Policeman hurt in car collisionA police officer...


Policeman hurt in car collision

A police officer was injured yesterday when his patrol car was struck by another vehicle in the 5200 block of Parkside Drive, a police traffic investigator said.

Officer John Dodge, the investigator, said Officer Timothy Rice was responding to a call to assist a policeman and was eastbound in on Parkside about 4:40 p.m. when he stopped at the stop sign at the intersection with the 4700 block of Sinclair Lane.

Officer Rice, 21, reported he was not using the car's siren or flashing lights.

He said that when he proceeded into the intersection, his car was struck by a 1977 Lincoln Continental that was southbound on Sinclair Lane.

The collision caused serious damage to both vehicles. Officer Rice was being treated at the Maryland Shock Trauma Center for possible hip and back injuries. A hospital spokesman said he was expected to be released today.

Lester A. Cox, of Thomasville, Ga., was not injured.

Officer Dodge said traffic charges against Officer Rice were pending the investigation of the collision.

Federal authorities investigating the forgery of 300 driver's licenses on the University of Maryland campus are offering students a chance to turn in the phony IDs without facing charges.

David M. Adams, a Secret Service agent involved with the investigation, said yesterday that students who bought the $60 licenses can mail or bring the IDs to the campus police office. No deadline has been set for their return.

People who don't turn over the licenses face a maximum $500 fine and two months in prison if they are caught.

Mr. Adams said the government wants the fake licenses back because they can be used for a range of illegal activities in addition to underage drinking.

Bradley T. Yarnell, the UM student charged with the forgeries, said yesterday that he has provided the Secret Service with the names of students who bought the IDs to help authorities recover the fakes.

If convicted on state charges,Yarnell, 20, of Cherry Hill, N.J., faces up to $2,000 in fines and two years in prison for each license made. No federal charges have been filed.

Anne Arundel:

County police reported a Glen Burnie woman died yesterday of injuries and an apparent heart attack following a traffic accident near her home.

Police said Pauline Estella Enders, 71, of the first block of Country Club Drive, was southbound on Furnace Branch Road about 1:33 p.m. and was attempting to turn left onto County Club Drive when she collided with a car headed north on Furnace Branch Road.

Both drivers suffered head and chest injuries, police said.

At the scene, Mrs. Enders suffered an apparent heart attack. She died shortly before 2:30 p.m. at North Arundel Hospital, police said.

Police said the other driver, Martin Barrett Burney, 35, of the 300 block of Gatewater Court in Glen Burnie, was in fair condition today at the University of Maryland Medical Center.

Baltimore County:

County school board members will travel to Florida next week to attend a National School Board Conference April 24-28 in Orlando.

All 10 board members plan to go, said board President Rosalie Hellman, adding that the cost of the trip is estimated at $9,000. The money will be taken from the school budget, which set aside $11,000 for board meetings and conventions during fiscal year 1992.

The annual conference, which attracts more than 20,000 educators nationwide, is an opportunity for board members to learn about "what's going on nationally with education issues," Mrs. Hellman said.


After bilking more than 30 Carroll businesses in a scheme in which he took down payments for advertising fliers he never delivered, Howard Kirk Blaustein may spend time in jail.

If the authorities find him.

Blaustein, 34, was convicted in August of selling bogus advertising to 18 North Carroll businesses. In February, he was charged with duping about a dozen more county businesses. He never went to court to answer the charges and Circuit Judge Luke K. Burns Jr. issued a warrant for his arrest.

Blaustein, a Reisterstown resident, was sentenced in January to a one-year suspended sentence, supervised probation and restitution for the August conviction. He could have received up to 15 years in jail.


A Forest Hill man convicted of sexually abusing his 11-year-old daughter between April 1989 and October 1990 was recently sentenced to 35 years in prison.

The man was found guilty of various charges during a Circuit Court trial in February. The 55-year-old defendant, whose name is not being published to protect the victim's identity, faced a maximum sentence of 65 years in jail.


A two-alarm fire last night in an Elkridge garage, whose owner restores vintage cars, seriously damaged a 1955 Chevrolet and a 1932 Chevrolet that were nearly completely restored, said a spokesman for the county Fire Department.

No injuries were reported.

In addition to the two vintage cars, each valued at $20,000, the fire also damaged or destroyed more than 100 model cars, special tools used for restoration work, and other pieces of auto restoration equipment.

Battalion Chief Donald Howell said a fire of unknown cause broke out inside a two-car garage at the home of Arthur Kraft in the 6300 block of Woodburn Ave. shortly after 11:40 p.m. The fire went to two alarms in less than 15 minutes, Chief Howell said.

Chief Howell said besides the two cars and a quantity of tools, the garage also contained oxygen tanks and other welding equipment.

The fire was declared under control at 12:16 a.m. today and caused at least $125,000 damage to the garage and its contents, Chief Howell said.

Copyright © 2019, The Baltimore Sun, a Baltimore Sun Media Group publication | Place an Ad