Christopher O'Neil, Loyola High studentChristopher O'Neil died...


Christopher O'Neil, Loyola High student

Christopher O'Neil died in an auto accident Friday, trying to meet his midnight curfew.

The popular 17-year-old Loyola High School student, who lived in Homeland, will be buried at Dulaney Valley Memorial Gardens today, after a 10 a.m. funeral Mass at the Cathedral of Mary Our Queen.

The young man was killed at 11:55 p.m. Friday when the 1990 Nissan Sentra in which he was a rear-seat passenger veered out of control on Jerome Jay Drive near Oregon Ridge, flipped over a barrier and plunged into a streambed.

Chris, who was not wearing a seat belt, was thrown through the rear window, Baltimore County police said. He was pronounced dead at the scene. The driver, Adam H. Confer, 16, of Baldwin, and another passenger, Sarah R. Cohen, 17, of the 3300 block of Fallstaff Road, both were taken to the Maryland Shock Trauma Center and were released Saturday.

According to Christopher's father, Thomas F. O'Neil Jr., the young man had been dancing and playing pool at a party when the Confer and Cohen youngsters stopped by to drive him home to meet his midnight curfew.

The accident occurred about a mile from where Chris got into the car, Mr. O'Neil said.

Chris had completed his junior year just last week and was looking forward to practicing all summer before trying out next season for the Loyola varsity lacrosse team, said a brother, Thomas F. O'Neil III, 19.

"He worked very hard," his brother said.

Chris helped coach the team at the Jemicy School where another brother, Stephen, 13, is a student.

Born in Baltimore, he attended the Cathedral School through the sixth grade, when he switched to Loyola. According to Assistant Headmaster John Stewart, Chris was among the most popular boys in his class at Loyola and was a good student.

He played junior varsity soccer and lacrosse, was an excellent student and had a facility for extemporaneous speaking.

Chris' parents, Thomas F. O'Neil Jr. and Pamela O'Neil, were attending a graduation in California when the accident occurred. They returned to Baltimore Saturday.

Police said Adam Confer had been drinking. However, the investigation has not been completed and no charges have been filed.

Chris is survived by his parents; three brothers, Thomas F. III, Stephen B. and Michael, 5; and his grandparents.

In lieu of flowers, the family is asking that contributions be made to the Christopher Gerard O'Neil Memorial Trust, c/o Thomas F. O'Neil Jr., 2 E. Read St., Baltimore 21202. Services for Alphonso C. Warrington, associate professor emeritus of biology at Morgan State University, will be held at 11:30 a.m. tomorrow at the Morgan Christian Center, 4307 Hillen Road.

Dr. Warrington, who was 84, died Saturday of cancer at the Baltimore County General Hospital.

A resident of Fairview Road in Woodlawn, he retired in 1977 after 30 years on the Morgan faculty. He was honored with emeritus status in 1981.

Earlier in his career, he taught at Dover State College in Delaware. After his retirement, he worked as a real estate agent.

The native of Georgetown, Del., earned bachelor's and master's degrees at Howard University and his doctorate at New York University.

A member of the Phi Beta Sigma service fraternity, he was scholarship chairman for the Woodlawn Improvement Association -- holding an annual raffle for its textbook fund for students -- and was active in the Liberty Road Community Council.

He was a member of St. James Episcopal Church on Lafayette Square and a former member of Sharon Baptist Church, who sometimes attended the Epworth United Methodist Chapel.

His first wife, the former Nellie McKinney, died in 1976.

He is survived by his wife, the former Rose Gwynn Wallace Byrd; and a sister, Ruth C. Fowler of Columbia. Services for Ernestine H. Burns, a retired hairdresser, will be held at 2:30 p.m. today at the Harrison E. Leonard Funeral Home in St. Michaels.

Mrs. Burns died Friday at Kitty's Domiciliary Home in Sudlersville of complications from Alzheimer's disease. She was 83.

She moved to St. Michaels from Washington about 20 years ago. She worked at Washington's Willard Hotel as a hairdresser in the 1940s and the 1950s.

The former Ernestine Hurst was a native of Gwynn's Island in Virginia. Her husband, Howard L. Burns, died in 1988.

She was a member of St. Luke's United Methodist Church in St. Michaels and the United Methodist Women there.

She is survived by a daughter, Bettye Burns of Towson; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Vivian Marie Taylor

Teacher and volunteer

A Mass of the Resurrection for Vivian Marie Taylor, a retired elementary school teacher, will be offered at 7:30 p.m. tomorrow at Immaculate Conception Roman Catholic Church, Druid Hill Avenue and Mosher Street.

Mrs. Taylor, who was 77 and lived on Myrtle Avenue, died Saturday of cancer at Mercy Medical Center. She retired 15 years ago after teaching for 20 years in public schools.

Born in Baltimore, the former Vivian Marie Clark was a graduate of St. Peter Claver School and, in 1931, of Douglass High School. A graduate of what is now Coppin State College, she earned a bachelor's degree from Towson State University.

At Immaculate Conception Church, she sang in the choir, did volunteer work at the Outreach Center and was a member of the Ladies of Charity.

Her husband, William D. Taylor, died in 1977.

She is survived by two daughters, Anne Clark Taylor and Carol Frances Taylor, and a sister, A. Bernice Mitchell, all of Baltimore; and three grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad