Frederick man arrested, charged with molesting boy Suspect faces charges of molesting two other children


Because of an editing error, a quotation in a May 6 story about a Frederick man charged with sexually molesting young children over several years was mistakenly attributed to a Circuit Court judge. The quotation should be attributed to Assistant State's Attorney Barton F. Walker III.

A Frederick man accused of sexually molesting his 9-year-old niece several times between 1989 and 1991 was arrested Monday and charged with molesting a boy he was caring for in March.

The boy turned 7 Monday.

Charged with fourth-degree sexual offense and battery, the 42-year-old man was in the Carroll County Detention Center last night after a judge set his bail at $20,000.

According to court records, the man -- whose name is being withheld by The Carroll County Sun to protect the identity of his niece -- had picked the boy up from school March 16. In a Mount Airy mobile home sometime between 3:20 and 6:30 that afternoon, police said, the man tried to take off the boy's pants and underwear.

The man was arrested on the charges of molesting the boy Monday after appearing in court for a bail revocation hearing in the case involving his niece.

He was arrested on charges of sexually molesting his niece a year ago and also faces charges of sexually assaulting his niece's cousin in 1991.

Assistant State's Attorney Barton F. Walker III unsuccessfully tried to have the man's $10,000 cash bail in the charges involving his niece revoked, saying the man violated terms of his release by visiting his niece several times. Those visits, Walker said, have contributed to the girl's reluctance to testify against her uncle.

"We have a confused victim of tender years here," he told Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. during the hearing.

"We have a parent who really doesn't care, and we have a defendant who is a real danger to young children," Burns said.

The girl's mother, with whom she lives in a Mount Airy trailer home, does not believe her daughter's allegations and is expected to testify on behalf of her brother, court testimony showed.

The man was released in June after posting $10,000 bond.

The man cannot read or write, and, court records show, he does not know how far he has gone in his education.

Court records say the man touched his niece's genitals and forced her to engage in sex acts with him at her home.

If found guilty on all charges, the man could be sentenced to more than 45 years in jail.

Monday was supposed to be the first day of a jury trial to hear the cases involving the man's niece and her cousin. The niece's reluctance to testify prompted Burns to further postpone that trial.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad