William Worsley Jr.
Services for William Worsley Jr., a 42-year-old Baltimore jewelry merchant, will be held at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow at the March Funeral Home West, 4300 Wabash Ave.
Born in Baltimore, Mr. Worsley was a 1967 graduate of the Baltimore Polytechnic Institute. He won a football scholarship to Virginia State College in Petersburg. After less than a year, he returned to Baltimore to help support his family.
While attending Baltimore Junior College, he got a job with a downtown clothing store for three years and then decided to go into business for himself.
In the mid-1970s, he opened the Gemini Jewelry Store on Mulberry Street, where he remained for about five years. About 1980, he bought a wholesale business, Baltimore Jewelry Supply on Harford Road in Hamilton and operated it for about four years.
After a serious bout with diabetes, Mr. Worsley spent seven months in the Maryland Shock Trauma Center, where his right leg was amputated. He then spent another three months learning to use an artificial leg at Montebello Rehabilitation Hospital.
Despite this setback, he sold jewelry at the Corner Store on Franklin Street from about 1989 until his death. About six months ago, he opened the Christopher Charles Gallery, an African art gallery, in the same building.
Mr. Worsley enjoyed reading, especially science fiction books, and listening to a variety of music from Jimi Hendrix of the late 1960s to modern rap music. He also collected African sculpture.
He is survived by his mother, Christine Worsley of Windsor Hills; his father, William Worsley Sr. of Baltimore; a son, Christopher Charles Worsley; two sisters, Diane M. Worsley, and Joyce C. Worsley, both of Windsor Hills.
The family suggests contributions to the American Diabetes Association, 2 Reservoir Circle Pikesville 21208. Services for Harry Enten, who had been a pharmacist, an insurance and real estate broker, a champion fencer, a sculptor and a painter in the impressionist style, will be held at 10 a.m. tomorrow at Sol Levinson & Bros. funeral establishment, 6010 Reisterstown Road.
Mr. Enten, who was 77, lived on Patterson Avenue in Lochearn.
He died Friday of pneumonia at the Meridian Nursing Center-Long Green.
An insurance broker since the early 1950s who also sold real estate part of that time, he had owned and operated a drug store on Garrison Boulevard near Piedmont Avenue.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of City College and the University of Maryland school of pharmacy, where he earned bachelor's and master's degrees and a doctorate.
A fencer for much of his life, he won state championships with the epee, foil and saber in the 1940s and 1950s. He also studied karate.
He taught fencing at Catonsville Community College for a dozen years before becoming ill in December.
He had studied painting and design at what now is the Maryland Institute College of Art.
He had traveled throughout the world and spent parts of many winters in Puerto Rico.
He is survived by his wife, the former Edith Lipsitz; two sons, D. Robert Enten of Towson and Clifford J. Enten of Golden, Colo.; one daughter, Bonita Bryant of Taos, N.M.; three brothers, Robert Enten of Silver Spring, Paul Enten of Arlington, Va., and Frank Enten, also of the Washington area; and three grandchildren.
Norman L. Fitch
Norman L. Fitch, who had retired as a tool designer at the Baltimore-Washington International Airport plant of the Westinghouse Electric Corp., died Feb. 12 of cancer at his home on Hollyberry Road in West Severna Park.
He was 72.
Before his final retirement about two years ago, he had worked part time for several years.
He had a long career with Westinghouse and received several commendations for his work. Earlier, he worked for the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Corp.
Born in Baltimore, he attended Patterson Park High School before graduating from the Polytechnic Institute. He studied later at the old Maryland Institute on Market Place.
He played baseball and football while at Patterson Park and as a young man pitched for sandlot baseball teams.
He served in the Navy in the Pacific during World War II.
Mr. Fitch is survived by his wife of 51 years, the former Helen Catherine Trainor; one daughter, Cathy Waugh of Irvine, Calif.; three brothers, Albert Fitch of Dundalk, Ralph Fitch of Betterton and Arthur Fitch of Rosedale; one sister, Dorothy Fitch of Baltimore; and three grandsons.
A Mass of Christian burial was offered Feb. 15 for Mr. Fitch at St. Dominic's Roman Catholic Church.
A Memorial Mass for Lawrence W. Krepner, a lifelong employee of the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co., will be offered at 10 a.m. tomorrow at St. John the Evangelist Church, Ritchie Highway and Cypress Creek Road, Severna Park.
Mr. Krepner, who lived in Severna Park since 1972, died Wednesday of cancer at Anne Arundel Medical Center. He was 67.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of the Polytechnic Institute and the Johns Hopkins University.
Shortly after he graduated from high school, Mr. Krepner started working for C&P; Telephone Co. as a cable splicer's helper.
In the years following, he worked for the phone company wiring switchboards, accounting, supervising a business office and served on a crisis management team. He retired in 1983.
From 1942 to 1945, he served as a radioman and nose gunner on a U.S Navy PBY flying boat that performed search and rescue and submarine-hunting duties in the Pacific and Atlantic oceans.
In 1948, he married the former Gwynneth Moulton, who died in 1986.
Mr. Krepner was a member of the Maryland Telephone Pioneers, and enjoyed traveling, sailing and repairing, restoring and collecting antique clocks.
He is survived by one son, Michael Krepner of Waldoboro, Maine; one daughter, Patricia Krepner of Bangor, Maine; one brother, Francis Krepner of Gardenville; one sister, Mary Croghan of Severna Park; and his longtime companion, Lucy Long of Severna Park.
The family suggests contributions to the American Cancer Society, 8219 Town Center Drive, White Marsh 21236.
George E. Bothoff
Services for George Enoch Bothoff, a retired purchasing supervisor at Towson State University, will be at 10 a.m. tomorrow at the E. F. Lassahn Funeral Home, 11750 Belair Road, Kingsville.
Mr. Bothoff, a Kingsville resident for 42 years, died Thursday at Fallston General Hospital after a heart attack. He was 84.
Born in Pittsburgh, he was raised in Chicago and attended schools there. During World War II, Mr. Bothoff made patterns used in manufacturing artillery in Chicago.
In 1950, Mr. Bothoff moved from Chicago to Kingsville to live near relatives in the area.
He first worked in Maryland as a patternmaker for the Glenn L. Martin Co., now Martin Marietta Co.
He also made machinery patterns for other companies in the Baltimore area until 1967, when he took a job with the purchasing department of Towson State University. He retired as a supervisor in the department in 1977.
He was a Freemason for 46 years, belonging to lodges in Park Ridge, Ill., Bel Air and Cockeysville. He was a past patron of Overlea Chapter No. 85, Order of the Eastern Star, and a member of its Past Matrons and Past Patrons Association. He was also a member of the Tall Cedars of Lebanon, Baltimore Forest No. 45, and past president of its bowling league and a member of its tuxedo parade unit.
Mr. Bothoff was a past commander of Monumental Commandery No. 3, Knights of Templar, Baltimore, and a member of its Tuscan Royal Arch Chapter No. 42, Towson, and its Jerusalem Council No. 2, Royal and Select Masters of Maryland.
NB He is survived by his wife of 55 years, the former Mabel King.
Beatrice Smith Carter
Debt collector, volunteer
Services for Beatrice Smith Carter, a retired Social Security Administration employee, will be held at noon tomorrow at Union Baptist Church, 1219 Druid Hill Ave.
Mrs. Carter, a Lower Park Heights resident for more than 30 years, died Monday at Liberty Medical Center of respiratory and kidney failure. She was 69.
The oldest of four children, Mrs. Carter was born in Baltimore and was a 1940 graduate of Frederick Douglass High School.
In the 1940s, she began working as a waitress at the Baltimore Country Club. She married a waiter at the club, Robert V. Carter, and the two were married for about 30 years. Mr. Carter died in 1984.
In 1966, Mrs. Carter took a job as a debt collector with the Social Security Administration in Woodlawn. She retired in 1984.
She was a member of the Gertrude Neal Circle; Arts and Crafts Guild, St. Luke's Guild and the Union Baptist Church, where she sang in the Sanctuary Choir.
She was a volunteer in the Head Start program.
Mrs. Carter was also a member of the Femmes Continentals and the Martiniques social clubs. She was an officer of the Douglass High School Alumni Association.
She is survived by a foster daughter, Rebecca Berry of Baltimore; and a brother, Andrew C. Smith Sr.
The family suggests contributions to the Union Baptist Church Sanctuary Choir, 1219 Druid Hill Ave., Baltimore, Md., 21217.
Charles H. Amrhine
Retired bank executive
Services for Charles H. Amrhine, a retired Maryland National Bank executive, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Loring-Byers Funeral Home, 8728 Liberty Road, Randallstown.
A Pikesville resident for 60 years, Mr. Amrhine died Thursday of cancer at his home. He was 82.
He was born in Highlandtown and graduated from City College. He was 16 years old when he began working as a messenger for the Fidelity Trust Co., which later became Maryland National Bank.
For 22 years, Mr. Amrhine worked for the bank while attending night school. He earned a bachelor of science degree from the Johns Hopkins University and a law degree from the University of Maryland at Baltimore. He also became a certified public accountant during those years.
Mr. Amrhine rose from messenger to statistician at the bank, and was promoted to head auditor in 1954. In 1955 he was appointed trust officer. In 1965 he was named assistant vice president in the trust department, a post he held for 10 years before retiring in 1975.
In 1930, he married the former Iva Anne Woodring, who died in 1987.
After his retirement, he continued practicing law and ran a tax consulting practice until his death.
Mr. Amrhine was a member of Loch Hill Chapel in Parkside.
He is survived by two daughters, Ann L. Wicks of Ocean City, and Jane A. Mann of Randallstown; two sisters, Emma Jane Soffos of Pikesville, and Mary Riesett of Parkville; one brother, Henry A. Amrhine of Parkville; four grandsons; and three great-grandchildren.
The family suggested memorial contributions to the Visiting Nurse Association-Hospice, 6000 Metro Drive, Baltimore 21215, or Loch Hill Chapel, 6601 Loch Raven Blvd., Baltimore 21234.
Madge H. Whitmore
Retired bank teller
Services for Madge H. Whitmore, a retired Provident Savings Bank teller, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at Barranco and Sons Severna Park Funeral Home, Ritchie Highway and Robinson Road.
A native of Baltimore and resident of Remington for 52 years, Mrs. Whitmore died of cancer Thursday at her home in Sudlersville. She was 81.
She worked as a teller for Provident Savings Bank for about 30 years, retiring as head teller in the late 1960s.
Mrs. Whitmore was raised in Remington and married for more than 50 years to Jess L. Whitmore, who died about 14 years ago.
In 1967, the couple moved to Reisterstown, where Mrs. hTC Whitmore lived until four years ago, when she moved to Cape St. Claire. About four months ago, she went to live with her daughter, Lois W. Fry, in Sudlersville in Queen Anne's County.
She was a member of the Reisterstown chapter of the Order of the Eastern Star.
Besides her daughter, she is survived by one son, E. Eugene Whitmore of Cape St. Claire; four grandchildren; and four great-grandchildren.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the Kent County Hospice Foundation, 125 S. Lynchburg St., Chestertown 21620.
Mary R. McCluskey
Mother of seven
Services for Mary R. McCluskey, homemaker and mother of seven, will be held at 1 p.m. tomorrow at Fork Christian Church, Stoney Batter Road and Sunshine Avenue in Fork.
Mrs. McCluskey, a Seaford, Del., resident for two years, died Thursday at Nanticoke Memorial Hospital after suffering a heart attack. She was 78.
She was born in Kingsville, where she was raised and lived with her husband of more than 30 years, Harry L. McCluskey Sr.
After Mr. McCluskey died in 1972, Mrs. McCluskey moved to Germantown, where she lived for 17 years.
L Throughout her adult life, she did sewing and domestic work.
She was a member of the Christian Life Center in Gaithersburg and a former member of Fork Christian Church.
She is survived by four sons, James McCluskey of Blades, Del., Harry McCluskey Jr. of Frederick, Kenneth McCluskey of Preston, and Leland McCluskey of Seaford; one daughter, Ruby Ruppert of Chicago; and a number of grandchildren and great-grandchildren. She is also survived by two sisters, Annie E. Dilworth of Preston and Marjorie R. St. Dennis of Towson.