Dr. H. Williams, health commissioner
Dr. Huntington Williams, who as Baltimore's health commissioner for three decades led the campaigns to restrict use of lead paint, fluoridate the water supply and establish a school dental program, died yesterday in his sleep at his home on West University Parkway.
He was 99.
Services for Dr. Williams, who retired in 1962, will be held at 10:30 a.m. tomorrow at the Episcopal Church of the Redeemer, Charles Street and Melrose Avenue.
He suffered what was characterized as a mild stroke two weeks ago.
Born in Baltimore, he was educated at the Calvert School, the Gilman School and St. George's School in Newport, R.I., before attending Harvard College, where he graduated in 1915.
The typhoid fever that in 1894 caused the death of his father, George Huntington Williams, the first professor of geology at the Johns Hopkins University, led to an early interest in public health, and while still a medical student at Johns Hopkins in 1918, Dr. Williams entered the new Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health. He received his medical degree in 1919 and a doctorate in public health in 1921.
He interned in Montreal at the Royal Victoria Hospital.
In 1922, Dr. Williams became a district state health officer in Albany, N.Y., and started a series of five-minute radio talks on health.
He moved to Baltimore's Health Department in 1931 as director and assistant commissioner. He was named acting commissioner before taking over as commissioner in 1933.
In 1941, Dr. Williams worked for the passage of Baltimore's Hygiene in Housing ordinance.
He continued his radio broadcasts after he returned to Baltimore, featuring slogans such as one about the danger of spoiled food, "When in Doubt, Throw it Out." In 1948, he started a television program, "Your Family Doctor."
He opened a series of district health offices and the first of them, near the Hopkins medical institutions, was renamed in his honor in 1978.
From 1931 to 1961, the year before his retirement, the infant mortality rate in Baltimore dropped from 74.5 per 1,000 births to 32; annual deaths from tuberculosis dropped from 789 to 148; cases of typhoid fever dropped from 107 to two annually; and diphtheria cases dropped from 416 to none.
During World War II, Dr. Williams was a consultant to the U.S. Office of Civil Defense and was a member of a group that went to London in 1941 to study the effects of the bombing. After the war, he was an adviser to the West German government.
He was on a panel of experts that advised the World Health Organization. He was professor of hygiene and public health at the University of Maryland Medical School and a lecturer and adjunct professor at the Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health.
A fellow and former vice president of the American Public Health Association and an honorary member of the Society of Medical Officers of Health of Great Britain, he was a founder and the first president of the U.S. Conference of City Health Officers.
In 1956, Sir Allen Daley, then medical officer of Greater London, ,, wrote, "Under the inspired leadership of Dr. Williams, the Baltimore City Health Department has a worldwide reputation. It is a Mecca for visitors in search of information about city health administration."
Dr. Williams was energetic in his pursuit of other interests as well. He was former president of the Baltimore Bibliophiles and ,, he headed the Library Committee of the Maryland Historical Society. He had been senior warden of the Church of the Redeemer and was a member of the Elkridge Club and the Society of Colonial Wars in the State of Maryland.
L His first wife, the former Mary Camilla McKim, died in 1960.
He is survived by his wife, the former Isabella van Wessem; two daughters, Mary Camilla Wallis of Newport Beach, Calif., and Cynthia Ballard of Sparks; two sons, the Rt. Rev. Huntington Williams Jr. of Raleigh, suffragan bishop of the Episcopal Diocese of North Carolina, and Dr. McKim Williams of Newport News, Va.; a stepson, Jules Kreykamp of Roudonck, Netherlands; 15 grandchildren; and 11 great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Church of the Redeemer or the Johns Hopkins School of Hygiene and Public Health.
Lt. Evelyn Scott
Services for Lt. Evelyn Francine Scott, a Baltimore native who enlisted in the Navy in 1978 and was commissioned in 1983 in the Navy's Medical Service Corps, will be held at 7:30 p.m. today at Good Tidings Baptist Church, 1400 Edison Highway.
Lieutenant Scott, 36, who had suffered from a respiratory illness, was found dead April 27 at her home in San Diego. She was administrative assistant to the director of branch clinic operations at the Naval Hospital in San Diego.
Earlier, she had worked in the office of the chief of naval operations and other offices in Washington and at Navy medical facilities in Jacksonville, Fla., Camp Pendleton, Calif., and in Japan.
A 1974 graduate of Northwestern Senior High School, she attended what is now Morgan State University. She was a member of the Army Reserve Officers' Training Corps before enlisting in the Navy.
While in the Navy, she completed her undergraduate studies and received a business degree in 1980 from the University of Maryland at College Park.
She also did work toward a master's degree in health care administration at Central Michigan and Webster universities.
During officer training at Newport, R.I., she received the Alfred Mahan Award for an essay on sea power.
A member of the National Academy of Songwriters, she wrote the words and music for ballads and commercial jingles and had a songwriting business, Musical Expressions. She was working on two books.
She is survived by her parents, Charles and Evelyn Ruth Scott of Baltimore; two sisters, Carolyn Stevenson of Woodlawn and Linda Scott of Baltimore; four bothers, Charles Scott of Oxon Hill, Leslie Scott of Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., Philip Scott of Baltimore and Randolph Scott of Augsburg, Germany; and many nieces and nephews.
Owned trucking firm
Frances V. Kretsinger, who bought a truck in the 1930s and operated a business transporting sugar and paper between Baltimore and Washington for more than a decade, died of heart failure in Carlsbad, Calif., on April 7. She was 85.
Born in Smithsburg in Washington County, she moved to Baltimore as a youngster. For a time, she was employed as a beautician in a shop here.
Called Kay by her friends, she was a charter member of the Women's Traffic and Transportation Club of Baltimore, founded in 1933. She also was a member of the Maryland Yacht Club and the United States Power Squadron.
Miss Kretsinger moved to California 10 years ago to be near a brother.
She is survived by her close friends, Evelyn Hegarty, Anne Boone and Catherine Noppinger, all of Baltimore.
At her request, her body was donated to science in California.
Richard P. Theroux
Richard P. Theroux, a biology teacher at Lansdowne Middle School who also taught on Saturdays at the Inner Harbor's Maryland Science Center, died of a heart attack Jan. 28 at his Baltimore home. He was 54.
He moved to Baltimore 27 years ago and taught at Lansdowne High School before moving to the faculty of Lansdowne Middle School in 1971.
Much of his spare time was dedicated to teaching children. On Saturdays at the Science Center, he taught Turn On To Science to preschool and elementary school students. He also led science seminars for older students.
His interests were not confined to science. He taught piano, studied the cello and spoke French and Greek fluently.
Mr. Theroux is survived by his sister, Bertha Graziosa; and two nephews, all of Waterbury.
A memorial service was held in Waterbury in January.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Dick Theroux Memorial Fund, Lansdowne Middle School, 2400 Lansdowne Road, Lansdowne 21227.
Helen V. W. Ross
Active in church work
Helen V. W. Ross, who was active in church work, died April 28 of pneumonia at Mercy Medical Center. She was 83.
Services for Mrs. Ross, who lived on Druid Park Lake Drive, were held Saturday at Mount Calvary Pentecostal Faith Church, where she was a member of the Missionary Board, the Mothers Club, the Pastor's Aides and the Senior Choir.
The former Helen V. Whorl was a native of Petersburg, Va. She moved to Baltimore as a young woman. Her husband, Joseph Ross, a retired longshoreman, died in 1977.
She is survived by two daughters, Eloise R. Collins and Ida R. Monk, both of Baltimore; two sons, Theodore Ross of New York City and William Ross of Baltimore; and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren.
Glenn Cecil Henley
Glenn Cecil Henley, who worked for Baltimore County's Department of Recreation and Parks before being appointed parks director in Akron, Ohio, in 1964, died April 9 of heart disease at a veterans' hospital in Washington. He was 69.
The resident of Hedgesville, W.Va., was a graduate of West Virginia and Syracuse universities. He retired in 1974.
The World War II Navy veteran is survived by his friend, Ralph E. Bond of Hedgesville; three sisters, Rachel Ann Luffman of Akron, Elizabeth G. LaPradd of Roanoke, Va., and Mary L. Conti of Lawrenceville, N.J.; and nieces, nephews, grandnieces and a grandnephew.
Services for Mr. Henley were private. The family suggested memorial donations to the American Heart Association.
Clifton W. Jenkins
Clifton W. Jenkins, who drafted legislation for the Harford County government before his retirement three years ago and who remained active in volunteer work, died Friday of a heart ailment at his home in Churchville. He was 47.
A Mass of Christian burial for Mr. Jenkins was offered yesterday at St. Margaret's Roman Catholic Church in Bel Air.
Until he retired because of ill health, he was employed by the county for 17 years.
The North Carolina native grew up in Baltimore. He was a graduate of Patterson High School and earned a law degree at the University of Baltimore in 1973.
He served in the Coast Guard in the early 1960s. He was president of Heart Transplant Foundation Inc. at Johns Hopkins Hospital and was a member of the advisory board of the Harford County government television channel. He was also a volunteer at Fallston General Hospital.
He is survived by his wife, the former Kathleen P. Back; and a daughter, Kristine J. Jenkins of Churchville.
Ellen D. Hitchcock
Ellen D. Hitchcock, 93, a former News American society reporter, died April 15 of heart failure at the home of a daughter in Warrenton, Va.
Mrs. Hitchcock lived in Washington for the past 30 years.
She grew up in Baltimore and was a graduate of the Bryn Mawr School.
The former Ellen Dickinson Thomas was an accomplished pianist. She studied at the Peabody Conservatory of Music in the 1930s and 1940s.
A former board member of the Maryland Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, she maintained an interest in the welfare of animals throughout her life. She also wrote poetry.
Mrs. Hitchcock lived in Roland Park before she and her husband, Ralph V. Hitchcock, moved to Washington.
Mr. Hitchcock and a daughter, Ellen D. Mitchell, both died in 1976.
Mrs. Hitchcock is survived by her daughter, Cynthia Donoho Ensor of Warrenton; and two grandsons.
Private services were planned.