WESTMINSTER -- St. John School recently presented the following students with awards and scholarships:
* Brigid Boyce: The Father Duerr Scholarship to Mount de Sales High School for academic excellence.
* Kerry O'Brien: Board of Trustees Scholarship to Maryvale Preparatory School for overall excellence; Academic Scholarship to the Seton-Keough High School; finalist for Marion Burk Knott four-year scholarship competition.
* Matthew Smith: Loyola Scholar Athlete Scholarship.
* Adam Coleman: Four-year Marion Burk Knott Academic Scholarship to St. John School.
* Alice Middleton: First-place winner in Youth Writing Competition Short Story Contest sponsored by the Women's Club of Westminster, also state level first-place winner.
* Erin Fencil:Third-place winner in Catholic War Veterans National Essay Contest, "How can we improve our educational System?"
* Kathleen Hoguet and Heather Smith: First- and second-place winners, respectively, in American Heritage and Patriotism Contest sponsored by Valley Lions Club.
* Rebecca Kowalski: First-place winner in Catholic War Veterans Patriotic Poster Contest.
* Jonathan Erbe: Seventh-grade county winner in Bucketmouth Bassmasters Conservation Essay Contest.
The Westminster Optimist Club Oratorical Contest winners were:
* Boys: First place, Jonathan Erbe (also district winner, goes on ,, to state competition); second place, Christopher Wallis.
* Girls: Second place, Susanah Fisher; third place, Sabraya Ibraham.
* Other participants: Jennifer Andersen, Erin Fencil, Megan Fencil, Kimberly Lisowsky, Bridget Quenzer, Stephanie Walsh.
The American Legion Essay Contest, "How lucky I am to live in America," winners were:
* Group 1: first place, Patrick Scheper.
* Group 2: first place, Jennifer Hodgin; second place, Aaron Jenkins; third place, Jonathan Erbe.
The Johns Hopkins University Center for the Advancement of Academically Talented Youth 1992 Talent Search winners were:
Jonathan Erbe, Megan Fencil, Kevin Fitch, Shawn Love, Meghan Smith, Christopher Wallis.