50 Years Ago (week of May 17-23, 1942):
* Walter Rupp of Long Island, N.Y., became the new owner of Riverside Farm, a Howard County estate located near the banks of the Little Patuxent River. The estate, an old county landmark, comprised about 100 acres, including a house and former slave quarters.
* George E. Taylor resigned his position as warden of the Howard County Jail this week, to work as a guard at the Maryland House of Corrections in Jessup. Taylor had recently won praise from the Howard County grand jury for the improvements he had effected in conditions at the county jail.
25 Years Ago (week of May 14-20, 1967):
* A Howard County police officer and his K-9 companion flushed out three alleged burglars this week. The suspects were apprehended when police responded to a call reporting suspicious activity inside a Montgomery Road service station. The policeman and his dog chased two of the suspects through the woods and caught up with them near Witzke's Funeral Home on Columbia Pike. A third accomplice was found hiding in a parked car at the National Guard Armory on Montgomery Road across from the service station. A search of the car turned up items linking the suspects with earlier burglaries at various Ellicott City businesses.
* County Commissioners voted this week in favor of rezoning a 6.74-acre parcel of land from half-acre, single-family home lots to garden apartment zoning. The commissioners who voted in favor of the rezoning stated that the change would not adversely affect the area but, rather, would "tend to conserve and stabilize property values in the area." Developing this parcel, known as Chatham (formerly the Ramsburg farm), would necessitate the opening of Chatham Road north of U.S. 40.
Information for this column was culled from the Howard County Historical Society's library.