Alfred L. Mathias
Food service executive
Services for Alfred L. Mathias, a retired food service executive, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Glyndon United Methodist Church, where he was a 20-year member.
The Cockeysville resident died Monday of congestive heart failure at Greater Baltimore Medical Center. He was 89.
He was co-founder of M & M Restaurants Inc., which had food service contracts with many large corporations in the area. In 1955, he founded the A. L. Mathias Co., retaining the M & M contracts and reaching into school, college, hospital and vending service markets.
In 1963, after expanding his operations to eight states in the mid-Atlantic region, he merged with Servomation Corp., remaining its president and board chairman until his retirement in 1967.
Born in Marysville, Pa., Mr. Mathias spent much of his life in Baltimore. He graduated from Baltimore City College in 1922 and from Gettysburg College in 1926.
He was a lifelong member of the Rotary Club International and the Boumi Temple, and a member of the Baltimore Country Club, the Center Club and the Sparrows Point Country Club.
He also was a director of the National Restaurant Association. He and his wife, the former Carrie Lenhart, traveled to 147 countries during their 58 years of marriage.
They had lived on a farm in northern Baltimore County, but for the past 12 years they were residents of Broadmead, the retirement community in Cockeysville.
He is survived by his wife; a son, George D. Mathias of Upperco; three grandchildren; and two great grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial donations to the Glyndon United Methodist Church Memorial Fund, Glyndon 21030.
Fred Robbins, a Baltimore-born radio personality who became a TV host and celebrity interviewer in New York, died of lymphoma in a hospital there Tuesday. He was 73.
Mr. Robbins graduated from the University of Baltimore Law School but chose to go into broadcasting and magazine writing. His broadcast experience began in Baltimore at radio station WITH.
In 1942, he joined WHN radio in New York City. He first won wide attention for his snappy patter on the "1280 Club" jazz show on radio station WOV in New York City. He would begin by intoning such slangy verbal riffs as:
"Hiya cat, wipe your feet on the mat. Let's slap on the fat and dish out some scat."
Mr. Robbins became the disk jockey of the "Robbins Nest" radio show on WINS, WABC and WNEW, all in New York, and the host of television variety and quiz shows, including "The Eddie Fisher Coke Time Hour" and "Haggis Baggis," an NBC-TV quiz show.
He did interview programs for many radio networks and filmed nearly 100 behind-the-scenes features on movie-making that were broadcast for nearly a decade on "CBS Movie Nights."
He was also a feature interviewer for Cable News Network and wrote profiles of celebrities for many magazines, among them US, Gentleman's Quarterly, Family Weekly, Vogue, Penthouse, Saturday Evening Post and New Woman. He was co-author of a biography of comedian Richard Pryor called, "This Cat's Got Nine Lives."
A eulogy he gave for the great trumpet player, Louis Armstrong, was read into the Congressional Record: "Move over Gabriel, here comes Satchmo."
In addition to his wife, Ingrid, his survivors include two daughters, Lorelei Robbins of Atlanta and Cathy Robbins of New Orleans; three sisters, Joyce Tannenbaum of Potomac and Floryne Myers and Gail Levy, both of Baltimore; and two grandchildren.
Services were conducted in New York yesterday. The family suggested memorial donations to the American Cancer Society.
John L. Gainor
John Loughran Gainor, a retired building maintenance supervisor for the Western Electric Co. in Baltimore, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at Nanticoke Memorial Hospital in Seaford, Del. He was 84.
A resident of Laurel, Del., Mr. Gainor worked for Western Electric for 28 years, retiring in 1972. He served in the Army during World War II.
He was a member of the Mount Zion United Methodist Church in Laurel and the Telephone Pioneers of America.
Survivors include his wife, Ida Manworren Gainor of Laurel; a son, William Millea Gainor of Parkton; a daughter, Nancy Lee Matthews of New Paris, Pa.; four grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Services were to be private.
Louis E. Nolan
Owned bus company
A Mass of Christian burial for Louis E. Nolan, owner of a charter bus business, will be offered at 10 a.m. today at St. Mark's Roman Catholic Church on Melvin Avenue in Catonsville.
Mr. Nolan, who started Ridgeway Motor Coach Inc. in 1955, died of cancer at his Hebbville home Tuesday. He was 69.
Born in Baltimore, he grew up in the Irvington area and attended Mount St. Joseph's High School there.
He served in the Army from 1941 to 1946. He was a corporal assigned to transportation at Fort Benning, Ga.
Later, he was a member of American Legion Post 25 in Catonsville where his father, the late Bernard F. Nolan, had been post commander.
When he was young, the son had played the bugle in the post's drum and bugle corps.
From 1946 to 1954, he worked for the Baltimore Motor Coach Co., then formed his own company and offered charter tours throughout the United States and Canada. The company also transported children to parochial schools for 31 years.
In 1990, he received the Safety Award of the American Bus Association and the United Bus Owners of America.
Beside his wife of 49 years, the former Margaret Price, survivors include two sons, Charles L. Nolan and David F. Nolan, both of Baltimore; a brother, Bernard Nolan of Finksburg; a sister, Margaret Kackrite of Davidsonville; and two grandchildren.
William A. Favand
A memorial service for William A. Favand, a landscape designer and tenor soloist, will be held at 1 p.m. Sunday at Clinton United Presbyterian Church in Clinton, Pa., and at 7:30 p.m. Tuesday at First and Franklin Street Presbyterian Church, Park Avenue and Madison Street, Baltimore.
Mr. Favand died of stomach cancer Sunday at his mother's home in Clinton. He was 49.
Born in Sturgeon, Pa., he graduated from West Alleghany High School in Imperial, Pa., and from Pennsylvania State University, where he earned degrees in horticulture and landscape architecture.
From 1967 to 1973, he worked for Buchart-Horn in York, Pa., doing landscape design work that included the master plan and pool design for Codorus State Park, southwest of York. He also designed other parks and private gardens in the region.
He moved to Baltimore in 1976 as a landscape architect with the city's Department of Housing and Community Development.
He handled all the street tree planning for the department and created a computerized system for maintaining an inventory of existing street trees. He also made a plan for future tree plantings that could be used as a national model.
In Baltimore, he lived in the Bolton Hill area.
He sang in Baltimore churches for 25 years, having traveled here from York before moving to Baltimore. The churches included the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, First and Franklin Street Presbyterian and St. David's Episcopal.
He also sang with the Handel Choir from 1968 to 1976 and with the Baltimore Symphony Orchestra for several years in the early 1980s. He toured in Europe in 1966 with the Pennsylvania State Chapel Choir and in 1976 with the Maryland Camerata.
For the past nine months, while he was terminally ill, he lived with his mother, Melanie Budness of Clinton.
He is also survived by his father, Jules Favand of Oakdale, Pa.; his former wife, Ann Hege Hughes of Baltimore; their two daughters, Monica Favand of Philadelphia and Rene Favand of Baltimore; a brother, Jules Favand of Oakdale; two sisters, Margaret Fentiman of Columbus, Ohio, and Jane Marvin of Coconut Creek, Fla., and numerous nieces and nephews.
The family suggested memorial donations to HERO at 101 W. Read St., Baltimore, Md. 21201, or First and Franklin Street Presbyterian Church.
May Spear Crook
May Spear Crook, a lifelong member of Baltimore's Brown Memorial Presbyterian Church, died of heart failure June 17 at the Fairmont Nursing Center. She was 89.
Born in Baltimore, the former May Horner Spear grew up on Eutaw Place and graduated from Strayer Business College. She worked in the 1940s and 1950s as a secretary at Blakeslee-Lane Inc., photographers.
She was married in 1926 to Arthur V. Foard. After he died in 1928, she moved to England for a year. During her return voyage in 1929, she met Frederick Crook, an Englishman, and they eventually married.
She lived in Canada until Mr. Crook's death there in 1934.
Mrs. Crook is survived by a son, Arthur V. Foard of Severna Park; a daughter, Joan Crook Harney of Falls Church, Va.; three grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
Services were private.
Worked at Esskay
Mayme Vittek, who worked in offices of the Esskay Quality Meat Company for nearly 56 years, died June 13 at St. Joseph Hospital of internal injuries received in a fall. She was 93.
Born in East Baltimore, where she remained a resident for much of her long life, Miss Vittek was educated at the former St. Wenceslaus School in the 800 block of N. Collington Ave. She also attended Miss Miller's, a secretarial school.
In 1919, she began her employment at Esskay in the accounting department. Over the years, she worked in various offices of the company, becoming a receptionist in 1941 and retiring in 1975.
Miss Vittek was the youngest of six children, five boys and one girl, of Josephine and Frank Vittek, with whom she lived in East Baltimore. After her parents' deaths, she continued to live in the family house with her brother, Albert, who was an artist for the News American. After her brother's death in 1953, she moved to the Ambassador Apartments at 39th Street and Canterbury road.
In 1990, she moved into the Meridian Multi-Medical Center at 7700 York Road, Towson.
Miss Vittek is survived by three nieces, Patricia Placide, Marie Kraus and Joan Wellington, all of Baltimore; and seven nephews, retired Navy Cmdr. Albert Vittek of Annapolis and Joseph F. Vittek, Joseph A. Vittek, Francis Vittek, Robert Vittek, James Vittek and John Vittek, all of Baltimore.
A Mass of Christian burial was offered June 15 at the Roman Catholic Shrine of the Little Flower on Belair Road.
C. Lilian Temkin
C. Lilian Temkin, a former language teacher-translator and retired editor, died yesterday at Union Memorial Hospital after a heart attack.
Mrs. Temkin, who was 86 and a resident of Roland Park Place, retired in 1971 after more than 10 years as assistant editor of the Bulletin of the History of Medicine.
A translator of many scholarly and historical writings, Mrs. Temkin also taught German at Manchester University in England and, locally, at the Johns Hopkins University and Bryn Mawr School.
The former Clarice Lilian Shelley was born in Newport, in southeastern Wales. She studied French and German language
and literature at the University of Wales in Aberystwyth, where she received a master's degree.
In 1932 she married Owsei Temkin, a professor of the history of medicine at the University of Leipzig in Germany, and the couple subsequently moved to Baltimore. They became U.S. citizens in 1938.
She was a member of the Johns Hopkins University Woman's Club.
Mrs. Temkin is survived by her husband, now a professor emeritus of the history of medicine at Johns Hopkins University; two daughters, Ann J. Temkin of Atlanta and Judith T. Irvine of Cambridge, Mass.; and a sister, Winifred S. Nyblad of Newport, Wales.
No funeral was planned.
The family suggested memorial donations to Save the Children.