Maryland storms past Duke, 13-11


COLLEGE PARK -- In some ways, Maryland lacrosse coach Dick Edell thought, playing a team the Terps had beaten twice this season would be easy.

Maryland already had several scouting reports and didn't have to shop around for videotapes. The hard part would be getting the Terps ready emotionally.

Maryland was slow to rise to the occasion, but answered the wake-up call with seven straight goals during a nine-minute stretch and defeated Duke, 13-11, last night before a crowd of nearly 3,000 at Byrd Stadium in the first round of the NCAA Division I tournament.

Maryland (9-4), the sixth seed, will play at No. 3 Princeton (10-2) on Saturday at noon. The top four seeds had byes yesterday.

Maryland had beaten Duke (7-7) twice this season, 14-13 in overtime during the regular season and 8-6 two weeks ago in the Atlantic Coast Conference tournament.

Just as it had in those two games, Duke gave Maryland plenty of problems and this time jumped to a 4-0 lead by the end of the first period.

But Maryland's surge started with 1:22 left in the first half and didn't end until Duke scored with 7:12 left in the third period. But by then, Maryland had an 8-7 lead. The Blue Devils never got closer than two goals as Maryland went ahead, 10-7, on a Chris Dail goal with 12:58 left in the game and later, 12-8, on a Jon Schoenweitz goal with 7:25 remaining.

"When you have beaten a team twice, you know they're going to be fired up and ready to play. That gives them a little edge," said Edell. "They broke out on us early, and there was very little I could say to our kids. They weren't playing badly, Duke was just playing at an emotionally higher level."

The cooling down of Duke started when Maryland senior midfielder Blake Wynot scored on an over-the-shoulder shot with 1:22 remaining in the half. Maryland sophomore midfielder Sean Crawford then went low with a 15-foot shot with 51 seconds left as Maryland pulled within 6-3 at the end of the half.

Maryland really didn't ignite until strongman defenseman Brian Burlace delivered a scorching speech at halftime. Edell never said a word.

"He came into the locker room and got a lot of people's attention," said Dan Robbins, a sophomore defenseman. "He said we had played the worst half of the season, but we were still in it. He said we weren't going to let our season end here."

Edell said: "It was one of the most fascinating things I've ever seen. I walk in and everybody is all geared up. They knew what they had to do."

Maryland continued its barrage in the third period, scoring the next four goals. Maryland attackman Chris Dail scored outside the crease 50 seconds into the third period, and then freshman attackman Rob Chomo scored off an extra-man situation 2:16 later.

"Big, big goals in the third period," said Edell. "I thought a key was Andy Claxton winning the first couple of faceoffs and giving up the ball. Duke pretty much controlled the action in the first period because they kept winning the draws."

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad