H. B. Cummings, Koppers Co. executive
A memorial service for Harry B. "Gus" Cummings, a retired vice president and general manager of the Metal Products Division of the Koppers Co. who headed government and community groups in Baltimore, will be held at noon June 21 at St. John's Episcopal Church, 3738 Butler Road, Glyndon.
Mr. Cummings, who was 85, died April 13 at his home in Boca Grande, Fla., after an abdominal blood vessel burst.
He retired from Koppers in 1969 after heading the metal products division, headquartered in Baltimore, since 1958. He joined the division at the old Bartlett-Hayward plant in 1956 as vice president and assistant general manager.
He had started working for a gas company in Boston that was affiliated with Koppers in 1934 and also held posts with Koppers or affiliates in New Jersey and at the corporate headquarters in Pittsburgh before coming to Baltimore.
He had served as chairman of the board of the Baltimore branch of the Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, Va., chairman of the Civic Center Commission, president of the Baltimore Community Chest and of the United Fund Drive, president of the board of the South Baltimore General Hospital, now the Harbor Hospital Center, and president of the Baltimore Opera Company.
He also served on several state commissions and advisory boards, and as treasurer of a campaign committee for former Sen. Charles McC. Mathias Jr., a Maryland Republican.
A member of the Commission on Governmental Efficiency and Economy and the executive committee of the Greater Baltimore Committee, he served on the boards of Goucher College, the College of Notre Dame of Maryland, Junior Achievement of Metropolitan Baltimore, the Baltimore Safety Council and the Maryland Academy of Sciences and was chairman of the major gifts division in 1969 of the Maryland Science Center Building Fund Campaign.
He served as vice president of the Chamber of Commerce of Metropolitan Baltimore and the United Nations Association of Maryland and as vice chairman of the 1963 Baltimore Citizens Committee for United Nations Week.
In addition to serving as an officer or board member of firms affiliated with the metal products division of Koppers, he served on the boards of Schenuit Industries, the Maryland National Bank and the First National Bank.
Born in Woburn, Mass., he was a 1927 graduate of Dartmouth College and did graduate work in business at Boston University and the Harvard Business School.
He was a member of the Maryland Club, the Center Club and the Greenspring Valley Hunt Club. His first wife, the former Madge Frey, died in 1965, and his second wife, the former Sybil Merwyn, died in 1985.
He is survived by his wife, the former Margaret Durkin; two sons, H. M. "Peter" Cummings of Key Largo, Fla., and Dr. Charles W. Cummings of Baltimore; a sister, Doris Ferguson of Chapel Hill, N.C.; seven grandchildren; and three great-grandchildren.
Harold A. List, Engineer, inventor
Harold A. List, an engineer credited with more than two dozen U.S. and foreign patents for inventions related to railroad technology and computerized steel manufacturing, died March 29 at the Stella Maris Hospice in Towson of a brain tumor. He was 68.
Mr. List was the former president of Railway Engineering Associates, located in the World Trade Center in Baltimore, which he founded in 1975.
Earlier, he worked at several large corporations including Bethlehem Steel, where he coordinated the computerization of the hot strip mills. He designed and obtained a patent for automatic process control systems for steel furnaces and rolling mills.
Born in Warren, Ohio, Mr. List was a longtime resident of Bethlehem, Pa. He was living in Roland Park and affiliated with the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer on Charles Street at the (( time of his death.
During World War II, he served in the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and converted the locomotive repair shop at Fort Benning, Ga., from steam to diesel-electric.
He received his undergraduate degree in mechanical engineering from Carnegie-Mellon University in 1946 and his master's from the University of Pennsylvania in 1950.
As a young engineer for the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia, where he worked from 1946 to 1947, he helped design and build the C&O; steam turbine-electric locomotives. He also assisted in building the last conventional steam engines for China, India and Western Maryland.
Mr. List was a member of several choirs and musical groups during his life, including the Bach Choir of Bethlehem, Pa., and the Bucks County Symphony Orchestra. He originated the Saucon Valley Brass Group and was a 25-year member of CANMAC, an amateur music group and camp in Montreal.
He was active in the American Railway Engineering Association in Washington and numerous railroad organizations, as well as the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Tau Beta Pi and Pi Tau Sigma.
He is survived by his wife of 44 years, Marie Fisher List; two sons, George F. List of Ballston, N.Y., and Douglass W. M. List of Baltimore; a daughter, Ruth M. List of Yardley, Pa; a brother, Douglass S. List of Pinehurst, N.C.; and five grandchildren. Services were held in Bethlehem April 4. Memorial donations may be made to the List Foundation for Amateur Music or the List Foundation for Engineering Education, in care of Railway Engineering Associates, 401 E. Pratt St., Suite 2233, Baltimore 21202.
Jules B. Saville, Crane operator
Jules Byron "Barney" Saville, a Navy veteran of World War II who had been a crane operator with Operating Engineers Local 37 in Baltimore, died Feb. 29 of a heart attack in Springfield, W.Va. He was 76.
A native of Romney, W.Va., he retired to Fort Ashby, W.Va., in 1985 with his wife, the former Nina M. Ratcliff. She died in 1987.
Mr. Saville was a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars in both Baltimore and Romney. He was a member of the Loyal Order of Moose and of the Trinity United Methodist Church in Fort Ashby.
Survivors include two daughters, Doris Treadway of Orlando, Fla., and Deana Dyer of Fort Ashby; a brother, Buss Saville of Romney; a sister, Daphnie Kulakowski of Fort Myers, Fla.; four grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
9- Services were held March 4 in Fort Ashby.
Victor E. Pryce Jr., N.Y. postal supervisor
Services for Victor E. Pryce Jr., a Randallstown resident who was a retired supervisor of mail handlers at the main post office in New York City, will be held at 9 a.m. tomorrow at St. Alban the Martyr Episcopal Church in St. Albans, N.Y.
Mr. Pryce, who was 69, died Wednesday after a heart attack at his home on Tiverton Road. He moved to Randallstown at the end of January after his marriage to the former Ellen Jones.
Born and reared in New York, he served in the Army in Europe during World War II.
He retired nearly eight years ago after 40 years in the postal service.
His first wife, Mamie Pryce, died in 1990.
In addition to his wife, Ellen, he is survived by a daughter, Monica Hudson of New York; five stepdaughters, Anne Howard, Louise Jones and Sandra Jones, all of New York, Jeanette Jones of Randallstown and Stephanie Dixon of Penns Grove, N.J.; a stepson, Michael Jones of Catonsville; 18 grandchildren; and 14 great-grandchildren.
J. Edward Tyler III, Businessman, lawyer
A Mass of Christian burial for J. Edward Tyler III, a retired Baltimore businessman and lawyer, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. John the Evangelist Catholic Church, Ritchie Highway and Cypress Creek Road, Severna Park.
Mr. Tyler, who was 79, died Wednesday at his home in Annapolis after a long heart illness.
He practiced law in Baltimore before World War II and later served as president of the Kimball-Tyler Co., a family cooperage firm that was one of Baltimore's oldest businesses.
A Baltimore native, he graduated from the Boys' Latin School. He received his bachelor's degree in business from Lehigh University and his law degree from the University of Maryland Law School.
Mr. Tyler worked as an attorney in Baltimore for several years before joining the Marine Corps during World War II. He served for two years in the South Pacific.
In 1940, he married Julia Anne Walton. Mr. Tyler had a lifelong interest in sailing. He and his wife moved to Annapolis in 1962.
He was active in the community and a member of numerous organizations, including the Annapolis Yacht Club, the Annapolitan Club and the New Providence Club. He helped found Ginger Cove, a retirement community, and served for one term as president of the Anne Arundel County Cancer Society.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by a sister, Margaret Tyler Archer of Concord, N.H.
Louis C. Crocetti, Baltimore-area builder
A Mass of Christian burial for Louis C. Crocetti, a retired self-employed contractor who opened Baltimore's first automatic car wash, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Holy Cross Catholic Church, 110 E. West St.
Mr. Crocetti, who was 84, died of cancer Friday at his home in Ellicott City.
Born in Italy, he completed fourth grade before emigrating with his family to Baltimore. He never went to high school, but continued his studies independently and took architecture courses at the University of Maryland.
Mr. Crocetti founded his own contracting company in 1932 and built homes throughout the Baltimore area before retiring in 1970. In 1953, he opened the city's first fully automatic car wash, the Super Speed Car Wash on Camden Street.
He later bought the Lucky Strike Bowling Alley in Park Circle. Mr. Crocetti was active in the Sons of Italy Della Noce Lodge, the Loyal Order of the Moose Lodge 1456, the Hamilton Democratic Club and the Brooklyn Boosters.
He and his wife of 52 years, the late Catherine Evans, lived in South Baltimore until her death in 1982.
In addition to his second wife, Margaret Ehrman, he is survived by two sons, Donald L. Crocetti of Davidsonville and Michael D. Crocetti of Pasadena; three brothers, Howard Crocetti of Eldersburg, and Edward and Ector Crocetti, both of Baltimore; a sister, Marie Shapp of Lake City, Fla.; four stepdaughters; one stepson; 19 grandchildren, and nine great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the Holy Cross Building Fund, 110 E. West St. 21230.
Ching Hua Chow, State highway engineer
Services for Ching Hua Chow, a retired state highway engineer and Baltimore area restaurateur, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Collins Funeral Home, 500 University Blvd., Silver Spring.
Mr. Chow, who was 72 and living in Washington, died of cancer Tuesday at Francis Scott Key Medical Center.
A native of Maoming, China, he graduated with a bachelor's degree in engineering from the National Sun Yat-sen University in 1942. He spent the next three years working as an assistant engineer with the Public Roads Administration of Chungking.
In 1945, he was one of a select group of scholars chosen to study abroad. He moved to New York City and received his master's degree from Columbia University in 1947.
Worried by the fast-approaching Communist revolution, Mr. Chow returned briefly to China to take his high school sweetheart to Hong Kong with him. He married Kwong Hua in 1950. The couple spent the next eight years in Hong Kong, while Mr. Chow served as professor of engineering at the Eurasia Institute of Technology and the University of Hong Kong.
In 1958, Mr. Chow immigrated with his wife and three children to Baltimore. He worked as a highway engineer for the State Highway Administration and rose to the position of assistant bureau chief of the Bureau of Soils and Founds before retiring in 1972.
Mr. Chow was well-known in the Baltimore Chinese community as an entrepreneur and owner of two successful restaurants. In 1969, he opened the Flower Drum in Randallstown. He sold the business in 1973 and opened another restaurant the following year, the Bamboo Inc. of Catonsville.
He also wrote two books, "Soil Mechanics" in 1943, and "Elementary Calculus" in 1956.
Mr. Chow is survived by his wife; three children, Flora, Clara and Simeon; and a grandson.
Kenneth W. Carey, Retired engineer
Services for Kenneth W. Carey, a retired engineer and music lover from Towson, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Ruck Funeral Home, 1050 York Road, Towson.
Mr. Carey, who had lived at the Hampton House Apartments on Joppa Road since 1985, died Thursday of a brain tumor at St. Joseph Hospital in Towson. He was 59.
A native of Brooklyn, N.Y., he spent most of his life in New York and New Jersey. He was transferred to Hunt Valley seven years ago.
He received his engineering degree from Brooklyn College. From 1952 to 1956, he served with the U.S. Air Force in Korea. After the war, he went to work as an engineer for Western Electric Co. and American Telephone & Telegraph Co.
In 1985, he married Jean Anderson-Sullivan, an opera singer. The couple moved to Towson that year. Mr. Carey retired Dec. 31, 1989. A lover of classical and jazz music, Mr. Carey collected hundreds of records.
He was a member of the Telephone Pioneers of America and the Towson chapter of the American Association of Retired People.
In addition to his wife, he is survived by his mother, Ethel, and brother, Mark, both of Somerset, N.J.; a sister, Valerie McClure of Round Rock, Texas; and two stepdaughters, Cathy Sullivan of Bowleys Quarters and Karen Bledsoe of Rosedale.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Johns Hopkins Hospital Oncology Center, 600 N. Wolfe St., Baltimore 21205.