Commissioner visits slain boy's homePolice Commissioner Edward...


Commissioner visits slain boy's home

Police Commissioner Edward V. Woods paid a visit yesterday to the home of the 3-year-old boy who was killed by a stray bullet Wednesday on the city's east side.

Mr. Woods met briefly with the family of Andre Antonio Dorsey, then took a short walk through the drug-infested neighborhood, talking with residents along the way.

"I appreciated that he came, but he said there's nothing that he can do," said Felicia Dorsey, the dead boy's mother. "Even if the police do try to do something more in the neighborhood, I'm not planning on even staying around to see it. I'm moving."

After leaving the family's home in the 900 block of E. Biddle St., Mr. Woods walked up Wilcox Street, an alley where drug dealers sell crack cocaine. He heard some advice from residents.

"I told him to tear all these rotten houses down and build the kids a playground," said Denise Lewis, 20, who lives on nearby Olive Street.

A city police officer accompanying Mr. Woods found two vials of crack cocaine on the ground in the alley.

"Those are all over," said Geraldine Gilmore, 26, a mother of four. "My youngest kids collect the vials. They think they're pretty." The taxicab of a Bel Air man who disappeared Monday was found last night in 55 feet of water at a quarry near Havre de Grace, and divers began searching for his body, the Harford County Sheriff's Office reported.

Elvert Jones, 41, a driver for Victory Cab who lives in the 300 block of James St., last made contact with his dispatcher Monday night.

Cissy Mauck, a dispatcher for Victory and Aberdeen Cab, said Mr.Jones picked up a fare at an Aberdeen carwash about 9:30 p.m., drove the customer to Edgewood and called in by radio to find out out much he was to charge for the trip.

He was told to charge the customer $12, and never radioed back, she said.

Police suspected that Mr. Jones may have been robbed. Police began looking in quarries around the northern end of the county. They found the cab in water at Whiteford Quarries, on Quarry Road.

Bomb-like device found at Fort Meade


Demolitions experts scouring Fort Meade acreage for unexploded ordnance punctured a canister or bomb-like device yesterday that officials at first feared contained mustard gas long rumored to be buried near the airfield there.

But after seven hours of gathering samples and consulting military books on chemical weapons, officials said they believe the device is an unexploded artillery shell.

A private company has been sweeping the 8,100 acres of what used to be old firing ranges for several months, trying to remove most of the unexploded ordnance that has accumulated since World War I. The land, declared surplus by the federal government two years ago, now belongs to the Patuxent Wildlife Research Center.

The company has surveyed nearly 4,000 acres and has found 744 pieces of live ordnance, including M-9 rifle grenades, high-explosive rocket warheads and 60mm mortar rounds.

Bomb experts from the Aberdeen Proving Ground were on their way to Fort Meade last night to help determine what the device is and disarm it, blow it up or remove move it.

Teen-ager charged in his father's slaying


A teen-ager was arrested yesterday and charged with killing his father in a robbery at the man's town house in Germantown, Montgomery County police said.

Stevenson King, 19, of the first block of Cross Ridge Court was charged with first-degree murder, armed robbery and a handgun violation in Wednesday's slaying of Steven Hong-Luk King, 51.

Also arrested yesterday was William Dalonte Odom, 17, a next-door neighbor of the son. The youth was charged as an adult with murder, conspiracy and use of a handgun, police said.

Mr. King, the owner of a cafe in Germantown, was believed to have been shot to death late Wednesday at his family's town house on Cross Ridge Court, police said.

The suspected murder weapon and an undisclosed amount of cash allegedly taken from the home have been recovered, police said.

Mr. King lived in Rockville but would often spend a few nights a week at the Germantown town house near his restaurant, police said.

Martin Welch named to city Circuit Court


Martin Pierre Welch, a division chief with the city solicitor's office, was named a judge on the city's Circuit Court yesterday by Gov. William Donald Schaefer.

The appointment of Mr. Welch, 38, fills the vacancy created by the retirement of Judge Joseph I. Pines. Mr. Welch will serve on the court until the general election in November 1994, when he will have the option of standing for election.

Mr. Welch is a 1974 graduate of what was then Frostburg State College. He received his law degree from the University of Maryland in 1977.

An Ashburton resident, he has served in the city solicitor's office since 1980. He currently holds the title of chief of the corporate division.

MCEA picks O'Brien as executive director


John F. X. O'Brien, a former state personnel secretary who clashed with Gov. William Donald Schaefer soon after his election in 1986, yesterday was named executive director of the Maryland Classified Employees Association.

Mr. O'Brien, 56, who also is a former state delegate, replaces Lance R. Cornine as head of the 28,000-member state employee union. Mr. Cornine resigned for personal reasons.

As personnel secretary for three years under Gov. Harry R. Hughes, Mr. O'Brien oversaw employee pay, benefits and other issues involving the state's work force. He served from 1967 to 1975 as a Democratic delegate from Baltimore's 43rd District.

After Mr. Schaefer was elected governor, he quickly replaced Mr. O'Brien following the personnel director's criticism of a move to raise salaries for several Cabinet posts. Mr. O'Brien contended that Mr. Schaefer had not followed legally required procedures in pushing the Board of Public Works to raise the salaries.

Mr. O'Brien said yesterday that he will have no difficulty getting along with the Schaefer administration in his new role. Daryl C. Plevy, an executive assistant to the governor who handles labor issues, said, "We'll work with him if he works with us."

Since leaving public office, Mr. O'Brien has practiced law.

As manager of the union's day-to-day operations, he said he hopes to "educate the public" on the importance of state employees, and intends to focus on union membership retention and recruitment.

"Public employees are working people who deliver services to the citizens of Maryland," and should not be regarded as "an appropriation," Mr. O'Brien said.

Lutherville man faces gambling charges


Federal prosecutors have charged a Lutherville man with running a $2,000-a-day gambling operation.

The charge is contained in a four-count criminal information document, released yesterday, against Stanley J. Zaban, 49, of the 300 block of Meadowcroft Lane. The filing of a criminal information document usually means a defendant has waived indictment and has agreed to plead guilty to the charges.

Mr. Zaban could not be reached for comment.

He is charged with operating an illegal gambling business, money laundering, bank fraud and tax evasion. Arraignment is scheduled Thursday in U.S. District Court.

Assistant U.S. Attorney Robert M. Thomas Jr. charges in court papers that from May 1986 until March 23, 1992, Mr. Zaban ran a gambling enterprise that included at least five other people. According to court documents, the business was involved in bookmaking, cash payoffs on wagers and distributing information to gamblers for sports bets.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad