Laura V. Riley
Headed patient services
Graveside services for Laura V. Riley, former nursing supervisor in the Halstead surgical unit at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, will be held at 2.30 p.m. today at Loudon Park Cemetery, 3801 Frederick Ave.
Miss Riley, who was 88, died Thursday of congestive heart failure in the Mallard Bay Nursing Center in Cambridge.
She retired in 1969 after 10 years as head of patient services, a hospital department that handled special needs of patients and their families from out of town, including interpreters when needed for patients from abroad.
Born in Baltimore, she was a graduate of St. Mary's School in Peekskill, N.Y., and of the Johns Hopkins Hospital Nursing School.
A former resident of the Pinehurst area, she moved to St. Michaels after her retirement.
She is survived by three nieces, Julia R. LaMotte of Savannah, Ga., Helen Patton of Cashiers, N.C., and Sidney A. Willson of Woodbine; and a nephew, Douglas Riley of Dallas.
Robert E. Hicks
Robert E. Hicks, supervisor of an engineering design group at the Johns Hopkins University's Applied Physics Laboratory, died last Tuesday after a heart attack at his home in New Windsor. He was 58.
He had held the supervisory post in the Technical Services Department of the laboratory since 1989. Mr. Hicks was an associate engineer at the Middle River plant of the Martin Marietta Corp. from 1952 to 1963, when he first joined the laboratory staff.
He was an expert on films to which electrical circuits for satellites could be affixed, on hybrid circuits that use parts originally designed for another use, and on the protective packages of microelectronic circuits for different uses, including implantable medical devices that automatically deliver medicine or defibrillate the heart.
From 1985 to 1989, he worked for AAI Corp. in Cockeysville, where he was operations manager and later director of electronic production engineering.
Born in Baltimore, he was a graduate of Kenwood High School and the Johns Hopkins University. He served in the Army in the mid-1950s.
He moved from Catonsville, where he was an adult leader of Boy Scout troops, to New Windsor about four years ago. He also maintained a home at Fishing Creek on the Eastern Shore.
He is survived by his wife, the former Janet Smetana; a daughter, Nancy Stevens of Hanover, Pa.; a son, Robert E. Hicks Jr. of Glen Burnie; his mother, Evelyn Hicks of Essex; a brother, Walter Hicks of Ocean Pines; a sister, Maralee Cameron of Middleborough; and a grandson.
Services were held Saturday at the D. D. Hartzler & Sons Funeral Home in New Windsor.
Granvel Stewart Sr.
Granvel F. "Jack" Stewart Sr., an employment specialist who helped recruit German scientists for the U.S. space program at the end of World War II, died March 3 at St. Joseph's Hospital after a 12-day illness. He was 86.
Mr. Stewart was hospitalized after suffering an apparent stroke and never regained consciousness. A memorial service was held March 12 at the Towson United Methodist Church in the 500 block of Hampton Lane, near his home of 19 years, in Towson.
Born in Keyser, W.Va., in 1905, Mr. Stewart left in 1922 to attend West Virginia University in Morgantown, where he graduated summa cum laude. He later did postgraduate work at the Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore.
He then went to work for Maryland's state employment depart
ment, and when World War II broke out, he recruited defense workers for Maryland's burgeoning war industries.
At the close of the war, Mr. Stewart worked as a civilian for the federal government, finding and recruiting former German government scientists to help boost the United States into the space age, and at the same time deny their expertise to the former Soviet Union.
He later worked in personnel for the banking industry, and finally returned to Maryland state government in 1969 as an employment counselor, retiring in 1973. He operated a small accounting business for another decade.
Mr. Stewart was active in the Methodist Church, serving as lay delegate to the Baltimore Annual Conference for 43 years. He had been active for the past 18 years with the Towson United Methodist Church, and enjoyed traveling, classical music, reading and railroading.
His first wife, Wilmetta Patton, died in 1958.
Mr. Stewart is survived by his wife, Eleanor Hook Stewart; two sons, Granvel F. Stewart Jr., of Belgium and Harold E. Hook of Culpeper, Va.; three grandchildren; and many nieces and nephews.
Contributions may be made to Towson United Methodist Church.
John M. Martini
A Mass of Christian burial for John M. Martini, a retired industrial arts teacher and an electrician who operated his own contracting business, will be offered at 10 a.m. today in the chapel of Stella Maris Hospice, 2300 Dulaney Valley Road.
Mr. Martini, who lived on Bagley Avenue in Parkville and was active in that community's affairs, died Friday of cancer at Stella Maris. He was 88.
He retired in 1969 after 27 years as an industrial arts teacher at Gwynns Falls Junior High School.
Before moving to Baltimore in 1942, he had been a teacher or athletic coach at schools in La Plata and Indian Head, Md.; Red Lion, Pa.; and St. Cloud, Minn.
The native of Sauk Rapids, Minn., was a graduate of Minnesota State College. He did graduate work at Pennsylvania State University, the University of Maryland and the Johns Hopkins University.
In Minnesota, as a member of his high school track team, he set a state record for the mile that lasted for many years.
A master electrician, he operated his own contracting business for many years, specializing in rewiring older houses, and also worked at the Maryland Shipbuilding and Drydock Co. and the Key Highway shipyard of the Bethlehem Steel Corp.
In Parkville, he was a Boy Scout leader, and an organizer and president of the Parkville Library Association, which helped to obtain a branch library for the community.
He had been president, treasurer and -- for 25 years -- secretary of the Parkville Lions Club, and he was a Lions' zone chairman and deputy governor in District 22A.
Active in Democratic politics, he had been a precinct executive for the party and a member of the 11th-14th District Democratic Club.
His first wife, the former Florence K. Dunn, died in 1962. His second wife, the former Mary R. O'Heir, died in 1972.
He is survived by a son, M. Robert Martini of Catonsville; a sister, Regina Martini of St. Cloud; and two grandchildren.
Artemas W. Jones
Services for Artemas W. Jones, a retired printer for McCormick & Co., will be held at 10 a.m. today at the Hubbard Funeral Home, 4107 Wilkens Ave.
Mr. Jones, who was 84, died Friday of cancer at his home on Harman Avenue.
He retired in 1972 after working at McCormick since 1947. During World War II, he worked at the Bethlehem Steel shipyard at Fairfield.
A Native of Linn, W.Va., he was a graduate of what is now Glenville State College in West Virginia. He taught in a one-room school in Linn before moving to Baltimore in 1941.
He is survived by his wife of 50 years, the former Clarice Heater; three daughters, Rita Anne Jones of Colorado Springs, Colo., Rosalee Cantrell of Glen Burnie and Janet Cantone of Berkeley Springs, W.Va.; a sister, Belva Snyder of Buckhannon, W.Va.; five grandchildren; and two great-grandchildren.
Agnes H. Della
A memorial service for Agnes Helen Della, the wife of the late state senator, George W. Della III, and mother of Sen. George W. Della Jr., will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday at the Episcopal Church of the Advent, 1301 S. Charles St.
Mrs. Della died Friday at her home in Westminster of cancer. She was 83.
She was a volunteer for more than 50 years at the old South Baltimore General Hospital, now the Harbor Hospital Center. When she started at the hospital, volunteers pushed carts selling candy and magazines to the patients. They eventually raised enough money to open a gift shop when the new hospital building opened on South Hanover Street.
At one time, she served as president of the women's auxiliary. She was also involved as a membership chairwoman for the Maryland Association of Hospitals.
The former Agnes Mattare was born in Northeast Baltimore near Clifton Park. She attended Baltimore public schools and graduated from Eastern High School.
After high school, she went to work for the Chesapeake & Potomac Telephone Co. and left in the late 1930s to raise her family. She married Mr. Della in 1936. Mr. Della died in August 1990.
The Dellas were longtime residents of Federal Hill before moving in the late 1960s to the Whitaker Farm, the former residence of Whittaker Chambers, who accused Alger Hiss of being a spy based on microfilm of classified documents that he had hidden in a pumpkin at the farm.
Mrs. Della had been a member since 1953 of Bou-Tem-Sci of Baltimore, a women's organization of the Boumi Temple on North Charles Street. She was a longtime volunteer for the American Cancer Society.
She was also a member of the Sherry Club, a Carroll County women's club.
She is survived by two sons, state Senator Della and Howard R. Della; one daughter, Mary Elizabeth Massing, all of Baltimore; and two grandchildren, Elizabeth Massing and George W. Della IV, also of Baltimore.
The family suggests memorial contributions to the Harbor Hospital auxiliary, 3001 S. Hanover St., Baltimore 21225.
Ruth P. Llewellyn
North Carolina native
Graveside services for Ruth Pitchford Llewellyn, who had lived in Baltimore since 1988, will be held at 11 a.m. tomorrow at the Oakwood Cemetery in Concord, N.C.
Mrs. Llewellyn, who was 90, died Saturday of congestive heart failure at the home of her daughter on Druid Hill Avenue.
The native of Oxford, N.C., was a graduate of Oxford College. She taught at schools in Dodson, N.C., before her marriage in 1925 to Clement Manley Llewellyn, who was a superior court judge in Concord when he died in 1969.
Mrs. Llewellyn was in Baltimore with her husband in 1950, when the onetime New York Yankees pitcher was commissioner of the Junior World Series and the International League Orioles were defeated by a Columbus, Ohio team.
She is survived by her daughter, Ann Llewellyn McKenzie of Baltimore; a son, Clement M. Llewellyn Jr. of Virginia Beach; two sisters, Ola P. Carrington of Oxford and Winky P. Meadows of West Melbourne, Fla., and Asheville, N.C.; five grandchildren and four great-grandchildren.