FORT WORTH, Texas -- AMR Corp.'s plans for an industrywide travel reservations network appeared to be collapsing yesterday amid reports that the computer system was mired in technical difficulties.
Former AMR officials who remain close to the $125 million venture, known as Intrico, said Marriott Corp. withdrew its support for the deal yesterday.
Marriott's departure would make AMR the only remaining member of the consortium, which once included four companies.
Late Friday, the two other partners, Hilton Hotels Corp. and Budget Rent-A-Car, said they were dropping out of the deal. The two companies balked following announcements that the Confirm reservation system, scheduled to begin service tomorrow, was 18 months behind schedule.
Marriott spokeswoman June Farrell declined to discuss the hotel company's role in Confirm or the Intrico partnership.
AMR spokeswoman Karen Cook said Marriott had been in contact with AMR Information Services, the division designing Confirm's computer setup, but she declined to reveal the nature of the discussions.
Despite statements by Hilton and Budget that they were abandoning the project because of growing concern about its future, Ms. Cook said Confirm is not dead.