Baltimore Sun’s BEST party in 2 weeks

Infant girl dies in city rowhouse fire

THE BALTIMORE SUN

An 11-month-old Baltimore girl died in a fire started by a candle her mother was using to light her home after her electricity was turned off because she had not paid her bill.

Baltimore Gas and Electric Co. officials said yesterday they made repeated attempts to help Shalonda Anderson, 22, pay her bill before her power was cut off.

On Thursday night, the woman's 11-month-old daughter was killed, the child's brother and sister overcome by smoke and three firefightersinjured in a fire that was started by a candle in the rowhouse in the 500 block of E. 23rd St., just north of Greenmount Cemetery.

Police identified the dead child as Dominique Brown, whose first birthday would have been July 7.

The surviving children, Wayne Campbell, 3, and Christine Brown, 19 months, were in stable condition yesterday at Johns Hopkins Hospital. The mother was not injured.

OC Firefighter Harry Wagner and Lt. Donald Fout Sr. suffered minor

burns, and Lt. Dean Muscello was treated for stress. All three were released after treatment.

BG&E; spokesman Arthur J. Slusark said power to the house was terminated Wednesday.

"We've had extensive contact with the customer, at least over the last 12 months," he said. Ms. Anderson received several phone calls, bill extensions and turn-off notices. A field representative visited her home on several occasions.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad
59°