Disbarred lawyer is indicted
A former Baltimore attorney, who was disbarred in October, has been indicted along with an associate on theft and conspiracy in connection with an alleged scheme to sell bogus ** interest in Baltimore real estate, the Baltimore state's attorney's office reported.
Theodore A. Cavacos, who practiced law from an office in the 900 block of W. 36th St. in Hampden until his disbarment, was charged with stealing money from estates he represented. He also was charged with one count of fraud by a fiduciary, in connection with an estate for which he was the personal representative.
Also charged was David Herman, his associate, who allegedly misrepresented himself as an attorney and defrauded investors in a real estate scam.
A grand jury indicted the men May 7. They surrendered to authorities Monday.
The Cecil County Sheriff's Department has arrested eight males in a series of car thefts that occurred in three states.
The suspects, aged 16 to 26, knew each other but operated in three separate groups, police said.
Sheriff's Deputy First Class Bernard Chiominto said the eight, all from Cecil County, have been linked to nearly a dozen car thefts in Cecil County, New Castle County, Del., and Chester County, Pa., in the past four months.
Deputy Chiominto said one group stole Pontiac Trans Ams anChevrolet Camaros. Another preferred four-wheel-drive vehicles such as Suzuki Samauris and Jeeps.
Three teens were charged as juveniles. All adults were released on bond except for a 19-year-old Elkton man held in the county jail on an unrelated charge.
Anne Arundel County officials say they will continue to plan for a new jail in Glen Burnie and an addition to the jail outside Annapolis even though the County Council continued to oppose both proposals yesterday.
Tom Mullenix, assistant budget officer, said the county administration's capital budget calls for construction of a 650-inmate, $87 million jail on Ordnance Road in Glen Burnie in 1998.
The planned completion date for the Glen Burnie jail was put back two years after a storm of protests from community groups.
Detention center Superintendent Richard Baker testified that his million budget includes projections for 60 more inmates a day, which would raise the jail population to 600 inmates and require 22 more jail guards.
Mr. Baker's capital budget also includes $885,000 for planning and site work to build a second 200-inmate addition in 1994.
The jail, on Jennifer Road outside Annapolis, already is undergoing an expansion that will add 100 beds in June and another 100 next year, Mr. Baker said.
County officials said they had little choice but to continue plans to build in Glen Burnie. Mr. Mullenix said a 1991 consultant report said the county could build a high-rise jail at Jennifer Road, but at a cost of $30 million more than at another location.
Baltimore County residents may meet with County Executive Roger B. Hayden from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. May 16 at the Randallstown Library, Liberty and Old Court roads.
The meetings are held periodically in different parts of the county. They offer residents the chance to air concerns about county government and speak to the executive about individual problems and neighborhood complaints.
A Taneytown man, who tried to sell custody of his girlfriend's son to the child's grandfather for $4,000, violated the state law against selling children, the state Court of Appeals has decided.
In what is believed to be the first test of whether the 1989 state law applies to custody disputes, the state's highest court last week affirmed a May 1990 Carroll Circuit Court ruling in which Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. convicted Allen F. Runkles and sentenced him to five years' probation.
"We have no doubt whatsoever that when the legislature declared that a person may not sell a child for anything of value, it intended that the prohibition have a broad reach," the court said. "The transfer of legal and physical custody of a child for money is prohibited under the statute."
A Randallstown woman who had sought to have her husband murdered went free this week after pleading guilty in the conspiracy. Her sentence -- nine years suspended -- came five months after the man she persuaded to help her was sentenced to 18 months in prison.
"It's amazing to me that people can negotiate someone else's death and receive the kind of sentence that Nancy Lolli got," said Don Newcomer, a retired state police detective who worked on the case.
Lolli, 48, of the 3700 block of Trent Road, pleaded guilty in Howard County Monday to conspiracy to commit murder with Pikesville businessman Manuel S. Fram. Lolli and Fram had engaged in a 16-year love affair, said Senior Assistant State's Attorney Christine B. Gage. Ms. Gage said the intended victim, Louis A. Lolli, strongly supported the plea and sentence.
Circuit Judge Cornelius F. Sybert Jr. also placed Mrs. Lolli on supervised probation for five years, ordered her to do 400 hours of community service and directed she have no contact with her husband.
U.S. Sen. Barbara A. Mikulski introduced legislation yesterday that would delay construction of an incinerator to burn a stockpile of the Army's aging mustard agent at Aberdeen Proving Ground until more studies are done and alternative technologies considered.
The Maryland Democrat introduced the legislation because of concerns about emissions from the incinerator -- scheduled for construction in 1995 and operation starting in January 1998 -- voiced by residents near the Harford County post and across the Chesapeake Bay in Kent County.
"I think we all agree that the Army must destroy its outdated and excessive amount of chemical agents and that this must be done responsibly," Ms. Mikulski said.
As part of its $7.9 billion chemical demilitarization program, the Army is scheduled to begin burning mustard agent in July at a test incinerator on Johnston Atoll, a deserted island 750 miles southwest of Hawaii. Mustard agent is a liquid that causes severe blistering.
Limited phone service has been restored to county government offices. Faxes and footwork made up for the lack of telephones at most county offices yesterday -- the second day many county government offices were without full telephone service.
Sue Collins, a county administration spokeswoman, said the telephone system may be fully restored by later today.
The main telephone system, provided by Executone Information Systems Inc., was shut down Monday after a main power supply overheated.
The Sheriff's Department, the 911 emergency phone system and the Health Department and Board of Education were not affected.
Yesterday, callers were given a different phone number to call if the call was urgent. At that number, operators took messages and faxed the information to the appropriate department. Ms. Collins said departments with no fax machines had to rely on "courier service" from departments that do.