Charles W. Ruth
A Mass of Christian burial for Charles W. Ruth, a mechanical engineer and contractor, will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Mary of the Assumption Roman Catholic Church, 5502 York Road in Govans.
Mr. Ruth, who was 69 and lived on Upnor Road, died Thursday of heart failure at St. Joseph Hospital.
In 1953, he started his own mechanical contracting firm, Ingleside Contractors. After retiring from that, he became associated with a son's firm, Ruth Mechanical Inc.
Mr. Ruth's employees earned 10 Building Congress and Exchange Craftsmanship Awards. He had been president of the Baltimore Chapter of Associated Builders and Contractors and vice president of the Utility Contractors Association.
He was a member of the National Society of Professional Engineers, the Engineering Society of Baltimore, the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air Conditioning Engineers, the American Society of Plumbing Engineers and the American Institute of Management.
The Baltimore native was a graduate of Mount St. Joseph High School. He began studying mechanical engineering at the University of Maryland but received his degree from Cornell University.
While still a student at Maryland, he worked as a project engineer for the Western Electric Co., which took out three patents on work he did.
After his graduation from Cornell, toward the end of World War II, he served as a Navy engineering officer on a landing support rocket ship in the Pacific.
He was employed by Poole & Kent Co. before starting his own business.
At St. Mary's, he was an usher, a member of the school board and chairman of the building and maintenance committee. The church hall, now being renovated, is to be dedicated in his memory.
He was a member of the Knights of Columbus, the Order of the Alhambra and the American Legion. He had been president of the Chinquapin Park Improvement Association.
He is survived by his wife, the former Elizabeth Anne Will; two sons, C. William Ruth of Phoenix and Michael W. Ruth of Timonium; five daughters, Kathleen Driskill of Townsend, Del., Marie Cirri of Timonium, Joanne Fitzpatrick of Pikesville, Mary Elizabeth Peirce of Perry Hall and Dr. Nancy Ruth Lee of Silver Spring; a brother, John W. Ruth of Catonsville; a sister, Ann R. Hartman of Catonsville; and eight grandchildren. Samuel Luchinsky, a retired pickle manufacturer who began his business in the Hollins Market in 1932, died April 25 at Baltimore County General Hospital after a heart attack. He was 83.
The resident of Charmel Drive in the Rockdale area retired about 10 years ago as president of Aetna Packing Co. in Glen Burnie.
At the Hollins Market, he not only sold pickles but grated horseradish and coconut with a machine he built himself.
He then established a pickle factory in the area where Oriole Park at Camden Yards is now located. For many years, Eastern Shore farmers grew cucumbers for him under contract.
The Baltimore native and graduate of City College enjoyed woodworking and made many small toys for children.
He is survived by his wife, the former Esther I. Witten; a son, Izak Luchinsky of Baltimore; a daughter, Linda Waxter of Owings Mills; a sister, Rosalie Kandel of Mount Washington; three grandchildren; and a great-granddaughter.
Services for Mr. Luchinsky were held April 26 at the Sol Levinson & Bros. Home.
Jean D. Peterson
A memorial service for Jean Drinker Peterson, an avid golfer who shot a hole in one at age 70, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at St. John's Episcopal Church at South Road and Kelly Avenue in Mount Washington.
Mrs. Peterson died Wednesday of cancer at the Manor Care Nursing and Rehabilitation Center at 7001 N. Charles St. in Ruxton where she had lived for eight days. She was 78.
She was born in Philadelphia and moved to Baltimore in 1942 with her husband, Charles H. B. Peterson, past president of the Maryland Casualty Co. He died in 1983 shortly after they celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary.
Mrs. Peterson was a member of the Baltimore Country Club and the Roland Park Women's Club.
She is survived by a daughter, Judith Lees of Grosse Pointe, Mich.; two sons, Henry B. Peterson of Ruxton and Richard D. Peterson of Lutherville; a brother, Richard W. Drinker of Fort Myers, Fla.; eight grandchildren; and five great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to St. John's Episcopal Church, 1700 South Road, Baltimore 21209.
Raised 11 children
A Mass of Christian burial for Gicamina Regina Sudano, TC homemaker who raised 11 children in Little Italy, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. Leo's Roman Catholic Church, 227 S. Exeter St.
Mrs. Sudano died Thursday at Johns Hopkins Hospital after a heart attack. She was 87.
She was born in Baltimore and attended St. Leo's Grade School. At age 10, she began working at Graminia's Bakery at 808 Stiles St., which was owned by her father, Joseph Impallaria.
At 15, she married Sebastiano Sudano and they lived above the bakery.
Mrs. Sudano gave birth to her children at home.
As the children grew up, Mrs. Sudano took them to the Carroll Mansion Mother's Club for recreational activities.
Mr. Sudano died in 1954. They had been married 31 years.
At age 60, she left Baltimore for the first time to visit her daughter, Jackie Cherry and her husband, who was in the Coast Guard. Mrs. Sudano visited them in Bermuda, Hawaii, Alabama and Florida. Mrs. Cherry died in 1984.
Mrs. Sudano is survived by four daughters, Angie and Mary Sudano, and Elizabeth Hillferding, all of Baltimore, and Josephine Rau of Port St. Lucie, Fla.; five sons, Benjamin, Joseph "Chalky," Sam "Joy," Michael "Bo-Bo," and Charles Sudano, all of Baltimore; 17 grandchildren, including Bennie Sudano, whom she raised; 10 great-grandchildren; four sisters, Dina Jagobinski, Antoinette Matczak, Rose Beyer and Jennie Cremen, all of Baltimore; and three brothers, Victor, Charles and Gabriel Impallaria, all of Baltimore.
The family suggested memorial contributions may be sent to St. Leo's Church, 227 S. Exeter St., Baltimore 21202.
Paul K. Neumann
Real estate executive
Paul K. Neumann, who headed a commercial real estate development and sales business, died May 11 of cancer at his home on Philips Drive in Pikesville. He was 57.
Mr. Neumann had been president for about five years of PKN Commercial Real Estate Inc. Earlier, he was an agent or broker for other commercial real estate firms.
Born in Dorrmoschel, Germany, he was brought by his family to Baltimore in 1936.
He was a graduate of City College and, in 1955, of the University of Pennsylvania. He served as an officer in the Navy and worked as a furniture manufacturers' representative. In the mid-1960s, he purchased Malcolm's, a Baltimore garden store that became a bath and closet boutique. He owned that business until the late 1970s.
He is survived by his wife, the former Ann Scheuer; a son, Mark Neumann of Baltimore; a daughter, Patricia Neumann of Baltimore; his mother, Frieda Neumann, also of Baltimore; and a brother, Harry Neumann of Claremont, Calif.
The family suggested memorial gifts to assist pancreatic cancer research by Dr. John L. Cameron at Johns Hopkins Medical Institutions.
Private services were planned.