50 Years Ago (week of June 21-27, 1942):
* The Board of County Commissioners announced that the commissioners set aside money to purchase uniforms and equipment for the Minute Men of Howard County. The various Minute Men companies had taken basic training with the Maryland State Guard, and were now ready to be organized under their own command. The drills performed by the units emphasized organization and quick response to emergencies.
* Ida M. Brown, secretary to the county agent, was appointed to the position of federal explosive licensing agent for Howard County. The position was created under the Federal Explosive Act of 1941 to regulate the manufacture, distribution and possession of explosives. The idea was to prevent explosives from falling into the hands of those unqualified to use them safely, or those who might have hostile intentions toward the United States.
25 Years Ago (week of June 18-24, 1967):
* Rouse Co. extended an invitation to all county residents to tour the new city of Columbia this week. Residents could choose a self-guided driving tour along newly paved roads marked by signs, or park their cars and take a minibus trip through downtown Columbia and the Village of Wilde Lake.
* Montgomery Road area residents attended a zoning hearing this week to protest a proposed change that would rezone a 10-acre tract from residential to commercial. Developers seeking the zoning change wanted to build a shopping center on the north side of Montgomery Road, about 2,500 feet southeast of Kerger Road. Residents protested that the zoning change would adversely affect their property values and would detract from the rural quality of the neighborhood. The case was taken under advisement by the county commissioners.
Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's Library.