Early bird tickets for Baltimore’s BEST party on sale now!

Small crowd watches McCourry KO


Before the smallest crowd since Josh Hall and Victoria Savaliski moved Round One Promotions Dinner and Boxing Show to Michael's 8th Avenue in Glen Burnie, "Irish" Carson McCourry of Pasadena was the lone hometown winner on the five-bout card that ran in record time.

The ring-card girl wasn't needed until the third fight, and the first four bouts were over in less than an hour, in front of about 350 spectators.

McCourry (4-1) knocked out Richard Duke (1-2) of Virginia Beach at 1:25 of the first round of their scheduled four-round super middleweight bout. Weighing in at 165 pounds, McCourry was on the attack from the opening bell, and didn't let up until he took Duke out with a powerful uppercut.

Hall was in McCourry's corner, and didn't have to worry about relinquishing his duties of running the show for long. Before you could bat an eye, Duke was on his back.

The knockout came on the heels of Gerard Jordan's first-round TKO of Mike "Him Bad" Duncan (3-3-1) of Washington in a junior middleweight fight.

Referee Carl Milligan stopped the fight at 1:57 after Duncan started bleeding profusely above his left eye and could no longer defend against the punches of Baltimore's Jordan.

Baltimore's Gerry Walker (6-5-1) took the main event when Ivory "Tip Top" Teague (5-6-0) of Washington couldn't answer the bell for the sixth round of the scheduled eight-round middleweight bout. Walker was clearly the aggressor, scoring point after point with his combinations.

Walker was ecstatic to win the fight for Charles Avara, a Maryland state delegate from Baltimore who is recovering from brain surgery. Avara was sitting in a wheelchair near ringside.

"It was great to win for Mr. Avara," said Walker. "My family and I think a lot of him, and it's miraculous the way he has battled back from that surgery. I know I made him happy tonight."

In his pro debut, Pete Purdy of Atlantic City took a four-round unanimous decision over Donnell Sessions (1-2) of Baltimore in a lightweight (140 pounds) bout, and Cecil Sims, the ex-cook at Dino's Restaurant, was knocked out in the second round of the other fight.

Sims (5-5-1) was hammered by Keith "The Almighty" King of Virginia Beach at 1:57 of the second round of their scheduled six-round light-heavyweight (178 pounds) bout. After a competitive first round with King looking sloppy, Sims didn't have a chance.

Seconds into Round 2, King (2-1) had Sims on his back. After getting up and taking an eight count from referee Ray Klingmeyer, Sims' eyelids opened wide as King charged across the ring. Soon, Sims eyes were closed and he was out.

Hall announced that the next show at Michael's will be Thursday, June 25, with the probable return of the popular Chuck Sturm of Glen Burnie.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad