justice at several federal prisons.

The native of Tarentum, Pa., served in the Navy near the end of World War II.

He is survived by his wife, the former Glenna D. Kiser; six daughters, Katherine Aukerman of Lewisburg, Pa., Patricia Lee of Baltimore, Karen Gray of Millersville, Susan Hancock of Pasadena, Lorraine Martin of Severn and Carol Czumbil of Morrisville, Pa.; a brother, William R. Gray of Natrona Heights, Pa.; three sisters, Jeanne Wylie of Yukon, Okla., Kass Ellis of the Pittsburgh, Pa., area and Elizabeth Lukshin of Austin, Texas; and 12 grandchildren.

Services for Mr. Gray were held Monday at the Gonce Funeral Home in Riviera Beach. The family suggested memorial contributions to the Kidney Foundation.

Alexander Stromberg


City Jail lieutenant

Alexander Stromberg, who retired nearly 25 years ago as a lieutenant of guards at the Baltimore City Jail, died Wednesday of congestive heart failure at Baltimore County General Hospital. He was 86.

Mr. Stromberg, who lived in the Manhattan Park Apartments, had worked for 26 years at the jail.

For a short time, he had worked at Edgewood Arsenal when he first moved to Maryland.

A native of Bessarabia -- which was part of Imperial Russia, the Soviet Union and Romania at various times and is now Moldova -- Mr. Stromberg immigrated to the United States by way of Paris as a youth with his family. He was fluent in several languages.

The family settled in Philadelphia, but Mr. Stromberg later lived in New Jersey where he studied pharmacy for a short time, worked in a family-owned bakery, was a telegrapher and pitched briefly for an International League baseball team.


He headed a Moose Lodge in Lakewood, N.J., and was a member of the Improved Order of Redmen in Lakewood.

His wife, the former Sarah Barkan, died in 1973.

He is survived by three daughters, Helene Seaman and Frances Weinstein, both of Randallstown, and Alice Selinger of Boca Raton, Fla.; a brother, Dr. Maurice Stromberg of Muskegon, Mich.; seven grandchildren; and eight great-grandchildren.

Earl F. Loomis

Hospital official

Earl F. Loomis, who served as financial vice president of the Homewood Hospital Center, died June 3 at a hospital in Safety Harbor, Fla., after a heart attack.


Mr. Loomis, 48, had moved to Clearwater, Fla., about nine months ago.

He had served Homewood from its creation from two north Baltimore hospitals in the late 1980s until February 1991.

Earlier, he held financial posts at Maryland General Hospital, St. Agnes Hospital and Sacred Heart Hospital in Cumberland.

The Baltimore native was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School and the University of Maryland Baltimore County. He also had a master's degree from Frostburg State University. He served in the Army in the mid-1960s.

Mr. Loomis is survived by his wife, Jane Wimmer; his mother, Mary Madaline Loomis of Lufkin, Texas; and two sisters, Eileen Rhodes of Lufkin and Karen Kruger of Atlanta.

A memorial mass for Mr. Loomis was offered June 8 at Espiritu Santo Roman Catholic Church in Safety Harbor.



Sister Shreenan

Visited the sick

A Mass of Christian burial for Sister Agnes Veronica Shreenan, C.B.S., who had been a nurse's aide at Baltimore's Bon Secours Hospital and for 32 years made a career of visiting the sick, will be offered at 11 a.m. Monday at the chapel of the Bon Secours Spiritual Center, 1525 Marriottsville Road in Marriottsville.

Sister Agnes Veronica, who was 87, died Wednesday of congestive heart failure at the provincial house of her order in Marriottsville. She lived there after her retirement in 1985.

Since then, she had spent much time praying and writing letters to former patients and others who asked for her prayers.


From 1952 to 1985, she visited patients at her order's hospital in Methuen, Mass., as well as former patients and others at their homes.

She was a nurse's aide at Bon Secours Hospital in Baltimore in 1941, and later worked at a hospital in Grosse Point, Mich., and a home for crippled children in Rosemont, Pa.

Born Elizabeth Stewart Shreenan in Glasgow, Scotland, she moved to this country as a child with her family. She entered the Sisters of Bon Secours in 1938 in Philadelphia.

In addition to her other work, she collected and sorted clothing for the poor.

She is survived by a sister, Ellen Wright of Methuen, and many nieces and nephews.

It was suggested that memorial contributions be made to the Retired and Infirm Sisters Fund at the provincial house.