Capital Gazette wins special Pulitzer Prize citation for coverage of newsroom shooting that killed five

If restored, phonograph may play again


Q: I have an old Edison phonograph that belonged to my grandfather. Where can I find parts, needles and cylinder records? Who can restore it?

A: Phonographs and parts, records, musical instruments, sheet music, music boxes, jukeboxes, music-related advertisements, store displays and more are available at the Antique Village Museum and Wild West Town, U.S. Highway 20 and South Union Road in Union, Ill. Write to the museum's antique phonograph repairer, Larry Donley, 8512 S. Union Road, Union, Ill. 60180, or call (815) 923-2214. If you write, enclose a description or photo of the phonograph and the parts it needs.

Q: I collect butter pat plates. How can I learn more about such plates and their value?

A: The Butter Pat Collectors' Notebook, a quarterly newsletter, is available for $17.50 a year from Marjorie Geddes, 5955 S.W. 179th Ave., Beaverton, Ore. 97007. Some of the little plates (called "pats" or "chips") sell for big bucks.

Q: Is there a club for candy-related collectibles?

A: The quarterly Candy Bar Gazebo newsletter is $15 a year from Ray Broekel, 6 Edge St., Ipswich, Mass. 01938. Also write to the Candy Container Collectors of America, Box 8708, Canton, Ohio 44711, enclosing an addressed, stamped envelope for information.

L Q: How can I check out the value of a Wallace Nutting print?

A: Send a description of the print to Michael Ivankovich, Box 2458, Doylestown, Pa. 18901, or phone him at (215) 345-6094 about his Wallace Nutting auction Friday, to be held in conjunction with the 1992 Wallace Nutting Collector's Club annual convention in Hudson, Ohio. Catalogs for the Nutting auction (from which one can bid by phone or mail) are available from Mr. Ivankovich for $12 postpaid; a list of sale prices will follow. The Nutting catalog and price key make a good reference for evaluating the prints.

Q: I have more than 70 bells in my collection and would like to know who I can give them to when I no longer want them.

A: Write to the American Bell Association International Inc. in care of its president, Marjorie Glassco, 606 Virginia Ave., Fredericksburg, Va. 22401.

The association's 47th annual convention will be June 24-27 in Appleton, Wis. For details, write to Lois Blackburn, 902 E. North St., Appleton, Wis. 54911.

An annual membership and bimonthly magazine are available for $20 from Charles Blake, Box 172, Shoreham, Vt. 05770.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad