Baltimore Sun’s BEST party in 2 weeks

H. Baetjer II, fighter pilot, businessmanA memorial...


H. Baetjer II, fighter pilot, businessman

A memorial service for Howard Baetjer II, retired owner of TC binding company and a combat veteran of World War II, will be held at 11 a.m. Monday at St. Thomas' Episcopal Church, St. Thomas Lane and Garrison Forest Road.

Mr. Baetjer, who lived on Brooklawn Road in Stevenson, died Tuesday of an apparent heart attack in his sleep while in Asheville, N.C., on a golfing trip. He was 73.

He retired about 10 years ago. He had owned Everyman's Finishing Co., which bound annual reports, prospectuses and similar publications.

Earlier, he worked for Mount Vernon Mills, Waverly Press and, in the 1950s and 1960s, for The Baltimore Sun, where he was assistant home delivery manager and assistant production manager.

Born in Baltimore, he attended the Gilman School before graduating in 1938 from the Hill School in Pottstown, Pa. He was a 1942 graduate of Princeton University.

During World War II, he was a fighter pilot in the Army Air Forces and was shot down twice over enemy-held territory. The first time, he landed in Yugoslavia and was smuggled out of the country by partisans. The second time, he was captured by Germans in Hungary.

Mr. Baetjer was a vestryman and a lifelong member of St. Thomas' Church.

He is survived by his wife, the former Katharine Finney; two sons, Howard Baetjer Jr. of Washington and Walter Bruce Baetjer of Providence, R.I.; two daughters, Mary Elizabeth Baetjer Mayer of Rodgers Forge and Anne Baetjer Jenkins of Bernardsville, N.J.; a brother, H. Norman Baetjer Jr. of Garrison; and three grandchildren.

The family suggested memorial contributions to St. Thomas' Church or the Central Maryland Chapter of the Alzheimer's Association.

Robert J. Buettner

Equipment operator

Graveside services for Robert J. Buettner, a retired operator of heavy construction equipment, will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Steep Hill Cemetery in Fort Smith, Ark.

Mr. Buettner, who was 75 and moved to Muldrow, Okla., about 15 years ago, died Friday at a hospital in nearby Fort Smith.

Before he retired and moved to Oklahoma, he worked for contractors through Local 37 of the Operating Engineers Union in Baltimore.

For a time in the 1960s, he owned his own excavating company in Ante, Va.

The Baltimore native worked at the Key Highway Shipyard of the Bethlehem Steel Corp. during World War II.

He is survived by a son, Robert S. Buettner of Baltimore; a sister, Carrie Mason of Baltimore; and several nieces and nephews.

Dr. Edward Stone Jr.

Dentist for 6 decades

Services for Dr. Edward D. Stone Jr., who was a dentist in Baltimore for just over 60 years, will be held at 1 p.m. today at the Roland Park Presbyterian Church, 4801 Roland Ave.

Dr. Stone, who was 91, died Saturday at home on Padonia Road in Lutherville of congestive heart failure.

He had retired in 1986 after practicing since his graduation in 1925 from the University of Maryland Dental School.

Born in Greenville, Del., he came to Baltimore while in his teens when his father became pastor of the Hampden United Methodist Church.

He was a graduate of City College and of Western Maryland College where he belonged to a World War I Army program for students.

In 1966, he received a master's degree in liberal arts from the Johns Hopkins University.

A resident of Roland Park and Hampden for many years, he maintained an office in the Medical Arts Building and then for about 20 years at his home in the 3800 block of Keswick Road.

From 1934 until 1970, he was a dentist for the Maryland Casualty Company and maintained an office there.

He was a former president of the University of Maryland Alumni Association. He was also president in 1942 and 1943 of the Baltimore City Dental Society and in 1952 and 1953 of the Maryland State Dental Association.

He also served on a city committee that campaigned for fluoridation of the water.

He also belonged to the Mahool Potts Post of the American Legion and the Baltimore Country Club.

For many years, he maintained a summer home in Cape May, N.J.

His wife, the former Opal Harrison, died in 1989.

He is survived by two daughters, Susan Stone MacLea of Lutherville and Judith Stone Brennan of Cockeysville; six grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad