BASEBALL American League
* CHICAGO WHITE SOX -- Recalled Roberto Hernandez, pitcher, from Vancouver of the Pacific Coast League. Sent Matt Merullo, catcher, to Vancouver.
* NEW YORK YANKEES -- Activated Jesse Barfield, outfielder, from the 15-day disabled list. Optioned Pat Kelly, infielder, to Columbus of the International League.
* OAKLAND ATHLETICS -- Activated Rickey Henderson, outfielder, from the 15-day disabled list. Placed Randy Ready, infielder, on the 15-day disabled list.
* FLORIDA MARLINS -- Named Adolfo Salgueiro assistant media relations director.
* PITTSBURGH PIRATES -- Signed Jason Kendall, catcher, and assigned him to Bradenton of the Gulf Coast League.
* ST. LOUIS CARDINALS -- Placed Ozzie Smith, shortstop, on the 15-day disabled list. Recalled Bien Figueroa, shortstop, from Louisville of the American Association.
* SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS -- Optioned Dave Burba, pitcher, to Phoenix of the Pacific Coast League. Recalled Francisco Oliveras, pitcher, from Phoenix.
* ORLANDO MAGIC -- Renounced its rights to Mark Acres, center-forward, and Otis Smith, guard-forward.
* PHILADELPHIA 76ERS -- Traded Charles Barkley, forward, to the Phoenix Suns for Jeff Hornacek, guard; Tim Perry, forward, and Andrew Lang, center.
* PHOENIX SUNS -- Waived Ian Lockhart, forward, and Steve Burtt, guard.
National Hockey League
* ST. LOUIS BLUES -- Signed Daniel LaPerriere, defensmeman.
HORSE RACING New York Racing Association
* NYRA -- Named Clinton Pitts Jockey Club steward.
* ATLANTIC 10 CONFERENCE -- Named Charles Theokas, Temple athletic director, president; Ed Pastilong, West Virginia athletic director, vice president; Don DiJulia, St. Joseph's athletic director, secretary-treasurer, and Steve Bilsky, George Washington athletic director, past president.
* UC DAVIS -- Named Maryclare Robinson women's interim soccer coach and Jon Wheeler men's assistant basketball coach.
4 * DAYTON -- Named Ted Kissell athletic director.